Douglas Sh@hole!

Max Power

3 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

Imagine getting that past the NIMBYS - as in new residents/ local old timers, insularly bred, one eye in the middle if the forehead types, and with even more difficultly' the  "Boat In The Morning" "Proud Manxman",  brigade over here?

This is the failing of the place and why it will turn into a wasteland in the next 10 years.

As long as you can elect a half wit* on a couple of thousand votes that has no political experience or a political party behind them it will end in a shit storm.

* See at least half of the current MHK "Politicians" 

Prove me wrong or at least argue why this is not the case...........................................

I'm definitely not a 'boat in the morning' type. But why live here if you don't like it? There is a whole planet of fabulous opportunity. Why ever live anywhere you don't like? That's a crazy waste of your life. Why do that to yourself?

I love it here. It's a fantastic place to live and work from. The outdoors especially. In any weather.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, pongo said:

I'm definitely not a 'boat in the morning' type. But why live here if you don't like it? There is a whole planet of fabulous opportunity. Why ever live anywhere you don't like? That's a crazy waste of your life. Why do that to yourself?

Lots of folk don’t like leaving their family behind, it’s generally friends, family and employment that keeps people here.

The Isle of Man is a beautiful place, generally, but take away the seafront (which DoI have done quite successfully for a number of years) and Douglas is a fairly ordinary town in not very good condition. Plus, it has a crappy microclimate. I feel sorry for the people who live there. It’s best avoided, whenever possible.

9 minutes ago, joebean said:

The Isle of Man is a beautiful place, generally, but take away the seafront (which DoI have done quite successfully for a number of years) and Douglas is a fairly ordinary town in not very good condition. Plus, it has a crappy microclimate. I feel sorry for the people who live there. It’s best avoided, whenever possible.

I love the Isle of Man, moved here 15 years ago and can’t imagine moving back to the UK anytime soon. Can’t understand why anyone would chose to live in Douglas though, seems like the worst of both worlds to me.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, joebean said:

The Island has beautiful scenery and nature. But IMHO too many of the other "plus points" are myths perpetrated by those who are comfortable and/or doing very well out of the Island just as it is.

The same people who are slowly sucking the life-blood out of the place and are part of the cause of it currently transitioning to a high-cost and relatively low pay jurisdiction.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The Island has beautiful scenery and nature. But IMHO too many of the other "plus points" are myths perpetrated by those who are comfortable and/or doing very well out of the Island just as it is.

The same people who are slowly sucking the life-blood out of the place and are part of the cause of it currently transitioning to a high-cost and relatively low pay jurisdiction.

May of them sat there in their converted farmhouses paying pennies in local rates. 

An all island rate is the first step we need towards an equal society.

Then scrapping the tax cap. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, joebean said:

I have to disagree. Although not much can be done about the microclimate (rebuild Summerland - seriously)
Douglas has a fabulous east facing bay and picks up the sun from the second it rises through to late afternoon.

At night the full moan floats magnificently across the bay.

And each day it has the coming and going of the Steam Packet boats, from the horizon to the harbour.

You ain't lived unless you've spent a holiday on Douglas seafront (notwithstanding piss-head drunks crawling and shouting their way home from Jaks and 1886 at 3:30-4:30am on a Saturday and Sunday morning)

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Barlow said:

At night the full "moan" floats magnificently across the bay.

You ain't lived unless you've spent a holiday on Douglas seafront (notwithstanding piss-head drunks crawling and shouting their way home from Jaks and 1886 at 3:30-4:30am on a Saturday and Sunday morning)

Irony Alert 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AlanShimmin said:

May of them sat there in their converted farmhouses paying pennies in local rates. 

An all island rate is the first step we need towards an equal society.

Then scrapping the tax cap. 

What you want is equal payment for unequal services. That’s not an equal society it’s merely unfair taxation. 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, joebean said:

What you want is equal payment for unequal services. That’s not an equal society it’s merely unfair taxation. 

Nah fella, we live on a tiny island barely bigger than a medium sized town. The rates system is a joke. 

Whether you choose to use the services or not is up to you, it's your personal choice. 

The services are there regardless, so we should all be chipping in to fund them. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, joebean said:

It's also unfair taxation if the amount being taken is disproportionate for the services being provided, either in quantity or quality/value. Plus whether those services are even wanted, needed or used by the taxpayer?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlanShimmin said:

Nah fella, we live on a tiny island barely bigger than a medium sized town. The rates system is a joke. 

Whether you choose to use the services or not is up to you, it's your personal choice. 

The services are there regardless, so we should all be chipping in to fund them. 

I take it you live in Douglas. I don’t and use nothing there. As I have said before, if you don’t like your rates, vote for a different council. 

• Like 3