Brexit Penny Dropping?

ManxTaxPayer

It was blindingly obvious that Banks was trying to crush Cadwalladr financially for simply trying to do her job.

Fortunately the judge knew it too.

But she's right that arseholes with money shouldn't be allowed to behave like that....

• Like 2

Have to confess I can't take the credit, it was coined by a Tory Grandee.

But as the Leave camp's precious Brexit is turning out to be a complete and utter clusterf~ck in every possible way he has a point. I think all those who voted for brexit should pay an extra tax to make up for the financial hit the rest of us have to suffer due to their folly....

So @Kipper99 , what brexit benefits have you accrued?

Edited by P.K.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, P.K. said:

But as the Leave camp's precious Brexit is turning out to be a complete and utter clusterf~ck in every possible way he has a point. I think all those who voted for brexit should pay an extra tax to make up for the financial hit the rest of us have to suffer due to their folly....

None. I didn’t expect there to be any. 

The biggest downside has been the idiots on both sides still harping on all these years later.

It is what it is. We have to get on with it. You looking back and whining doesn’t change anything. Just makes you look smug, entitled and, frankly, an intellectual pigmy.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

If you think Brexit was purely a financial issue then you will never understand the way the vote went the way it did.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kipper99 said:

None. I didn’t expect there to be any. 

The biggest downside has been the idiots on both sides still harping on all these years later.

It is what it is. We have to get on with it. You looking back and whining doesn’t change anything. Just makes you look smug, entitled and, frankly, an intellectual pigmy.

Dear me, don't you learn anything from history?

Thatcher polarised the country, sacrificed communities on the alter of political dogma and made a virtue out of greed. That was in 1984 onwards.

On her death in 2013, some 29 years later, there was an outpouring of pure hatred for one of the most divisive figures in UK politics.

The Bozo legacy is probably worse when all the lies and shenanigans around the totally stupid brexit are taken into account. And all for Bozo's personal gain....

It's simply human nature. So don't try and lecture people who have had "difficulties" because of the totally stupid and completely unnecessary brexit.

Incidentally, if you're trying to insult people you know nothing about on "intellectual" grounds then you really need to learn how to spell the word "pygmy" ASAFP. Otherwise you'll just make yourself look foolish. Again...

Hope this helps!

On 6/19/2022 at 9:25 AM, P.K. said:

It was blindingly obvious that Banks was trying to crush Cadwalladr financially for simply trying to do her job.

Fortunately the judge knew it too.

But she's right that arseholes with money shouldn't be allowed to behave like that....

Oh look! The judge agrees to an appeal...

Screenshot_20220625-084752~2.png

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

What do Nadhim Zahawi, the current Chancellor of the Exchequer, the man who banged on about ‘Metropolitan Elites betraying the will of ordinary people…’, the man who deeply cares about his horses, as evidenced by his desire to use public money to pay “for second home energy bills that related to electricity for (private) stables” and Jeremy Corbyn, the former leader of the Labour Party and a Marxist who at the height of the MPs expenses scandal was consistently identified as a parliamentarian with lowest expenses claims, have in common? An answer is – both, at some point in their political careers, supported Brexit. 

As much as I like to dismiss the loonies on the right, it pains me to acknowledge that there are also plenty on the left who have historically distrusted the EU, albeit for completely different reasons. The uncanny schism is that while the far-right regard the EU as being too liberal, the far-left consider the EU as too reactionary, too ‘establishment’. Sadly, this is a serious issue with Labour ranks, and it is going to be an uphill battle to convince working-class voters in the so-called ‘Red Wall’ constituencies that the EU is not an ‘evil empire’ - rampant domestic inequality and social injustice, which are largely within the purview of the domestic government of the day,  are the sources and solutions of all of their other problems, and that what they should be rallying against.

