Shipwreck!

TheTeapot

17 minutes ago, Yibble said:

Lifeboat now appears to be heading from Douglas to Ramsey. Are there any tugs on site or heading Ramsey way?

Captain Carter left Douglas this morning with part of his fleet - both Wendy Ann and Girl Mary are on their way, if they have not already arrived.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Well at least we've got something to talk about apart from Covid and the incompetence of Govt! 

I blame the DOI for this. If only they were on track with deepening the sea there, or putting up bouncy fenders, but instead they’ve been tied up doing the prom for the last 15 years while the rest of the island’s roads become one massive pothole. And they can’t even fix the slides at the NSC. 

Is that better?

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I blame the DOI for this. If only they were on track with deepening the sea there, or putting up bouncy fenders, but instead they’ve been tied up doing the prom for the last 15 years while the rest of the island’s roads become one massive pothole. And they can’t even fix the slides at the NSC. 

Is that better?

You're learning...

Edited by Andy Onchan
God awful spelling! Go & stand in the corner!

2 hours ago, Yibble said:

IoM Newspapers have, rather wonderfully, captioned a similar photo "A man with a shovel attempts to recover the boat"

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=63438&headline=Cargo ship beached off Point of Ayre&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2021

That’s the same photo :) 

31 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

That’s the same photo :) 

Almost, but not quite. Compare the position of the chap's arms.

Looks (per Marinetraffic) that boatie is still stuck and the tide should now be dropping. If they don't get her off tonight, she may be around for at least a couple of weeks. Meanwhile somebody might be able to bag some cheap cement (collection only). 

[Edit] I see the lifeboat is heading back to Douglas*. I hope all stay safe whatever the outcome.

*Nope, just to Ramsey.

Edited by Yibble

Maybe they couldn't remember whether they were heading for Ramsey or Belfast this time and decided to split the difference.

Presumably there will have to be an accident investigation by the IOM Ship Registry who seem to be responsible for accidents that happen in Manx waters to foreign-registered ship as well as those that happen to those on their own Register.  Certainly there's a section for "Reports from Foreign Flagged Ships in Isle of Man Territorial Waters" in their Annual Summary.

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

Is that better?

Better.  

Probably could have re-floated it in one of the potholes. 

Word on the beach is the cable/rope snapped as Carter was trying to pull it off (yes I know how that sounds).

• Haha 2