Cost of government

Banker

Much comment being broadcast on these new proposals to make the little people pay for the inconvenience of their pandemic.

Where is the enthusiasm to raise taxes on the global corporations who have taken billions during the pandemic? The Amazons and Googles etc who have squirrelled away huge amounts in tax havens and low tax structures where it may also be attracting interest, thus sucking further money out of the economies?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

No,I answered the question that WTF posed. !!!!

As an aside there are also many in the private sector who retire in their 50’s !!!

CMC answered the question i asked , but the question arose from bankers comment 'Women should never have got it earlier in first place as they love longer '    pay in for 45 years and claim for 25 on a good day .  the police pay in over 10% for their pension so they should expect to get a decent return that lasts .  the CS situation is that they only have to work 30 something ? years to be eligible for a  CS pension so in theory can retire in their 50's and assuming a similar expiry date to the women who should have retired at 60 ( 85 ish )   could be claiming that LOW contributions to the pension pot pension for the same amount of time that they worked.  so the pay in take out ratio is better or worse depending on your view point of women retiring at 60.   and in the same breath  the normal people without CS pensions are expected to work ( job from school ) for 50 years to be able to claim for 20 ish years , with NO lump sum, definitely the worst boat to be in. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, quilp said:

Mate of mine, just retired from DoI, 23 years service as a 'semi-skilled operative' top grade. Received a £50k lump sum, £500 a month and a survivors pension for his daughter of £4kp.a. Figures rounded-up.

I was surprised. It's not a lot. 

but they will get a state pension too when they hit 60 whatever it is when they get there, probably 70 something by then,   i will also be surprised if they paid in 50K  in NI during that 23 years.

12 hours ago, quilp said:

Mate of mine, just retired from DoI, 23 years service as a 'semi-skilled operative' top grade. Received a £50k lump sum, £500 a month and a survivors pension for his daughter of £4kp.a. Figures rounded-up.

I was surprised. It's not a lot. 

Yes, PS manual worker, many inflated myths about what these guys get when they retire. Though that then gets the State Pension added to it as well.

Middle and senior management is where the real space figures are though.

67 is the new full-term age now, it went up from 65 about 5/6 years ago, all in the name of restructuring for "savings".

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CallMeCurious said:

Nice how they bragged about making £260m shares which is only on paper until they actually sell the shares

Brushed over the £1bn extra on pension deficit in a year taking it to £4.8bn.

Likewise the 'no plans' to increase NI over here.... unless the new government decides to. So a definite maybe then .

The fabled pension deficit is 'only on paper' too.  It is a fancy set of sums done by actuaries, and is neither a real debt nor deficit.

On the issue of care for older people, how would you fund it?

• Like 1