Brexit Penny Dropping?

ManxTaxPayer

Brexit is a failure. Even Nigel Farage admits it. Now, the spivs will tell you it's not proper brexit, as if the EU is somehow to blame, or that brexit is only shit because Johnny Foreigner is being vindictive and forgotten that the British are special — the one thing they won't tell you is that, after behaving awfully for years, they now owe Britain a huge and sincere apology. 

Edited by Freggyragh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/9/2023 at 8:56 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

Rather than just checking it was me on the passport the customs officer checked it was me and stamped my  passport which took a whole half second longer than it did pre Brexit.

Between 15 and 30 seconds per person extra is my experience.

Great at Berlin when I was first in the line off a 90-seat aircraft. Bosh, done.

Not so great at Ibiza when I was pretty much last off the last of four arrivals of 180-seat aircraft from the UK.

Of course, according to Farage the failure of his totally stupid and completely unnecessary brexit was down to the tories "implementation" of it. That's why the UK failed to capitalise on all the myriad advantages of brexit that were so many he failed to mention a single one.

In Reality Land the problems caused by the referendum continue to surface.

Car makers Stellantis are trying to take our useless government to task over the brexit "deal" that threatens UK car manufacture. Their case notes:

There aren’t sufficient battery production supply chains in the UK or Europe. This this is unlikely to change by 2025 or 2030, despite the fact that this is key to meeting the brexit origin rules that require 45% of the value of an electric vehicle to be sourced locally under the post-Brexit Trade and Cooperation Agreement.

Importing parts to the UK will lead to higher costs and potential tariffs under post-Brexit rules. If carmakers source batteries from mainland Europe and China, as currently planned, they will face higher logistics costs since they’ll have to transport the batteries from mainland Europe to the UK, plus additional potential tariff costs if they fail to meet origin rules.

The potential consequences? Stellantis says costs will be passed on to the consumer, and unsustainable operations will eventually close, resulting in job losses.

Stellantis says in the document:

If the cost of EV manufacturing in the UK becomes uncompetitive and unsustainable then operations will close.

Manufacturers will not continue to invest in the UK. They will relocate manufacturing operations outside of the UK, as seen with previously established UK manufacturers such as Ford and Mini.

The closing of UK manufacturing will see significant job losses, the loss of a skilled workforce and a negative impact to the UK economy.

Brexit strikes again...!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

Between 15 and 30 seconds per person extra is my experience.

Great at Berlin when I was first in the line off a 90-seat aircraft. Bosh, done.

Not so great at Ibiza when I was pretty much last off the last of four arrivals of 180-seat aircraft from the UK.

Why blame Brexit?

Blame the Spanish authorities for not having enough passport control booths to properly cope with the amount of their arriving visitors. They know how many are expected.

22 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Why blame Brexit?

Blame the Spanish authorities for not having enough passport control booths to properly cope with the amount of their arriving visitors. They know how many are expected.

Everywhere has insufficient booths/staff for a peak bulge of arrivals. That’s the truth about 15 years of austerity and the vagaries of arrivals bunching accidentally.

It’s still extra time/cost. It’s extra time/cost that was 100% avoidable.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Everywhere has insufficient booths/staff for a peak bulge of arrivals. That’s the truth about 15 years of austerity and the vagaries of arrivals bunching accidentally.

It’s still extra time/cost. It’s extra time/cost that was 100% avoidable.

What remainers somehow can’t comprehend is that we have left the EU and thus we are the same as Australians, Americans etc entering  into Europe)and similarly EU citizens coming to the UK). Things have changed. That’s not unavoidable.

Tell you what, let’s just do away with customs booths/ officers throughout the world. Save any extra time or costs.

Problem solved.

Edited by The Voice of Reason

44 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

What remainers somehow can’t comprehend is that we have left the EU and thus we are the same as Australians, Americans etc entering  into Europe)and similarly EU citizens coming to the UK). Things have changed. That’s not unavoidable.

Tell you what, let’s just do away with customs booths/ officers throughout the world. Save any extra time or costs.

Problem solved.

What you don’t understand is that it was avoidable and totally unnecessary. But it does show that the Sovereignty argument was totally wrong. The UK always had sovereignty and leaving the EU and being free to commit a hugely damaging act of economic self harm proves that.

Ive stated several times I accept we are out, won’t rejoin either the EU, customs union or single market in my life time.

But just like Nazi genocide, the perpetrators, the populists,  and everyone involved in the result without a plan, should never be allowed to be forgotten, and held to account.

in fact, I’m really surprised you haven’t foamed at the mouth and replied to my previous long post in your usual irrational way.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

What you don’t understand is that it was avoidable and totally unnecessary. But it does show that the Sovereignty argument was totally wrong. The UK always had sovereignty and leaving the EU and being free to commit a hugely damaging act of economic self harm proves that.

Ive stated several times I accept we are out, won’t rejoin either the EU, customs union or single market in my life time.

But just like Nazi genocide, the perpetrators, the populists,  and everyone involved in the result without a plan, should never be allowed to be forgotten, and held to account.

in fact, I’m really surprised you haven’t foamed at the mouth and replied to my previous long post in your usual irrational way.

You are comparing the Brexit vote to the Nazi genocide?.

Shame on you

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You are comparing the Brexit vote to the Nazi genocide?.

Shame on you

It’s exactly the same. A minority of extremists and populists persuade otherwise sane and sensible people to do stupid, dangerous and evil things. 

The methodology is identical, brainwashing with lie after lie, scapegoating, promising things they can’t deliver without a coup.

And the likes of Braverman, Patel, Rees Mogg, Francois, etc are living proof.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Just fuck off.

You are disgusting 

And there you show your true colours. You’re as nasty and perverted as your apparent hero’s.

It’s exactly the same argument as Lineker. It’s the methods, the hate, the scapegoating - as diversionary tactics.

You know, immigration, which the EU never controlled. Blame refugees who come in by irregular means because we don’t have proper pathways. Get all worked up about a few tens of thousands of them, but in the meantime let in another 500,000-750,000 through regular means.

Theres no difference between demonising immigrants and demonising Jews, LGBT, Roma, Irish, mentally ill, etc etc.

• Like 3

Just now, The Voice of Reason said:

“ It’s exactly the same” 

Pray tell where in  the UK are these same gas chambers situated?

You missed out the word “argument”. Typical of people of your viewpoint. Oh, the irony of you describing yourself as the Voice of Reason.

I’ve not mentioned gas chambers, you have. I’ve pointed out the similarity in methodology and demagoguery that ended up there.

And now your heroes want out of the ECHR and ECtHR. Says everything anyone needs to know.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

You missed out the word “argument”. Typical of people of your viewpoint. Oh, the irony of you describing yourself as the Voice of Reason.

I’ve not mentioned gas chambers, you have. I’ve pointed out the similarity in methodology and demagoguery that ended up there.

And now your heroes want out of the ECHR and ECtHR. Says everything anyone needs to know.

You said it was “just like Nazi genocide” which most people would associate with gas chambers, Auschwitz, Belsen etc