Petrol and diesel RIP OFF

Ramseyboi

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

I'm not disputing it. Just staggered. Why would they bother!

Must be a nightmare if you ask for a specification as must fuel mixes are very tightly controlled as usually quality checked. 

Stops the fuel separating with age. Not uncommon in remote / rural / backwards places.

• Haha 1

Ethanol as a fuel additive isn’t new. Between 1932 and 1970 ( approx) Cleveland Discol was sold in England. A joint venture between one of the fuel refiners and Distillers.

Sold as cheaper ( no fuel duty on the alcohol component ) and better for high compression engines.

Im pretty sure the alcohol component was 25% - so E25.

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

Yes, I think it's one way that having our own government works in our favour. That ethanol is nasty stuff.

The rotten eggs smell from catalytic convertors was caused by sulphur which was added only to UK fuel. That caused all those BMW engine failures, very expensive and only in the UK. 

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

Ethanol as a fuel additive isn’t new. Between 1932 and 1970 ( approx) Cleveland Discol was sold in England. A joint venture between one of the fuel refiners and Distillers.

Sold as cheaper ( no fuel duty on the alcohol component ) and better for high compression engines.

Im pretty sure the alcohol component was 25% - so E25.

Thats right. It's only recently become nasty recently it seems😅. Even though it's a very clean burning fuel. That's why they are putting it in again isn't it?

4 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Thats right. It's only recently become nasty recently it seems😅. Even though it's a very clean burning fuel. That's why they are putting it in again isn't it?

I think that's Methanol rather than Ethanol? It's corrosive properties are not much not much better though. 

Edited by Max Power

15 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Methanol is cleaner than ethanol yes. Maybe you didn't do chemistry at school. If you did you were not paying attention. 🤣

That doesn't explain anything, is it meant to make me look stupid or something?

Edited by Max Power

5 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Errrr. No not at all. It was an opportunity for you to explain what you meant. 

Oh, okay? I was responding to earlier comments.

I was pointing out that it was Methanol that was used to enhance engine performance and not Ethanol. Also that they both have corrosive properties which can damage fuel systems. 

Oh you think petrol and diesel are a rip off? I’ve switched to electric now and look how much it costs me to drive all across the island! How am I supposed to afford this? Green lies, all just green lies I tell ya! 

BFF46AE7-2D60-4506-B751-F66CC0FAB8DD.png
I’ve calculated it costs me around 4 quid to go 90 miles. Four whole quid! 

Short memories may also forgotten the DOI's recent vehicle "Road Tax" proposals which were withdrawn after the furore on announcement; these will still be on the back-burner and a new administration with no election in the offing is just the time to push "hard decisions" through?