Douglas Sh@hole!

Max Power

26 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I'm no so sure that the Island's "got no money" though. I personally think that there's plenty of money, just less than there used to be though.

The problem is that the usual suspect noses in the trough can't or won't accept that and are demanding that they carry on hogging at the levels that they've become accustomed to previously, this leaves less for everything else.

Look at the Covid distribution of £110M for example (including Sefton and Baker's take for that bowling alley). The cost of running Tynwald and the growing PS salary bill. The farmers handouts. Just to name but a few of the unassailable Establishment draws on the public finances.

Finances and attitudes need a reset over here.

You'd expect conservative government led by CM Cannan and TM Ashford to live within it's means - it's astonishing they intend to run on a deficit to the end of their time of office

A progressive government might dip into reserves to build for a better future, but surely not just to fund the existing government establishment?

Crazy times, crazy economics of government

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Now that covid restrictions have been de-restricted, Parade Street car park can once again be used as a car park. Which means that Kane Ltd. can get on with converting a grubby car park into seven cinemas. After all, those 500,000 visitors are going to need something to do in the evenings - maybe the afternoons as well.

Ah, but no doubt there will be the usual excuses - covid, labour, lack of qualified projectionists, no piano players....

That won’t happen. No Government Grants.

4 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

You'd expect conservative government led by CM Cannan and TM Ashford to live within it's means - it's astonishing they intend to run on a deficit to the end of their time of office

A progressive government might dip into reserves to build for a better future, but surely not just to fund the existing government establishment?

Crazy times, crazy economics of government

I would rather be prudent and live within our means. We are trying to compete with other jurisdictions, but failing miserably. 

4 hours ago, 2112 said:

I would rather be prudent and live within our means. We are trying to compete with other jurisdictions, but failing miserably. 

we will soon be up there with ukraine, you wait and see.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, AOR said:

I'm not sure why I am resurrecting this thread today. Not sure at all.

To prove that the thread was erroneously posted, given the glory that our capital has had conferred upon it today....? 😂

• Haha 3

On 5/8/2022 at 9:51 AM, Two-lane said:

Allinson says visitors will see more "Welcome" signs at the airport:

Since when is DoI supplying missiles to Ukraine? And is that some sort of new-fangled missile launcher disguised as a crane in the background? 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Zarley said:

Since when is DoI supplying missiles to Ukraine? And is that some sort of new-fangled missile launcher disguised as a crane in the background? 

You cant believe anything this guy says , he  has had 3 different major ministerial  jobs in government in the last few years and not delivered on any of them ,

On 5/21/2022 at 9:30 AM, Zarley said:

Isn't Ukraine suffering enough without having to work with the DoI?

• Haha 3

Most likely my very last post on here so here we go......

I have been on the island since the beginning of the week for a funeral. I lived here from the late 70s until I moved away in mid 2010s

Please don't take these comments badly and be haters, but the truth is, the place is looking far far worse than it did in 2014 and it was not exactly gleaming then.

The site where the 1886 music is being done has been "vacant" since I was a kid mid 80s, the same with the site where the  main Bus station was. The Summerland site? The Walpole Avenue  site? I could on as I am sure you know and this is only Douglas, the City!

I went to Ramsey this afternoon and apart from some new flats opposite the Corry Park it looks just as run down as it did 8 years ago. In Ramsey's case its even worse as there seems to be  a lot of demolition  sites which from  asking around in town I am told they  have  been bought by "Developers"

Can I just suggest one thing?

Make "Developers" who buy up these empty plots do some development within a short, stipulated, timeframe or tax them highly.

The island does not look good peeps, in fact I have not seen it worse.

It could be a lot better.

Take care and I hope you are all still using Stu Peters Coffee shop. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 14

8 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

I have been on the island since the beginning of the week for a funeral. I lived here from the late 70s until I moved away in mid 2010s

Please don't take these comments badly and be haters, but the truth is, the place is looking far far worse than it did in 2014 and it was not exactly gleaming then.

The site where the 1886 music is being done has been "vacant" since I was a kid mid 80s, the same with the site where the  main Bus station was. The Summerland site? The Walpole Avenue  site? I could on as I am sure you know and this is only Douglas, the City!

I went to Ramsey this afternoon and apart from some new flats opposite the Corry Park it looks just as run down as it did 8 years ago. In Ramsey's case its even worse as there seems to be  a lot of demolition  sites which from  asking around in town I am told they  have  been bought by "Developers"

Make "Developers" who buy up these empty plots do some development within a short, stipulated, timeframe or tax them highly.

We all know Douglas is a shit tip. There are only a couple of Council members who are in denial about it.

He sold his coffee empire a few years ago. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Nobody is going to hate you for speaking the truth. Everybody except those in authority can see how bad things are. What they propose to do about it is another thing. Easiest solution for them is to bury their collective heads in the sand

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Nobody is going to hate you for speaking the truth. Everybody except those in authority can see how bad things are. What they propose to do about it is another thing. Easiest solution for them is to bury their collective heads in the sand

Wholesale demolition of Douglas Town Centre would be a start.

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Wholesale demolition of Douglas Town Centre would be a start.

No it wouldn't, the place needs maintenance by both private and public owners. There are some lovely buildings, old and new,  but they are unloved and uncared for.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3