Petrol and diesel RIP OFF

Ramseyboi

Change has to start gathering some pace. We are on the move again, into a town. One of the motivators is better public transport so we can ditch a car, I can walk to the station and we can do most of our shopping on foot. The car will be for those journeys that aren't viable by other means.

Synthetic fuels need to rapidly evolve but more than anything, driving needs to become more expensive than the public transport options and those need to be really efficient and have sufficient capacity. 

One big problem here is they are still expanding rural villages so folk have no option but to use the car for everything.

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

No, public transport options need to become much cheaper than taking the car.

Well certainly for me it’s a lot cheaper to take the bus than drive my car.

But I still take my car unless I am planning to have a drink. Hope that doesn’t make me a bad person.

I would add that a bus is a comfortable option with comfortable seats, wi fi etc. Don’t know what much more you could ask for.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

But I still take my car unless I am planning to have a drink. Hope that doesn’t make me a bad person.

I would add that a bus is a comfortable option with comfortable seats, wi fi etc. Don’t know what much more you could ask for.

I get the bus. I like the bus. It gets pricey after a while, especially if its not just you. Travelling in England by train can be crazy expensive. Anyway, my point which you probably missed was a mindset one.

9 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

....driving needs to become more expensive than the public transport options

Mr Baker and the DOI are working hard at it and have been for some time.

13 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

its all good,  but long gone are the days of everybody working  9 - 5 and public transport doesn't efficiently allow for all the different start and ends to the modern work day  , government flexitime was a big mistake as now the buildings have to be heated and illuminated for more hours of the day so it costs more to run them.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

driving needs to become more expensive than the public transport options and those need to be really efficient and have sufficient capacity. 

Unfortunately the only way to stop people using their car is by pricing them out and making them question if it’s worthwhile keeping a car. Whether that’s increasing the road tax/VED, introducing MOTs or increasing fuel duty, hitting people’s pockets is the only way to force change.

3 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Unfortunately the only way to stop people using their car is by pricing them out and making them question if it’s worthwhile keeping a car. Whether that’s increasing the road tax/VED, introducing MOTs or increasing fuel duty, hitting people’s pockets is the only way to force change.

With the knock-on damage to the economy caused by pricing those to whom their transport is work-essential, out of their means.

What of those whose work is outside of current (at present) public transport hours and reach, the shift workers and those in remote areas. If we render these people immobile in that respect, do their jobs just disappear or not need doing anymore? Do we throw them onto the benefit seekers pile?

There are alternative ways of reducing car use. Encourage vehicle sharing by restricting entry into towns by registration number to every other day for instance. Spread Govt (and other) jobs around the Island a little more evenly rather than the Douglas-centric approach of the last 40+ years.

1 hour ago, Annoymouse said:

All you're doing there is further fucking the poor.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

All you're doing there is further fucking the poor.

And as posted previously, if the DOI bring their new "road tax" proposals back in front of the new Tynwald (having previously withdrawn them over the outcry) and get them passed, it won't just be the poor, it'll be business owners and tradesmen with vans, the whole shebang.

Notwithstanding the also deferred application for further funding for the Liverpool Terminal; consider that Treasury's current policy is to tell Depts that their overspends have to be found from within existing budgets.

Now consider some of the DOI's overspends and ask - "Is this about the environment or is this about revenue?"

• Thanks 3