If it was good enough for John Maynard Keynes to quip that “When the facts change, I change my mind - what do you do, sir?”, then I am certain that the time will come when majority will finally accept that Brexit is a con. Ultimately, the facts will clearly speak for themselves. 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 11:14 PM, P.K. said:

Incidentally, if you're trying to insult people you know nothing about on "intellectual" grounds then you really need to learn how to spell the word "pygmy" ASAFP. Otherwise you'll just make yourself look foolish. Again...

Hope this helps!

Not that I’m looking to defend Kipper99, P.K., but I’ve always used pigmy as a general noun and Pygmy as a real noun. Looked it up. Seems both are correct, and Kipper99 is correct/you wrong.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, code99 said:

What do Nadhim Zahawi, the current Chancellor of the Exchequer, the man who banged on about ‘Metropolitan Elites betraying the will of ordinary people…’, the man who deeply cares about his horses, as evidenced by his desire to use public money to pay “for second home energy bills that related to electricity for (private) stables” and Jeremy Corbyn, the former leader of the Labour Party and a Marxist who at the height of the MPs expenses scandal was consistently identified as a parliamentarian with lowest expenses claims, have in common? An answer is – both, at some point in their political careers, supported Brexit. 

As much as I like to dismiss the loonies on the right, it pains me to acknowledge that there are also plenty on the left who have historically distrusted the EU, albeit for completely different reasons. The uncanny schism is that while the far-right regard the EU as being too liberal, the far-left consider the EU as too reactionary, too ‘establishment’. Sadly, this is a serious issue with Labour ranks, and it is going to be an uphill battle to convince working-class voters in the so-called ‘Red Wall’ constituencies that the EU is not an ‘evil empire’ - rampant domestic inequality and social injustice, which are largely within the purview of the domestic government of the day,  are the sources and solutions of all of their other problems, and that what they should be rallying against.

If it was good enough for John Maynard Keynes to quip that “When the facts change, I change my mind - what do you do, sir?”, then I am certain that the time will come when majority will finally accept that Brexit is a con. Ultimately, the facts will clearly speak for themselves. 

The left always distrusted the EEC/EU because it was an organisation with right wing aims. No state subsidies, privatisation, even reducing provision of social security in relation to their GDP. Then of course free trade and trade unions were not keen on free movement of labour.

Historically the left were more anti EU. It was the for EU president Jacque Delors who decided to court the left.

The emphasis on treaty binding workers rights, the Social Chapter was the clincher for the left. It was then the right wing parties became more vocally anti EU.

Of course some on the left like Corbyn always mis trusted the EU. Many trade unions supported Brexit as well.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, prism10 said:

The left always distrusted the EEC/EU because it was an organisation with right wing aims. No state subsidies, privatisation, even reducing provision of social security in relation to their GDP. Then of course free trade and trade unions were not keen on free movement of labour.

Historically the left were more anti EU. It was the for EU president Jacque Delors who decided to court the left.

The emphasis on treaty binding workers rights, the Social Chapter was the clincher for the left. It was then the right wing parties became more vocally anti EU.

Of course some on the left like Corbyn always mis trusted the EU. Many trade unions supported Brexit as well.

The thing about the Social Chapter as with all EU imposed legislation is that the UK shouldn’t have to need the EU to safeguard workers and others rights. It should be quite capable of ensuring its own citizens are treated fairly.

And adapt according to individual national circumstances. Some provisions of the Social Chapter might be inappropriate. Some provisions may not go far enough to safeguard individual rights.

3 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

The thing about the Social Chapter as with all EU imposed legislation is that the UK shouldn’t have to need the EU to safeguard workers and others rights. It should be quite capable of ensuring its own citizens are treated fairly.

And adapt according to individual national circumstances. Some provisions of the Social Chapter might be inappropriate. Some provisions may not go far enough to safeguard individual rights.

There is nothing stopping a British government giving workers more right.

The Tories want to distill them with their Singapore on the Thames mantra.

• Like 1