Douglas Sh@hole!

Max Power

16 hours ago, alpha-acid said:

Like hill walkers, fell runners, athletes of all sorts yes bang on

Yes when they are not pursuing their sports and are in town spending their money in the shops or restaurants, then these higher net worth visitors will be the sort to polish their shoes and take a pride in their appearance. These are people we need to attract into the local economy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RoundTheCourse said:

Yes when they are not pursuing their sports and are in town spending their money in the shops or restaurants, then these higher net worth visitors will be the sort to polish their shoes and take a pride in their appearance. These are people we need to attract into the local economy.

You mean the sorts the Guardian love to forever write about. Whilst they bring a touch of glamour, and some ‘money’ to the island, they also bring bad reputations and excess baggage due to alleged behaviour and practices. This is reflecting badly on the island and gives its critics plenty of ammunition. 

It’s all well and good thinking that HNWI will spend their money in Douglas, this is a fairytale. I can’t see them going down Strand Street or anywhere else to purchase anything. Though I could well be proved wrong, with a HNWI shopping in Dealz and TKMaxx. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2112 said:

You mean the sorts the Guardian love to forever write about. Whilst they bring a touch of glamour, and some ‘money’ to the island, they also bring bad reputations and excess baggage due to alleged behaviour and practices. This is reflecting badly on the island and gives its critics plenty of ammunition. 

It’s all well and good thinking that HNWI will spend their money in Douglas, this is a fairytale. I can’t see them going down Strand Street or anywhere else to purchase anything. Though I could well be proved wrong, with a HNWI shopping in Dealz and TKMaxx. 

Have you ever been near a cruise terminal in first world countries that are on the cruising ship circuit? If not you'll never understand what I mean by the sort of high spending tourists I am referring to, and instead will fondly imagine they are all like those you have invented in your post. I think you imagine that all travellers who have money are hooray Henries, but you are wrong, and sadly nothing will improve.

I haven’t been on a cruise - yet!

I don’t doubt your words though. Compared to other jurisdictions we can’t compete. Jersey has lots to offer HNWI, and so has Guernsey. 

3 minutes ago, RoundTheCourse said:

Have you ever been near a cruise terminal in first world countries that are on the cruising ship circuit? If not you'll never understand what I mean by the sort of high spending tourists I am referring to, and instead will fondly imagine they are all like those you have invented in your post. I think you imagine that all travellers who have money are hooray Henries, but you are wrong, and sadly nothing will improve.

Unbelievable! The minister says that he often walks around Marine Drive and round the whole Island. Yet he hadn't seen the poor fencing that has been there for years. Perhaps he would like to walk the length of the prom and prom walkway and see what a mess that still is. The  look of Douglas and much of the Island as a destination holiday resort is an embaressment. Filthy and rundownThe gateways, of the ferry terminal and airport look shabby and its downhill from there on. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, emesde said:

Unbelievable! The minister says that he often walks around Marine Drive and round the whole Island. Yet he hadn't seen the poor fencing that has been there for years. Perhaps he would like to walk the length of the prom and prom walkway and see what a mess that still is. The  look of Douglas and much of the Island as a destination holiday resort is an embaressment. Filthy and rundownThe gateways, of the ferry terminal and airport look shabby and its downhill from there on. 

At least he's apologised I suppose, an improvement on baker!  It seemed there plan was to close marine drive to cars but the public consultation didn't go their way.  

1 hour ago, emesde said:

I've seen him walking on Peel Promenade.

I suspect that's it though.

There's a certain irony in Crookall's latest remarks when commenting on the Marine Drive situation, and relevant also about the airport barriers. He states he's disappointed that something should've been actioned long ago...

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/historians-video-is-very-disappointing-says-doi-minister/

There you go, another throwaway comment. 

2 minutes ago, quilp said:

There's a certain irony in Crookall's latest remarks when commenting on the Marine Drive situation, and relevant also about the airport barriers. He states he's disappointed that something should've been actioned long ago...

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/historians-video-is-very-disappointing-says-doi-minister/

it's way beyond bloody disappointing...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

It is. But fortunately for our great and good, us Manxies are a passive lot and it'll all be forgotten if not forgiven in no time at all. The contraventions of ministerial codes is another, nothing will happen. It's the Manx way, ad infinitum. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, quilp said:

It is. But fortunately for our great and good, us Manxies are a passive lot and it'll all be forgotten if not forgiven in no time at all. The contraventions of ministerial codes is another, nothing will happen. It's the Manx way, ad infinitum. 

it's just a shame that half of the outraged posters on here don't gather outside Tynpotwald, that may focus their attention for a little while

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, quilp said:

I bet that video must have had the DOI in a panic, if they were going through the video looking at the issues raised. It tells you about the calibre of the management, who get paid well, deliver little, retire early on big lump sums, for the cycle to repeat itself.  

What I would say, that St Johns would not be left like some of the derelict and urban decay of Douglas, especially for Tynwald Day. I’m sure both DOI and DEFA would throw all their resources as having St Johns in a mess, would embarrass IOMG in front of its invited dignitaries and assembled great and good of Manx Society. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

I bet that video must have had the DOI in a panic...

I'd say the opposite. There'll be a token blame game going on between departments regarding who's responsible for what and when but it'll be far from panic-inducing to them. CG will be held partly responsible just for highlighting the shit-show, that's the way it works. Already there are shills on social media saying he produced it as a self-serving medium and questioning his intentions. Neither will his video induce a sense of responsibility nor add expediency to the necessary efforts required to get things done.

• Like 6