Brexit Penny Dropping?

ManxTaxPayer

On 7/26/2022 at 5:42 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

I couldn’t vote but I did consider carefully the arguments from each side and as you imagine I would have voted leave.

I would have done so though with a heavy heart though, thinking what this coalition of European countries could have achieved if they hadn’t strayed so far from the original remit. 

Have to say I'm very surprised that your no doubt diligent research obviously failed to discover that "Taking back control of our borders + immigration" and "Regain Lost Sovereignty" plus "£350 M per week to the EU" were all just a pile of poo.

I'm assuming here you didn't discover the central lies of the brexit campaign because you would have voted for Leave. Which we are all now finding was a massive mistake...

I don't agree that the EU has strayed from their original remit. They still have the right to move and reside and work freely within the EU. Something those queuing at Dover probably wish they still had. But hey, while they're waiting for hours to gain entry to the EU they can get out their blue passports and admire them...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

Why would it? Only a tiny percentage of the population will actually have a say in whether or not he becomes leader of the Conservative Party.

Some people seem to think so, including Lord Ranger. Asking, "why would it?" is a little naive...

https://www.businessinsider.com/uk-perceived-racist-if-sunak-not-prime-minister-donor-2022-7

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/27/uk-will-seen-racist-tories-reject-rishi-sunak-warns-donor/

Edited by quilp

3 hours ago, quilp said:

Tory party members will decide who will lead the Conservative party not the general public regardless of what a Tory donor says. 

11 minutes ago, quilp said:

Did you even read those links you supercilious twerp? 

I have and it doesn't change the fact that the UK is not choosing the leader of the party it is the Tory Party Members.

Now if he was arguing that the Tory Party Members would be perceived as racist I might agree with him.

I also note that this particular donor is backing Rishi Sunak so probably has a vested interest. 

I really don't see the need for name calling.  Frankly it makes you look childish.

57 minutes ago, quilp said:

Did you even read those links you supercilious twerp? 

That's a bit harsh.

Lot's of folks would baulk at being expected to read the nonsense printed by The Telegraph...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I have and it doesn't change the fact that the UK is not choosing the leader of the party it is the Tory Party Members.

Now if he was arguing that the Tory Party Members would be perceived as racist I might agree with him.

I also note that this particular donor is backing Rishi Sunak so probably has a vested interest. 

I really don't see the need for name calling.  Frankly it makes you look childish.

Racism would have played a part in the Brexit vote of that there is no doubt. But drilling down the numbers is impossible. After all, who is going to admit to being a racist?

There is no doubt that UK democracy is broken if 160k tory party members are choosing the Prime Minister. Don't forget that these are the people who put the clearly unsuitable Bozo Johnson into 10 Downing Street. Didn't that turn out well not. A truly appalling decision that showed beyond any question that this system of tory members choosing the PM is as deeply flawed as Johnson's narcissistic personality....

• Haha 1

Some facts about the 160k tory members and how they could choose someone like Bozo:

63% Male

39% over 65 yo

6% under 24 yo

52% live in London & the SE

80% are in the top three socio-economic tiers.

What they care about in order of importance. Of course, you need to be aware that these people think the BBC is a nest of communist vipers and everything in the Telegraph, the Daily Mail and the Express is absolutely true:

Winning the next General Election          56%

Immigration                                               48%

Cost of Living                                            40%

Brexit                                                          40%

Cutting Taxes                                             30%

Defence                                                      30%

Net Zero                                                        4%

So all Liz Truss had to say was "tax cuts" and "more Rwandas" etc and she will be PM.

There was a project on UK Party Membership. The results can be found here:

https://esrcpartymembersprojectorg.files.wordpress.com/2018/01/grassroots-pmp_final.pdf

The tory graphics make for sobering reading....