Petrol and diesel RIP OFF

Ramseyboi

6 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Oh you think petrol and diesel are a rip off? I’ve switched to electric now and look how much it costs me to drive all across the island! How am I supposed to afford this? Green lies, all just green lies I tell ya! 

Looks great, I know the BMW is a great little car, we had one on test, but here's the rub. I shortly have to get off the boat at Heysham and drive overnight to Inverness, for me that kills the deal stone dead ! Coupled with the fact I can't afford two cars, one to pop to the shops and the other to use as a tool on long journeys. As soon as battery technology catches up with practicality I'll most certainly be in the market.

• Like 3

Ours has the REX but even with that I understand long range travel in places like the UK is an issue. Only partially because of battery range as that’s getting very good now, especially in pure BEVs. But it’s also the charging network. There still seem to be huge issues across with the various providers and charge point reliability in general. Mind you, we’re also way behind on it. There’s a Lidl in Liverpool that has a customer charge point in its car park that is faster than anything we have over here. There’s still a long way to go. But even so, EVs are the perfect car for over here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, asitis said:

Looks great, I know the BMW is a great little car, we had one on test, but here's the rub. I shortly have to get off the boat at Heysham and drive overnight to Inverness, for me that kills the deal stone dead ! Coupled with the fact I can't afford two cars, one to pop to the shops and the other to use as a tool on long journeys. As soon as battery technology catches up with practicality I'll most certainly be in the market.

Rent a car. Probably just as cheap as taking your car on the boat.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Oh you think petrol and diesel are a rip off? I’ve switched to electric now and look how much it costs me to drive all across the island! How am I supposed to afford this? Green lies, all just green lies I tell ya! 

BFF46AE7-2D60-4506-B751-F66CC0FAB8DD.png
I’ve calculated it costs me around 4 quid to go 90 miles. Four whole quid! 

if you were using electric purchased in the UK the costs would halve.

2 hours ago, Amadeus said:

There’s a Lidl in Liverpool that has a customer charge point in its car park that is faster than anything we have over here. There’s still a long way to go. But even so, EVs are the perfect car for over here. 

The costs of fast charging surpasses fuel costs on longer journeys, if you can actually rely on getting them to work, and find one when you need them. EV's are fine over here, for those who have a driveway.

2 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

......................and can afford an EV!!

You can get a Leaf or Zoe for sub 10k now. Combined with the savings on fuel, maintenance, tax, and the better home leccy tariff it's actually often cheaper than getting an ICE car now. Of course depends on your budget. 

2 hours ago, Amadeus said:

You can get a Leaf or Zoe for sub 10k now. Combined with the savings on fuel, maintenance, tax, and the better home leccy tariff it's actually often cheaper than getting an ICE car now. Of course depends on your budget. 

what are the battery lease/rental costs for a leaf ?  and how far would that value in fuel take you along with the savings of buying a diesel/petrol version ?   the scales haven't swung yet as far as i'm concerned.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, WTF said:

what are the battery lease/rental costs for a leaf ?  and how far would that value in fuel take you along with the savings of buying a diesel/petrol version ?   the scales haven't swung yet as far as i'm concerned.

Only older Nissan and Renaults had battery leases as far as I know. The ones I looked at certainly didn't. It's yours and 80+ miles range are less than five quid in costs. 

48 minutes ago, WTF said:

When they give you a range of about 400 miles with 5 minutes of charging then they will be a valid replacement. 

Until then the downsides outweigh the advantages. 

Hydrogen should be the alternative, not the eviromentally suspect battery power. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Only older Nissan and Renaults had battery leases as far as I know. The ones I looked at certainly didn't. It's yours and 80+ miles range are less than five quid in costs. 

Our Leaf is around five years old. Bought it outright second hand about three years ago. No mention of battery leases. For some reason if we took the interest free option we received a free home charger so we financed the minimum required to get the charger. Had a dual rate meter fitted and it’s the cheapest motoring we’ve ever had. 

ETA just checked and we bought it four years ago. 

Edited by The Old Git
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

batteries don't last forever and a semi discharged topped up every opportunity battery will have a shorter lifecycle than  optimum, the cost of a replacement battery will be a massive expense that won't be included in any manufacturers advertised costings.  if you can buy new the battery may not be an issue, the depreciation will be,  if you buy used and think you have a bargain with little depreciation expected the battery will probably spoil that perceived saving.

• Like 2