What Is Manx Culture ?

ButterflyMaiden

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hell yussir you know what manx culture is its Spuds & Herring boy and don't forget it.

Its like when an english fella asked an old manxie what do you do on the isle of man in the summer and the old boy says fishing and sh@ggin, the english fella then asked him what do you do in the winter and the old boy says not much fishing. :P

Now thats true manx culture

hehe butterfly, it's a really good question you and vinnie both made and the tool's about as right as anything I can see; it's loads of things that aren't easy to define, like going 'across' , like having a funny week's holiday at school due to the 'races', it's about manx town rivalries, it's about the gossip, everyone knowing each other's business, and it's about combining conflicting aspects like being slack but still being switched on, it's about being insular but also travelling lots, it's about the pubs, hop tu naa, hunt the wren, pound notes, a lack of pylons in the fields. It's akin to a kind of fatalism and just getting on with stuff that happens 'goin and grumblin' , hearing lots of yarns, not having snakes or badgers, the quay being busy in the summer, stinky seaweed on the beach, the lifeboat 'rocket', still seeing all your pals from school regularly and on and on..

You live the Manx Culture i would say its a lifestyle rather than a culture.

There is only one isle of man it is so unique its i guess priceless in ways.

Go anywhere in the UK and it feels all the same come over here and every town has its own little vibe.

Why bother with eastenders just twitch the curtains over here for entertainment.

Plus you don't get the top quality odd balls in the uk like you get over here, you know them women that look like men beard and all lol.

Manx culture is fast becoming Manx heritage - in fact the two are blurred.

Manx culture is now aligning itself with the UK as more and more people come over.

Of course, globalisation and corporate influence means the Island isn't unique with most town centres offering almost idenitcal shops, etc.

I think the days of speaking Manx and relaying the hardy life of a local crofter/fishermen are long gone.

The influence of Manx culture is more subtle.

I find I differ from others in the UK by feeling 10 miles is a long distance, a hill is a mountain, the sea is everywhere and not knowing what the f*** an MOT is.

As a "come-over" I think I have had a dramatic change of lifestyle since moving to the IOM. I enjoy the outdoors much more and have taken up fishing. My friend has restored an old Manx fishing boat and I have been sailing on that a few times. I don't know if this technically counts as culture but to me it does.

As for live music the Island is ok, I have had some cracking nights out. Fewer cover bands and more creativity wouldn't go a miss.

Clubbing is a bit of a step down in comparison to Manchester, but what place with the same population as the IOM wouldn't be. The DJ's and promoters are good but some of the venues are terrible (Breeze - over zealous bouncers and bad pole dancing, yuk)...

Overall the IOM has made a big impression on me and opened the doors to lot's of new experiences. I love to get off the Island every month but it's nice to come back to home. I would like to think that I have taken a little bit of Manx culture on board rather than diluted it.

I think the days of speaking Manx and relaying the hardy life of a local crofter/fishermen are long gone.

There's plenty of fluent Manx speakers who converse in Manx socially, and in the home.

But everyone who lives here speaks some Manx when they say placenames (at least those that haven't been Anglicised).

The Manx language is THE most distinct difference between us and the English, and THE most distinct connection with our Celtic cousins.

The Kids are learning / going to learn some Manx. This is cool as we have a mixture of Irish, English and Manx born in hour house. I always quiz the the Irish speakers in the family about word similarities with Manx (from the few basic words I know).

One of my oldest/best mates in Manchester has strong Manx family connections, so I guess the tide goes both ways so to speak. His Mam always talks me to death about the Island when I go back to my other home (Manchester) and pop in for a cupper.

Theres also an old pub in Trafford called the Legs of Man (I think it's called that or the Manx Arms) so I bet some victorian Manxie founded that:)

I have good friends from many different cultures and I think I'm a better person for it. It's good to challenge all of those preconceived perceptions every so often.

OH MY GOD!! I know the Legs of Mann! It is on Stretford Road as you get into Trafford. Haha.

I passed by there when we were viewing a house there. I wanted to go in for a skeet but it did seem VERY local. Should have gone in really.

It does seem weird how people are learning Manx nowadays. It died away because it didn't have a purpose and today it still doesn't. I definitely think the language should be preserved and would be cool if people had a spattering of Manx. Unlike Wales, however, the language HAS died out. It does seem a strange thing to have it ressurected if it is purely to instill some nationalism. My opinion anyway. I think it would be great if Manx History was taught in school. Just seems a little hollow having national identity resting on a dead language and an overuse of Manx flags.

Archived