Petrol and diesel RIP OFF

Ramseyboi

2 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

It’s for higher performance engines, it burns slower under compression. Some engines won’t run on regular fuel without pre-detonation. Some cars are able to run on both but run slightly better/with more power on the better fuel. 

I’ve got one of them, but the car apparently ‘knows’ the octane rating of whatever I put in and works fine with anything. But on super, am I meant to be able to do 0-60 a bit quicker, or have a higher top speed, or get more mpg, or have the engine last longer? Certainly for the first two options I don’t think it’s really necessary.

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

It's had 10% of the stuff in it for some time in the UK. The level of ethanol is rising to 20% in the UK for normal unleaded, while the super will remain at 10% for older car owners. Apparently we don't have any added to fuel sold on the IoM.    

I find that very hard to believe. Although I don't know for certain.

15 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

They refine a special blend just for the isle of man?

Well I never. 

The additives are added to the batches. There is somewhere else which has the same fuel as us but I can't remember if it's one of the Channel Islands? Apparently our central heating oil is Jet1 aircraft fuel as it's more economical to buy it this way than split the order.

11 minutes ago, finlo said:

Anyone remember formula Shell (I want to break free and all that) well that was added by the tanker driver!

10 minutes ago, Max Power said:

The additives are added to the batches. There is somewhere else which has the same fuel as us but I can't remember if it's one of the Channel Islands? Apparently our central heating oil is Jet1 aircraft fuel as it's more economical to buy it this way than split the order.

I'm not disputing it. Just staggered. Why would they bother!

Must be a nightmare if you ask for a specification as must fuel mixes are very tightly controlled as usually quality checked. 

28 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I'm not disputing it. Just staggered. Why would they bother!

Must be a nightmare if you ask for a specification as must fuel mixes are very tightly controlled as usually quality checked. 

Yes, I think it's one way that having our own government works in our favour. That ethanol is nasty stuff.

The rotten eggs smell from catalytic convertors was caused by sulphur which was added only to UK fuel. That caused all those BMW engine failures, very expensive and only in the UK. 

Edited by Max Power

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

They refine a special blend just for the isle of man?

Well I never. 

As I said before we get export grade fuel, so it’s actually the reverse, the UK gets a special blend whilst we get ours before all that stuff is added, I expect that’s probably why it’s cheaper.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

As I said before we get export grade fuel, so it’s actually the reverse, the UK gets a special blend whilst we get ours before all that stuff is added, I expect that’s probably why it’s cheaper.

I must admit I'm very sceptical about all this. Something to research next week. An interesting topic. 

4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Anything pre-2012 I believe.

All of my vehicles are well older than that. Oh well, typical I suppose, those that can least afford it are hit the most, as usual. ( 2007 Nissan Note, £1500, 2003 working 4wd £900, converted camper van 1997 £2000.)

So one of them will have to go at least, maybe two. Thinking about it the van is diesel so won't be affected and our joint annual mileage is only about 6000 miles.

Sorry, just musing out loud.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

All of my vehicles are well older than that. Oh well, typical I suppose, those that can least afford it are hit the most, as usual. ( 2007 Nissan Note, £1500, 2003 working 4wd £900, converted camper van 1997 £2000.)

So one of them will have to go at least, maybe two. Thinking about it the van is diesel so won't be affected and our joint annual mileage is only about 6000 miles.

Sorry, just musing out loud.

Depends how many miles you do per year. If it's not many then E5 is only a teeny bit more expensive. I have an old car but only do about 1000 miles per year. It's 5 tenths of bugger all difference.