Brexit Penny Dropping?

ManxTaxPayer

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I’ve had a look at the link. It seems unnecessarily complicated.

Only in your small mind.

Yes in the beginning there was benefits to joining the EEC. 

You don’t want to argue about what the EU became, but what it became led to the referendum in the first place and the Leave vote winning.

I just don't see the point in going over the same ground again, and again, and again....

Any close result should not be contentious. As long as the contest/ referendum was conducted fairly the result should be accepted. What is there to be contentious about?

Don’t understand your argument about 50% +1 not meeting the 50.1% criteria. Both are a majority

You just don't understand at all...  what decimal point are you willing to go to in order to define a majority? 

2 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

You just don't understand at all...  what decimal point are you willing to go to in order to define a majority? 

You don’t have to worry about decimal points.

One person more voting for one position over the number of those voting for the alternative position constitutes a majority. 
Quite simple.

Perhaps now you could give it a rest.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You don’t have to worry about decimal points.

One person more voting for one position over the number of those voting for the alternative position constitutes a majority. 
Quite simple.

Perhaps now you could give it a rest.

As you prove on a daily basis, most people who vote are old and thick, stupid british nationalism won out but that was based on a belief in an empire that Britain lost a long time ago. The uk remained a power throughout the 90s because of the eu membership / leadership, without that they are weak and pathetic as proven by the current pm, previous pm and general level of political discussion.

8 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I’m intrigued why you would choose to insult those who made an informed decision ( yes as informed as those who voted Remain) to vote Leave 

Sore losers who can’t accept a democratic result.

Those who voted Remain had had decades of prosperity on which to base their decision.

Those who voted Leave didn't have the faintest idea what they were voting for. Unfortunately they just believed a load of lies like these:

"The free trade agreement that we will have to do with the European Union should be one of the easiest in human history" (Idiot Liam Fox who came back from Japan amazed that they were going to drive a hard bargain with the desperate UK)

"Take back control of our borders" (Must have really pissed off the Border Force who were doing a fine job...)

"There is no plan for a deal because we are going to get a great deal" (Totally amoral narcissistic serial philanderer and inveterate liar Boris Johnson whose "deal" cost us a minimum of 4% of GDP)

"A free trade deal would be relatively straightforward between the United Kingdom and America" (The lying idiot Douglas Carswell)

And so forth. Everyone has their favourite of course...

Add to that the continuous stream of lies about the EU from the UK right wing press in thrall to the agenda of the owner, which is to say pretty much all of it and then add a hefty dose of xenophobia "Millions of Turks heading for Britain" and you have folks voting to step into the unknown world of economic self-harm...

As then did those who voted Leave.

The point that @P.K. is making is that the "decades of prosperity" occurred whilst the UK was a member of the EU.  It is unknown whether being outside of the EU during that timeframe would have been better or worse for the UK.

Obviously during the "decades of prosperity" there have been bad periods, particularly the Credit Crunch and austerity which followed.  Again it is impossible to say whether a UK outside of the EU would have fared better or worse at that time.  We know what did happen and can only speculate on what might have been otherwise.

18 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

The point that @P.K. is making is that the "decades of prosperity" occurred whilst the UK was a member of the EU.  It is unknown whether being outside of the EU during that timeframe would have been better or worse for the UK.

Obviously during the "decades of prosperity" there have been bad periods, particularly the Credit Crunch and austerity which followed.  Again it is impossible to say whether a UK outside of the EU would have fared better or worse at that time.  We know what did happen and can only speculate on what might have been otherwise.

Exactly.

And has been stated before many times the Brexit debate was about more than economic considerations.

9 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

And has been stated before many times the Brexit debate was about more than economic considerations.

It certainly was! It was about petty racism and xenophobia, it was about “sticking it to the man”, it was about people with low educational achievement voting against “the elite”, it was about baby boomers harking back to a golden age of Empire that never existed…

As for the vote, if it was intended to be binding it should have been a super-majority. But luckily the referendum wasn’t binding, it was merely advisory.

No doubt the Brexitist weirdos will be just as happy to accept a simple majority when, in a few years, Britain votes to rejoin the EU…

52 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

It certainly was! It was about petty racism and xenophobia, it was about “sticking it to the man”, it was about people with low educational achievement voting against “the elite”, it was about baby boomers harking back to a golden age of Empire that never existed…

As for the vote, if it was intended to be binding it should have been a super-majority. But luckily the referendum wasn’t binding, it was merely advisory.

No doubt the Brexitist weirdos will be just as happy to accept a simple majority when, in a few years, Britain votes to rejoin the EU…

“ It was about petty racism and xenophobia”

” it was about people with low educational achievement voting against the “elite””

May I ask how you come to those conclusions? Had I had a vote I would have voted Leave and do not consider myself to be racist ( however petty) or xenophobic. Nor would I imagine that anyone who knows me would describe me in that way.
For what it’s worth I am educated to degree level although I’m at a loss to understand why education levels have anything to do with it.

I fear you have been indoctrinated into these views

As far as I’m aware the 1975 referendum confirming Britains continuing membership of the then EC wasnt subject to any supermajority requirement for either side.So why should the 2016 referendum be subject to it either?

This Brexitist weirdo is happy to accept a simple majority in any referendum

“ It was about petty racism and xenophobia”

” it was about people with low educational achievement voting against the “elite””

May I ask how you come to those conclusions? Had I had a vote I would have voted Leave and do not consider myself to be racist ( however petty) or xenophobic. Nor would I imagine that anyone who knows me would describe me in that way.
For what it’s worth I am educated to degree level although I’m at a loss to understand why education levels have anything to do with it.

I fear you have been indoctrinated into these views

I'm calling BS on all of the above. Not exactly unusual...

As we all know, facts speak for themselves:

"While it is well established that educational attainment is highly correlated with Brexit voting patterns, the predictive capacity of education has attracted less attention. Using full-sample and split-sample exercises, Rob Calvert Jump and Jo Michell demonstrate that educational attainment alone can correctly classify over 90% of local authorities by voting outcome in the 2016 referendum to leave the EU, depending on the prediction model and classification method used. This illustrates the importance of education as a key factor in the geography of Brexit."

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/educational-attainment-brexit/