Brexit Penny Dropping?

ManxTaxPayer

4 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

When you look at the current cabinet it really is remarkable just how anti-immigration they are.

Well you say that, and even they say that, but are they really? I do wonder. 1.2 million immigrants arrived in the UK in 2022. That's a staggering number by any assessment. So Brexit Britain can't be so terrible, it occurs to me. But also, how could this happen under such a rabidly anti-immigration government that you define?

I am reminded of the discussion we had about the concept of "levelling up" a little while ago, when you opined that it wasn't true conviction or intent and just so much froth and soundbite to grab votes in the north and assuage mutinous sentiments in the population. Could this whole anti-immigration hyperbole be something similar, and in reality they are quite content to see the total numbers spiralling upwards while focusing public attention on "stopping the boats"?

Edited by woolley

4 minutes ago, code99 said:

I was using "you" in the 4th person rather than the 2nd. I appreciate you think Brexit is wonderful. Welcome to the club!

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, woolley said:

Well you say that, and even they say that, but are they really? I do wonder. 1.2 million immigrants arrived in the UK in 2022. That's a staggering number by any assessment. So Brexit Britain can't be so terrible, it occurs to me. But also, how could this happen under such a rabidly anti-immigration government that you define?

I am reminded of the discussion we had about the concept of "levelling up" a little while ago, when you opined that it wasn't true conviction or intent and just so much froth and soundbite to grab votes in the north and assuage mutinous sentiments in the population. Could this whole anti-immigration hyperbole be something similar, and reality they are quite content to see the total numbers spiralling upwards while focusing public attention on "stopping the boats"?

I am still minded to believe that a lot of it is soundbites to win votes.  It is of course amusing that those same voters who buy into this rhetoric blindly ignore the background of those in the cabinet currently.

20 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I am still minded to believe that a lot of it is soundbites to win votes.  It is of course amusing that those same voters who buy into this rhetoric blindly ignore the background of those in the cabinet currently.

I'm not sure that anyone is fooled by it anymore though.

2 hours ago, woolley said:

And yet trade with Europe is up, both export and import. The trajectory is continuing and only really paused because of covid. I suggest you get your nose out of the Guardian. In the real world, as I mentioned, there has been disruption in some sectors, but in the main people have not stopped trading because of Brexit. So that's good.

And the good old ONS. I seem to remember them saying that the whole thing would be a catastrophe with the end of the world as we know it immediately after a vote to leave, and yet here we are seven years later with trade still growing having been hit only by the pandemic and subsequent supply shortages. I bet they all read the Guardian too. You don't work there do you?

So post up the £numbers.

18 minutes ago, woolley said:

I'm not sure that anyone is fooled by it anymore though.

The small minded are focused on the small boats not those who actually get through the Visa process.

If they realised what was going on then they might be take more of an interest. 

I would be interested to see the breakdown of those coming into the UK on visas. 

1 hour ago, woolley said:

As you have been told time and time and time again.

According to the ONS the EU folks in the UK contributed more £ to UK PLC than any other group including the indigenous population.

Now those hard-working folks have left they are being replaced in the main by non-EU migrants who want to settle here permanently, bring over the extended family etc.

Good luck to them...

35 minutes ago, P.K. said:

As you have been told time and time and time again.

According to the ONS the EU folks in the UK contributed more £ to UK PLC than any other group including the indigenous population.

Now those hard-working folks have left they are being replaced in the main by non-EU migrants who want to settle here permanently, bring over the extended family etc.

Good luck to them...

You speak as though all EU citizens have left the UK. Almost 10% of the UK population are EU citizens according to your beloved Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jan/28/more-than-140000-eu-citizens-in-uk-may-have-wrongly-received-benefits

43 minutes ago, woolley said:

You speak as though all EU citizens have left the UK. Almost 10% of the UK population are EU citizens according to your beloved Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jan/28/more-than-140000-eu-citizens-in-uk-may-have-wrongly-received-benefits

Hilarious!

Have to say I missed the original story which was a pity because I bet the Mail, Express etc were spitting blood and feathers...

45 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

And these non EU migrants could never be as hard working as EU citizens could they?

And you call Brexit voters racist!

What part of this is it that you don't understand?

2 hours ago, P.K. said:

There's an air of desperation creeping into the posts by the brexiteers probably because as time goes by the sheer folly of the whole farrago becomes more and more apparent...