Douglas Sh@hole!

Max Power

I see Allinson has launched himself as a D-Ream Tribute Act, with his appearance on the NPM. ‘Things will get better’ is the new mantra, and ‘government can always do better’, with the best ‘work is going on behind the scene’. Priceless but the type of shit that we have come to expect from him and IOMG. If IOMG were serious, as soon as the video was released, the DOI should have got its act together and started a clean up, with Marine Drive being first. Remove the crap, or replace with new railing, or repaint. Tidy the area, then start doing other areas. 

• Like 3

When is the wall at the bottom of Quarterbridge Bridge Road overlooking the Rugby Club being rebuilt? It’s been a mess for a long time and there are bags of building materials on the pavement - or are they there to protect the riders? Normally anything relating to the TT, the course, and associated with the TT is treated like the sacred cow, and all resources are thrown at it, except maybe in this case. Or is it another Douglas Corporation production number, whereby they are waiting for the insurers? 

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

I see Allinson has launched himself as a D-Ream Tribute Act, with his appearance on the NPM. ‘Things will get better’ is the new mantra, and ‘government can always do better’, with the best ‘work is going on behind the scene’. Priceless but the type of shit that we have come to expect from him and IOMG. If IOMG were serious, as soon as the video was released, the DOI should have got its act together and started a clean up, with Marine Drive being first. Remove the crap, or replace with new railing, or repaint. Tidy the area, then start doing other areas. 

Allinson says visitors will see more "Welcome" signs at the airport:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

If IOMG were serious, as soon as the video was released, the DOI should have got its act together and started a clean up, with Marine Drive being first. Remove the crap, or replace with new railing, or repaint. Tidy the area, then start doing other areas

With what money? 

9 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

With what money? 

If they are short of money, they need to be creative. As I’ve said before, use the unemployed, use those on probation. If they can devote resources to the TT then they have the money to tidy up. Has the Climate Change mob been given the £43 million yet? Use some of that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, quilp said:

The Never-Peters never miss an opportunity to expand a hit-piece on the MHK for middle. 

My comment was not targeted at Stu.  It was a general comment on older men saying they are interested in girls.

And back on subject...

There are many areas of the Island that have fallen into disrepair.   I suspect it's a combination of a lack of funding and general apathy.

As I mentioned before certain spending gets viewed as a vanity project and gets criticised for being a waste of tax payer's money.

Whatever happened to the plans for the Town Square in Douglas by the way?

• Like 1

£43 million to a local climate change lobby for a rock in the Irish Sea with 80,000 people, that's got no money. While China and India, with massive economies and a third of the planet's population, are still industrialising and knocking out coal fired power stations every month.

Still trying to get my head round the £43 million. Am I dreaming this ?   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Think most of the £43m is department climate response budgets, with only about £3m available to Climate Board

As dept budgets are extremely tight - you'd think they'd be told to re-budget if Dippy Dave has to go-a-dipping to fund this administration to the end of it's term - it's highly likely that climate response will be the first thing to go by the board

Edited by SleepyJoe
  • Like 1

I wasn't bullied into anything - I thought on reflection it was probably a valid point. I considered replacing 'girls' with 'supermodels' for comedic effect (like THAT would ever happen) but I've realised that I'm getting more responsible with age - I just passed up an Audi V10 for a sensible Golf. Thing about the VW is I can get a farty exhaust, bigger turbo, cat delete, window tints and baseball cap.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

£43 million to a local climate change lobby for a rock in the Irish Sea with 80,000 people, that's got no money. While China and India, with massive economies and a third of the planet's population, are still industrialising and knocking out coal fired power stations every month.

Still trying to get my head round the £43 million. Am I dreaming this ?   

I'm no so sure that the Island's "got no money" though. I personally think that there's plenty of money, just less than there used to be though.

The problem is that the usual suspect noses in the trough can't or won't accept that and are demanding that they carry on hogging at the levels that they've become accustomed to previously, this leaves less for everything else.

Look at the Covid distribution of £110M for example (including Sefton and Baker's take for that bowling alley). The cost of running Tynwald and the growing PS salary bill. The farmers handouts. Just to name but a few of the unassailable Establishment draws on the public finances.

Finances and attitudes need a reset over here.

• Like 7

Now that covid restrictions have been de-restricted, Parade Street car park can once again be used as a car park. Which means that Kane Ltd. can get on with converting a grubby car park into seven cinemas. After all, those 500,000 visitors are going to need something to do in the evenings - maybe the afternoons as well.

Ah, but no doubt there will be the usual excuses - covid, labour, lack of qualified projectionists, no piano players....

• Haha 1