Brexit Penny Dropping?

ManxTaxPayer

Interesting that President Zelensky chose to visit the UK ahead of the EU in his quest to launch his latest campaign for the west to provide his military with warplanes.

If I may be permitted to quote the Telegraph in the way that our beloved friend PK relies on the Guardian to speak for him:-

From Zelensky “ Britain has been at the forefront of European efforts  to improve the Ukrainian military’s efforts to defend the nation (Ukraine)”

We can do this now our hands are untied from having to act in unison with our European neighbours, (who I am sure will play their part)

Furthermore Francis Delaney measured how the visit will be interpreted in Europe.

” I was struck listening to the speech that he made very few references to Brussels, to the EU , France or Germany. It was all about Britain and America. If I’ve been listening to that speech and I was Emmanuel Macron or Olaf Scholz I would’ve felt a little bit embarrassed. He did seem to emphasizing the standard bearers of liberty were America and Britain and everyone  else had effectively let the side down  in the early months of the war”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

If I may be permitted to quote the Telegraph in the way that our beloved friend PK relies on the Guardian to speak for him.

What I like about the Grauniad is the way it gives differing points of view so the reader can make their own minds up.

Now the Telegraph, didn't they recently front page lead with a picture of two fully dressed folks in an empty bath, one wearing a Prince Andrew mask and the other wearing a Victoria Giuffre mask...?

I believe the Telegraph was presenting this montage as irrefutable "proof" that no bonking could possibly have taken place in said bath...?

Well, after that who wouldn't take anything they printed seriously....

Especially as this sentence makes no sense at all:

"We can do this now our hands are untied from having to act in unison with our European neighbours, (who I am sure will play their part)"

Perhaps something got lost in translation. Or more likely in context.

Especially as the US has invested some $30bn in "security assistance" to the Ukraine and the UK some £4bn.

However generous it may be do not forget that smart munitions of the type supplied by the UK have a shelf life.

"Use 'em or lose 'em..."

8 hours ago, P.K. said:

What I like about the Grauniad is the way it gives differing points of view so the reader can make their own minds up.

Now the Telegraph, didn't they recently front page lead with a picture of two fully dressed folks in an empty bath, one wearing a Prince Andrew mask and the other wearing a Victoria Giuffre mask...?

I believe the Telegraph was presenting this montage as irrefutable "proof" that no bonking could possibly have taken place in said bath...?

Especially as this sentence makes no sense at all:

"We can do this now our hands are untied from having to act in unison with our European neighbours, (who I am sure will play their part)"

Perhaps something got lost in translation. Or more likely in context.

Especially as the US has invested some $30bn in "security assistance" to the Ukraine and the UK some £4bn.

However generous it may be do not forget that smart munitions of the type supplied by the UK have a shelf life.

"Use 'em or lose 'em..."

So quite the opposite of you then...:thumbsup:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, P.K. said:

Except it doesn’t.

Think of the Daily Mail with its extreme right wing views, turn it on its head and voila, you have the Guardian with its extreme left wing views.

Its perfectly OK to express an opinion for a particular newspaper but to  be so fervently evangelical about one, as you have been in many of your posts, is frankly a bit weird.

3 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Except it doesn’t.

Think of the Daily Mail with its extreme right wing views, turn it on its head and voila, you have the Guardian with its extreme left wing views.

Its perfectly OK to express an opinion for a particular newspaper but to  be so fervently evangelical about one, as you have been in many of your posts, is frankly a bit weird.

The Grauniad has " extreme left wing views" - now that's funny! And total nonsense.

It's very simple. The more right wing you are, the more left wing you will think the BBC is, the Grauniad is and so forth. 

So basically you have just stated that you are somewhere to the right of Genghis Khan - nice.

Here's an idea. Why don't you go through Guardian editorials and post up the ones with "extreme left wing views".

Good luck with that one!

11 hours ago, P.K. said:

Investigative journalism at its finest!

23 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Furthermore Francis Delaney measured how the visit will be interpreted in Europe.

” I was struck listening to the speech that he made very few references to Brussels, to the EU , France or Germany. It was all about Britain and America. If I’ve been listening to that speech and I was Emmanuel Macron or Olaf Scholz I would’ve felt a little bit embarrassed. He did seem to emphasizing the standard bearers of liberty were America and Britain and everyone  else had effectively let the side down  in the early months of the war”

Sorry, but isn't this a case of NATO members being wary of providing offensive capability to Ukraine and not really anything to do with the EU?  

I know EU states are NATO members but the two things are different (although Russia despises both).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

secret cross-party summit held to confront failings of Brexit

Very significant that Labour and Conservatives politicians from both sides of the Brexit debate are working together with business leaders (very few were ever pro Brexit) - and that Mandelson Chaired the event.

I'm sure that the charismatic leader of the ERG, Paul Francois, will be spitting blood and feathers over this. Good.

About time a pragmatic approach was taken to the disaster that is their precious and totally unnecessary brexit...

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

I'm sure that the charismatic leader of the ERG, Paul Francois, will be spitting blood and feathers over this. Good.

About time a pragmatic approach was taken to the disaster that is their precious and totally unnecessary brexit...

Why is it unnecessary given the majority voted for it?

20 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

The positive thing about this is that leading politicians who were pro Brexit are working alongside leading politicians who opposed Brexit and business leaders to try to work out ways of fixing this disaster.

I would question whether these were indeed leading Politicians who were pro Brexit.  The ERG are conspicuous by their absence.

The Conservative party really needs them on board to make any progress otherwise they will just start complaining it is a "remainer" Brexit and an opportunity missed.

The referendum has shattered British politics and whilst this is a step in the right direction the extremists are not going to take kindly to it.

• Like 1