Douglas Sh@hole!

Max Power

28 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

20 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Isn't one of the issues with Marine Drive that repairs and stabilising the roadway would be seen as a vanity project and unnecessary? 

I totally get that the barriers look terrible but prior to the Charles Guard video how would people have responded to the Government or Douglas Council spending money on it?  I think it would have been heavily criticised as a waste of money and only beneficial for doggers.

But greater criticism if someone goes over the edge because the barriers fail to protect that from happening.

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Isn't one of the issues with Marine Drive that repairs and stabilising the roadway would be seen as a vanity project and unnecessary? 

I totally get that the barriers look terrible but prior to the Charles Guard video how would people have responded to the Government or Douglas Council spending money on it?  I think it would have been heavily criticised as a waste of money and only beneficial for doggers.

Somewhere I heard that the rock was dynamited and that's why it's unstable, compared to the coast road between Douglas and Ramsey?

26 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Somewhere I heard that the rock was dynamited and that's why it's unstable, compared to the coast road between Douglas and Ramsey?

Yeah it was blasted out and not very well. 

The whole road is a waste of resources. It should all be blasted into the sea and returned to a natural sea cliff. 

I finally got round to watching the video. Great stuff and on the money and all that...but too much polite 'harrumphing' and apolitical grumbling. Too much 'we could do better' and not enough 'they'. Call it out Charles and tell it like it is. It ain't the people that have left the Island in the mess that you describe. Give it a name...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

Yeah it was blasted out and not very well. 

The whole road is a waste of resources. It should all be blasted into the sea and returned to a natural sea cliff. 

Man, you really hate everything eh? Trains, schools, busses, castles, roads, shut them all!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Man, you really hate everything eh? Trains, schools, busses, castles, roads, shut them all!

Well if they serve no purpose and they're a drain on the taxpayer why keep them?

While you can accuse me of hating everything, serious cuts are the only thing that will change the current mess. Sitting around with our collective thumb up our arse isn't going to change a thing.

Edited by 0bserver
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Well if they serve no purpose and they're a drain on the taxpayer why keep them?

While you can accuse me of hating everything, serious cuts are the only thing that will change the current mess. Sitting around with our collective thumb up our arse isn't going to change a thing.

We had some periods of time recently where everything was shut.

It was shit.

10 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

No, I'm just winding you up. We used to call it banter but I think it's might be classed as bullying nowadays necessitating a safe space, so I'll stop.

I only wear a suit when I have to and choose jeans and T-shirts when I don't. With polished shoes though I do own a pair of Skechers too.

Ooooh, Skechers eh ? Very 'tres' those Stu. I've got a pair too. Can't polish the buggers though, not like real men's shoes.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

You're confusing a lockdown with efficient government. 

Most government departments seem to be happy to operate as if lockdown still exists. The slow way everything is being re-booted is embarrassing. It’s like they all went home in March 2020 and in May 2022 they’re still struggling to get back to normal. This seems to be what they all said was the “new normal” - nobody gives a shit and it’s up to us to re-boot everything if we want to get somewhere even vaguely close to where we were. 

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Has a politician yet to blame the neglected state of the place on Covid lockdown?

They’re blaming everything else on covid. Crookall has mentioned covid at least 20 times in relation to the prom and horse delays. Funny they all got paid over covid. Although what anyone actually did for the money is very debatable looking at the state of everything. 

• Like 2