Douglas Sh@hole!

Max Power

4 minutes ago, hampsterkahn said:

This is about neglect.

Willful neglect.

This is not about money or where resources could be better spent (there are always deserving causes to be cited -but it is never an either or - they will never be alternative recipients).

It is about something fundamental -essentially  an  attitude of mind.

The “broken window theory “  is real.If standards of general maintenance in a community  decline, the mores of a society slide, people lose respect for where they live and  then for each other; aspirations fail.The place becomes an increasingly unattractive place to live and frequent (and we at the very least need people to visit )In a predictable  sequence,  crime rises.

Maintenance , even at a personal level  like cleaning our teeth, washing now and again and brushing our shoes and straightening your clothes isn’t very exciting - but it helps one get by in life.

Polishing shoes, how many people wear shoes that need to be polished are you living in the 1940's

24 minutes ago, alpha-acid said:

Polishing shoes, how many people wear shoes that need to be polished are you living in the 1940's

It’s about standards, creating a positive image, pride in your appearance. Some Hotels have shoe polishing machines on the landing, whilst some offered shoe polishing if you placed your shoes outside your room door - things were different years ago. Incidentally I wear boots, but I do polish them with a sponge. 

35 minutes ago, alpha-acid said:

Let’s not deviate off into the minutiae of  whether one should or should not polish  (or  brush)/clean   shoes.*

That really is not the point! .It was largely metaphorical about maintenance/ self respect/ perceived / projected image.

*I readily defer to your superior knowledge on the subject of easy-wear footwear.

Edited by hampsterkahn
  • Like 1

Maybe it is about too many of our government (politicians and CS) are not 'from here'. They have not grown up with the empathy with our surroundings as many of us have.

As s perhaps suggested in Charles Guard's video.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, AOR said:

Maybe it is about too many of our government (politicians and CS) are not 'from here'. They have not grown up with the empathy with our surroundings as many of us have.

As s perhaps suggested in Charles Guard's video.

I don’t  think all that is ill can be laid at the door of those who,  as you say are not “from here”.

Whilst there have been some depressing appointees   from “ across” in some Departments, we have also come up with a few genuine, home grown nightmares of our own. 

• Like 1

TBH I hadn't considered the part of Marine Drive featured as part of my constituency - although probably the Port Soderick end is.

I thought the short by Charles Guard was excellent and I questioned the DfE Minister about it today. The fact I fix broken reading glasses and watchstraps with superglue is testament to my 'make do and mend' mentality, no doubt borne of growing up in the late 1950's when parents had just been through rationing. And I'm cheap.

Part of the problem is that we've all become so used to the disaster of Douglas Prom that we've taken it for granted the place looks shabby. But the CG video pointed out the apathy (or lack of funding?) amongst those you would think should be doing regular maintenance. I think this idea that everything has a 'life' and should periodically be replaced, rather than repaired and maintained, is rife. I'd happily see a couple of million taken out of the climate change budget and spent on paint, which would transform Douglas.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

It's all down to the constant need to find 'savings' that always end up with the lowest paid people laid off, the simple tasks left undone, contracts handed out to favoured contractors and the high rollers getting promoted.

"We saved £20000 by laying off 3 experienced manual workers and giving a limited contract to a local P&D firm who have no connection to the council and won it through an entirely open and honest tender process'.

Well done.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Perhaps it's time to extract their "shepherd", the good Mr Greenhow, from his lofty, glinting tower, show him the video, take him on a walk around to see the reality and say "This is where your Flock have taken us - now what are you going to do about it and them?"

Then sack him...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

TBH I hadn't considered the part of Marine Drive featured as part of my constituency - although probably the Port Soderick end is.

I thought the short by Charles Guard was excellent and I questioned the DfE Minister about it today. The fact I fix broken reading glasses and watchstraps with superglue is testament to my 'make do and mend' mentality, no doubt borne of growing up in the late 1950's when parents had just been through rationing. And I'm cheap.

Part of the problem is that we've all become so used to the disaster of Douglas Prom that we've taken it for granted the place looks shabby. But the CG video pointed out the apathy (or lack of funding?) amongst those you would think should be doing regular maintenance. I think this idea that everything has a 'life' and should periodically be replaced, rather than repaired and maintained, is rife. I'd happily see a couple of million taken out of the climate change budget and spent on paint, which would transform Douglas.

@Stu Petersgreat analogy. There is nothing wrong with fixing glasses with tape or superglue. It’s being practical, resourceful and saves time as well. A lot of the issues could have easily have been addressed without spend huge amounts of taxpayers money. IOMG/DOI have spent money on the railway bridges and line in Kirk Michael and Ballaugh, which isn’t exactly setting the world alight. Perhaps money is being spent in CM Cannans constituency, as he is the Chief Minister? 

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

It's all down to the constant need to find 'savings' that always end up with the lowest paid people laid off, the simple tasks left undone, contracts handed out to favoured contractors and the high rollers getting promoted.

"We saved £20000 by laying off 3 experienced manual workers and giving a limited contract to a local P&D firm who have no connection to the council and won it through an entirely open and honest tender process'.

Well done.

What tender process? 

• Haha 1