Douglas Sh@hole!

Max Power

3 hours ago, quilp said:

There's a certain irony in Crookall's latest remarks when commenting on the Marine Drive situation, and relevant also about the airport barriers. He states he's disappointed that something should've been actioned long ago...

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/historians-video-is-very-disappointing-says-doi-minister/

There you go, another throwaway comment. 

So is he really saying that his department were only aware of the issues on the Marine drive and the Promenade after CG's video ?. Really !!! Does staff there live in a parallel universe or only go home after dark.! They clearly have forgotten about all the finish dates given for the 'two' year prom works though.

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

So is he really saying that his department were only aware of the issues on the Marine drive and the Promenade after CG's video ?. Really !!! Does staff there live in a parallel universe or only go home after dark.! They clearly have forgotton about all the finish dates given for the 'two' year prom works though.

It's hard to see the Marine Drive road from the Sea Terminal offices....

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I don't wear pumps. I am a grownup.

You obviously are not a grownup person then pumps are for school children, trainers are for Athletes, you need to learn to differentiate

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, alpha-acid said:

You obviously are not a grownup person then pumps are for school children, trainers are for Athletes, you need to learn to differentiate

When I was at school we used to wear DAPS..   We thought everyone wore daps. It was only recently that I discovered it was because of a factory in Bristol near where I was brought up. It was called 

Dunlop Athletic Plimsolls. 

Never too old to learn 🤔

32 minutes ago, alpha-acid said:

Well what are these things they call “sneakers”?

Obviously athletes need appropriate footwear to participate in their sport but they don’t really have any place in the high street.

You don’t see people carrying skis, wearing shin pads or crash helmets in public spaces for no good reason .

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, emesde said:

When I was at school we used to wear DAPS..   We thought everyone wore daps. It was only recently that I discovered it was because of a factory in Bristol near where I was brought up. It was called 

Dunlop Athletic Plimsolls. 

Never too old to learn 🤔

According to Wiki:

There is a widespread belief that "daps" is taken from a factory sign – "Dunlop Athletic Plimsoles" which was called "the DAP factory". However, this seems unlikely as the first citation in the Oxford English Dictionary of "dap" for a rubber soled shoe is a March 1924 use in the Western Daily Press newspaper; Dunlop did not acquire the Liverpool Rubber Company (as part of the merger with the Macintosh group of companies) until 1925.

Never too old to learn indeed.

1 hour ago, alpha-acid said:

Must all be athletes waiting outside court having a last free smoke then. I am contrite.

• Haha 5

53 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Must all be athletes waiting outside court having a last free smoke then. I am contrite.

It does seem to be the footwear of choice for nefarious individuals. 

That said I do know some upstanding people who for whatever reason choose to wear this sort of thing. Shouldn’t tar them all with the same brush.

Unfortunately though  I have seem these items worn in restaurants ( Mac Donald’s doesn’t count as such)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

You are seriously troubled aren't you about people wearing casual clothes, the days of office suits and ties have long gone, times are a changing, but you might not have noticed of course

13 minutes ago, alpha-acid said:

You are seriously troubled aren't you about people wearing casual clothes, the days of office suits and ties have long gone, times are a changing, but you might not have noticed of course

No, I'm just winding you up. We used to call it banter but I think it's might be classed as bullying nowadays necessitating a safe space, so I'll stop.

I only wear a suit when I have to and choose jeans and T-shirts when I don't. With polished shoes though I do own a pair of Skechers too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, emesde said:

Unbelievable! The minister says that he often walks around Marine Drive and round the whole Island. Yet he hadn't seen the poor fencing that has been there for years. Perhaps he would like to walk the length of the prom and prom walkway and see what a mess that still is. The  look of Douglas and much of the Island as a destination holiday resort is an embaressment. Filthy and rundownThe gateways, of the ferry terminal and airport look shabby and its downhill from there on. 

Isn't one of the issues with Marine Drive that repairs and stabilising the roadway would be seen as a vanity project and unnecessary? 

I totally get that the barriers look terrible but prior to the Charles Guard video how would people have responded to the Government or Douglas Council spending money on it?  I think it would have been heavily criticised as a waste of money and only beneficial for doggers.

• Like 2