Douglas Sh@hole!

Max Power

23 hours ago, Barlow said:

If people can't do whatever it is they need to do on a night out by 1am, then they need to take a look at themselves. This is a message that the licensing authority needs to consider.

Jesus that is some generalisation.

A lot of good nights out have barely got going by 1am and the best ones are when you don't "need" to do anything.  The ones where you just meet up with mates and go with the flow with nothing to actually do.  Even better if by the end of the night you have new mates who you had never met a few hours ago.

1 hour ago, Ramseyboi said:

Jesus that is some generalisation.

A lot of good nights out have barely got going by 1am and the best ones are when you don't "need" to do anything.  The ones where you just meet up with mates and go with the flow with nothing to actually do.  Even better if by the end of the night you have new mates who you had never met a few hours ago.

You're right of course, up to a point, but does 'nothing to actually do' involve assaulting a taxi driver, or kicking shit out of one of your mates outside the pub?

etc.

24 minutes ago, Barlow said:

You're right of course, up to a point, but does 'nothing to actually do' involve assaulting a taxi driver, or kicking shit out of one of your mates outside the pub?

etc.

No it doesn’t. Only a tiny minority of people behave like that.  Douglas, like Ramsey, peel etc is generally a very safe and hassle free night out.

• Like 1

I don't see the point of labeling Dlas as a shithole. If you use Dlas, you're possibly part of the problem, if you don't, why worry?

It isn't DCorp or the Govt who dump their old mattress in the back lane * or decide to leave a vacant lot as is for ages.

* or top up card or mask or take away paper or fag end etc etc.

On 12/24/2021 at 5:09 PM, Ringy Rose said:

Not really, the sort of low-level stuff that gets reported in the Manx papers wouldn't even get a mention in any local paper across. Nobody would even bat an eyelid. And not even just in the big cities, one of the lairiest places I've been out is Skipton.

Anyone who thinks Douglas is bad has led a very sheltered life.

I remember the days when Skipton was the prettiest little rowdy shithole in North Yorkshire. Not so bad nowadays though:

image.png.8bec54ddb774194116ce3111226fb2de.png

On 12/24/2021 at 5:37 PM, Omobono said:

we should not tolerate  drunken  drug fuelled  ,abusive or violent behaviour,  this isn't city centre  UK the Isle of Man should have standards , cross the line and expect to dealt  with  a fairly serious manner , sadly the islands media are too lazy to attend the courts  these days and the newspapers and radios main concern is advertising revenue , and not news stories

the isle of man is still a safe place to live , and long may it continue !

It’s low level petty crime which affects the community as a whole, but it’s something that should be treated as zero tolerance, rather than constant fines and repeat offending. If they are constantly up before the Deputy and High Bailiff there is a problem which needs remedial action - harsh imprisonment for the maximum period allowable, hopefully the offender will get the message and make an effort to cooperate. 

One of the main problems causing repeat offending is Mental Health issues - alcohol addiction/misuse, drug misuse/addiction - psychiatric issues etc. Granted some are using these as an excuse in mitigation but sadly these issues are increasing as they are gaining prominence and people are more aware of the issues. The Mental Health Services need serious work spending to address the islands social issues. 

17 hours ago, Expat. said:

I remember the days when Skipton was the prettiest little rowdy shithole in North Yorkshire. Not so bad nowadays though:

image.png.8bec54ddb774194116ce3111226fb2de.png

I’ve driven through and past Skipton on the way to other parts of Yorkshire, and I’ve been to Skipton in the past visiting it’s attractions like the Castle. To be honest it’s better to have low level criminal activity and to some extent to be able to walk the streets without being violently attacked,

The issue of petty crime on the IOM is inexcusable in all honesty and sometimes I think that our authorities have allowed others to dictate policy (legal, dogooders and those who create excuses for offenders). Most people know right from wrong. Alcohol and Drugs whilst they may cause an impairment shouldn’t be an excuse for criminality or poor behaviour.

• Like 1