Cost of government

Banker

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

NI for social care doesn’t really make sense.

Financially etc it may not but politically it may as it does not have tax in the name so they they will try and argue that an increase in NI is not a tax rise and some will accept this. To me they should have simply combined with the general tax rate many years ago and have some form of additional form of employers tax to replace employers NI but politically no party would no that. 

35 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

It won't be long before there will be no state retirement age or exemption from NI on pension income. After all, how else will you fund healthcare and social care with an ageing population? 

image.png.5745dd85658b2dc51b65423ccfd2344d.png

21 minutes ago, display name said:

A butterfly?  NO!,a bat?

Looks like pensioners will have to pay NI or equivalent on earnings 

04d3cc86-574e-49b6-ac33-4ffbe07a9ce2.jpg

Laura Kuenssberg

Political editor

A late night decision, but it sounds like this is part of the deal:

Pensioners in work will pay a health and social care levy - which makes it different to normal National Insurance.

We'll have to wait for more precise detail later.

One of the biggest unknowns is what support social care gets up front.

I'm told support will be phased in but it is not clear yet what happens while the NHS is the main beneficiary of the NI hike for first three years.

18 minutes ago, Banker said:

Looks like pensioners will have to pay NI or equivalent on earnings 

04d3cc86-574e-49b6-ac33-4ffbe07a9ce2.jpg

Laura Kuenssberg

Political editor

A late night decision, but it sounds like this is part of the deal:

Pensioners in work will pay a health and social care levy - which makes it different to normal National Insurance.

We'll have to wait for more precise detail later.

One of the biggest unknowns is what support social care gets up front.

I'm told support will be phased in but it is not clear yet what happens while the NHS is the main beneficiary of the NI hike for first three years.

A levy? A tax by any other name.

I wonder if it is on their direct earnings from employment or will it cover all income including private pensions? I wonder how much will be wasted on trying to administer the new levy?

Just be done with it and roll NI into income tax so lower rate starts at 22% and higher rate 50%. Then everyone can see how much service they get for their contribution.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Banker said:

Guernsey taking steps to address similar position & also imposed pay freeze this year, I guess the CI haters won’t like idea as it’s from Guernsey 

https://www.channel103.com/news/guernsey/pandr-move-forward-with-public-service-restructure/

Bring it on here as soon as possible.  
Something which should be a top priority for the new members after election  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, forestboy said:

Bring it on here as soon as possible.  
Something which should be a top priority for the new members after election  

Our politicians have only just got around to identifying the problem that the piss has been taken for 5+ years, two months ago. COMIN are now going to look at the issue; that's the next unformed-as-yet COMIN.

By the time they've moved at the usual glacial pace (that's pre-global warming glacial too), including dealing with representations and obstructions from the PS and CS themselves, the most they will be able to do is pass the baton on to the following administration. Lots of interested parties to deal with here, do not expect anything to happen quickly.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 1

So we have 2,000 CS out of 7.400 PS (27%)

And PS is about 20% of working population of 37,000.

So 1 in 5 jobs in the IOM is in PS and 1 in 19 is CS. 

Bearing in mind that these figures are made up from equivalent hours which means that there are more people paid from the government coffers than these numbers imply. 

There is a puff piece in the local press by someone describing their work as dog groomer or international sheep shearer and the like. How about we get some of our public employees to describe their day to day work?

20 hours ago, forestboy said:

They’ll go after the pensioners by breaking the triple lock. 
I’d much rather see a cut in foreign aid or maybe VAT increase. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58476547

Bingo! Yahtze! Ding ding ding! We have a winner. 😁

So the triple lock is inconvenient because wages have gone up so you drop it for a year. The slippery slope begins as pensions will start to fall behind more and more with every subsequent year. 

One possible reason I see for price inflation will be businesses rebuilding their reserves they depleted over the last 2 years just to survive. Another is going to be ongoing shortages (like those in the silcion chips) which are going to take a long time to get back to normal. 

Also a lot of the UK agribusiness was based on cheap seasonal foreign labour which has dried up after Brexit & C19 restrictions. Can't see many wanting UK workers wanting to get their hands dirty for minimum wage part-time jobs. If the farmers have to bite the bullet and pay more that'll be passed on.

• Like 1