Douglas Sh@hole!

Max Power

Mr Quirk is on the Mannin line daily complaining about railings and that neither the DBC or DOI can agree who is responsible.

Why does it take a documentary maker to force government into action?  What our elected representatives doing?  Daphne is the only one to raise the issue!

10 hours ago, The Bastard said:

Rhyl - Apparently the "worst resort in the UK" according to the commentator. Clearly there's a lot of mistakes been made there, but it looks pretty interesting in comparison. It's not tried to maintain itself as a Victorian theme park, and some of the design decisions are what you'd call "brave", but this is what we're competing with as a holiday destination. If this is the UK's worst, I wonder how we'd rate. 

To be fair Rhyl is probably made worse by the fact all the drug addicts are constantly out robbing people. I have been to Rhyl a number of times and it is 100x worse than this place 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Why does it take a documentary maker to force government into action?  What our elected representatives doing?  Daphne is the only one to raise the issue!

Daphne is a broken record playing yesterday's hits. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, joebean said:

The video says two fundamental things about the IOM. First, that politicians and civil servants love talking and planning big initiatives but often don’t have the attention or competence to get the basics right. Secondly, and as has been said already, the Island is over-governed by authorities that often compete with each other for attention and incompetence.

In the case of Douglas, we have DBC and DoI, both of whom have tolerance levels of waste, ineffectiveness and misjudgement that would not be acceptable in any performance-driven organisation. Neither should exist in their current state but there is no will to tackle the obvious issues and reorganise how we are governed in a leaner, more efficient way.
Rusty railings, unfinished projects, weeds and grand schemes delivering very little are just symptoms of a bigger malaise that starts with the voters who demand little and get exactly what they vote for. 

+1

Loads of talkers, wafflers, hot air merchants and thesis/essayists. Sadly very little doers. The civil servants will spend other peoples money, like it’s not their own, especially when they retire they get a nice lump sum. They haven’t got to worry too much about whether to heat or eat. 

Some of these schemes could have been done over the winter, winter work schemes, long term unemployed with little skills or work history, prison work parties, the goon squad (as used by ex Hills Meadow Training Centre).  The DOI operate and own Chester Street car park, but yet resources to paint the walls and ceilings are regularly used. 

20 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Mr Quirk is on the Mannin line daily complaining about railings and that neither the DBC or DOI can agree who is responsible.

That speaks volumes as well. Every Tynwald Member can give examples of shitness, squalor and deprivation on the island. Highlighting and making a slow along with shaming is another matter. Rob Callister, MHK Onchan, Tourism Big Chief has said sweet fcuk all, again to him this is acceptable, but when your second rate, this is acceptable. If it’s an Onchan Resident then he is first rate, as at least there is a vote, with being a big cheese there is extra dosh. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

To be fair Rhyl is probably made worse by the fact all the drug addicts are constantly out robbing people. I have been to Rhyl a number of times and it is 100x worse than this place 

Was going to say the same, it’s not how the place looks but the type of tourist that visits. Rhyl has its fair share of undesirables looking for somewhere else to shit on that isn’t their own doorstep, Blackpool is somewhat similar.

• Like 1

The amount of outraged comments on the stories over facebook got me thinking, if people really cared that much why don't they get a group together like beach buddies and go out and paint the railings? 

A guy complained about the state of the steel posts at Rosemount opposite Prospect Terrace for ages. Eventually he painted them himself, in the correct Douglas 2000 blue. All he got for his trouble was a summons!

• Like 2

The amount of outraged comments on the stories over facebook got me thinking, if people really cared that much why don't they get a group together like beach buddies and go out and paint the railings? 

That's what I thought too, but it would probably be classed as vandalism and I'm a bit too old for that kind of bad publicity.

19 minutes ago, 2bees said:

That's what I thought too, but it would probably be classed as vandalism and I'm a bit too old for that kind of bad publicity.

True. If anything was to be done, it would have to be in partnership with the Corpy/DOI, and all the usual liability issues (such as lead paint) would need to get the boxes ticked first. Mind you, they'd probably spring for the paint and materials, at the expense of claiming it as a community partnership. I'm sure there would be quite a number of volunteers.

Yeah, like Rod Stewart knows the first thing about grading and compacting of road infill materials and tarmac sealant.

Come on guys, get real. Although in fairness the railings at the marine drive could be a goer.

1 minute ago, AOR said:

Yeah, like Rod Stewart knows the first thing about grading and compacting of road infill materials and tarmac sealant.

Come on guys, get real. Although in fairness the railings at the marine drive could be a goer.

Getting real doesn't mean turning up at the prom and relaying horse tram tracks. Beach Buddies aren't installing rock armour at Kirk Michael, they're just picking up bits of plastic, but they still make a difference. Back in the old days, groups like Manx Conservation Volunteers used to do quite a bit of maintenance through volunteer sessions. Needs to be done right and in partnership, but it's not completely unreasonable for people to want to pitch in to help.

• Like 1

Charles Guard's video - link here - has received over 22,00 posts this morning, That's good going, as posted 2 days ago.

As Paul Moulton asked in 2018  "is there anything else left for Charles Guard to do?"

I would suggest if he is going to do this sort of video, well yes, a whole shedload of videos.

• Like 1