Douglas Sh@hole!

Max Power

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

There have been Smoking Rooms in pubs for a century and more. Up until the last few decades they were actively used and respected. But at some point the average smoker believed they had the right to smoke absolutely anywhere at all, and everywhere became a 'smoke room'.

This is simply not true.

In general you could smoke in any room in a pub which was the default.  I think I may recall a couple that did have dedicated no smoking rooms and these were respected by the smokers. Why would they not be?

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

This is simply not true.

In general you could smoke in any room in a pub which was the default.  I think I may recall a couple that did have dedicated no smoking rooms and these were respected by the smokers. Why would they not be?

No they weren't they took great delight sitting amongst folk that were eating

10 minutes ago, Zarley said:

About what, Finlo's mum being a clever lady?

Maybe more about the other stuff. If someone emails me specific points I can check on them, find out maintenance schedules, etc. Contact details are here: http://douglas.gov.im/index.php/the-council/councillors

I’ll pick up some of the bits mentioned here already out of own interest and see what I can find out. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Maybe an unintended consequence, the smoking outside the pub but hardly unforeseen. As for staring blindly into space that is risible, they are largely found to be enjoying each other’s company.

Sometimes, but more often than not it's 1000 metre stare job, while they fill their alveoli with nicotine enhanced smoke.

Your condemnation of smokers as “addicts” is a lazy stereotype. I did ask whether you thought that those who enjoyed an occasional pint were addicts ( maybe I should have said “alcoholics) in relation to those who enjoy the occasional cigarette. I don’t believe you replied

Alcohol is a different matter. And I don't condone its use. 

Nicotine's primary effect is to cure a persons craving for it. The cure of the craving, albeit temporary and self-induced, provides a pleasant feeling, all is well with the world sort of thing. It's a false and self induced pleasant feeling. Etc blah,blah. Been there done that.

Here's one for you. Look at a smoker's expression when they start to smoke a cigarette. It is usually one of joy and happiness. Look at their face when they take that last drag of the ciggie, but especially the grimace and turning of the mouth as they stamp it out.   

Contrary to your last statement it is widely acknowledged that the smoking ban has contributed significantly to the decrease in the pub trade

My point was that people walking past a pub might want to nip in for a drink but the public face of any pub these days is a gaggle of smokers at the door.

For a non-smoker - or indeed a smoker - the gaggle is not generally a pleasant welcoming party. A sort of substitute bouncer/door man.

I'm not saying this is the only factor why pubs have took a downturn but it is a contribution.

Edited by Barlow

7 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Maybe more about the other stuff. If someone emails me specific points I can check on them, find out maintenance schedules, etc. Contact details are here: http://douglas.gov.im/index.php/the-council/councillors

I’ll pick up some of the bits mentioned here already out of own interest and see what I can find out. 

Whilst you're at it, for the sake of Douglas ratepayers, ask if there's a more conclusive way of dealing with seaweed than pushing it back into the sea, just to wash up again on the next tide?

Like taking it away altogether periodically which would reduce the need for the almost daily operation?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

My point was that people walking past a pub might want to nip in for a drink but the public face of any pub these days is a gaggle of smokers at the door.

But before the smoking ban the 'public face' of the pub would be these same people inside.  Smoking.  If they're going to put you off outside, that's hardly going to entice you to stay inside.

Returning to the original topic re how tatty things are looking - it's not only Douglas.

I was at the airport for the first time in nearly 2 years.  Aside from the fact the entire building needs a fresh coat of 'whitewash' or whatever colour it is supposed to be, I drove up past the factory towards Ballasalla - weeds were in full bloom in the pavement and both sides of the carriageway.

For anyone arriving by air, and hopefully numbers will be increasing (and dramatically so when the parish council sees sense and trashes the ridiculous travel bureaucracy) first impressions count and the impression that stretch of road portrays is a poorly maintained infrastructure  = impoverished local authority.  That's just what we need to encourage prospective investors and businesses to locate here - not!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

This is simply not true.

It's funny to look back on places like cinema's like the Strand and the smoking and non-smoking sides. Or smoking and non-smoking seats on aircraft. Or the sly fag at the back of the school bus.

It really is a stupid habit and slowly dwindling away with each generation. Sadly, like dog shit and gum, discarded fag ends are just part of the urban envrinment where the lazy and inconsiderate do as they always do.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Utah 01 said:

Returning to the original topic re how tatty things are looking - it's not only Douglas.

I was at the airport for the first time in nearly 2 years.  Aside from the fact the entire building needs a fresh coat of 'whitewash' or whatever colour it is supposed to be, I drove up past the factory towards Ballasalla - weeds were in full bloom in the pavement and both sides of the carriageway.

For anyone arriving by air, and hopefully numbers will be increasing (and dramatically so when the parish council sees sense and trashes the ridiculous travel bureaucracy) first impressions count and the impression that stretch of road portrays is a poorly maintained infrastructure  = impoverished local authority.  That's just what we need to encourage prospective investors and businesses to locate here - not!

We have investors. Lots of foreign investors buying up new build houses, which will be then rented out, via our wonderful estate agents. 

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, 2112 said:

We have investors. Lots of foreign investors buying up new build houses, which will be then rented out, via our wonderful estate agents. 

The problem I see with BTL is that there has to be a demand, at the moment there appears to be a massive profit to be made short-term for BTL,  question is how long will it last? I had a look at some of the asking prices for property recently and could not help but wonder who in their right mind would be willing to pay 30% more than a property is worth in the current climate? A few examples of existing issues, No GPs /no Dentists /Schools unable to get teaching staff /Hospital unable to cope with current waiting lists/Travel to and from the Island at best mediocre and at worse terrible/ Infrastructure unable to get even the main roads up to a reasonable standard and that is the tip of the iceberg, I may be missing something or asleep for the last 18 months I do not know,  but my own family members are upping sticks and moving further afield as apart from myself and the missus they have nothing to stay for both have decent jobs but they feel like they are missing out on life as they are not pub goers and like to go out as a family and visit cinema and leisure parks etc which sadly are lacking and we totally agree with them as there is nothing for young familys on this Island if you don't drink or like motorbikes/cycling. I do wonder how the youth of the Island are going to manage looking to the future and beyond. Is it just me or can others see a brighter future for our youth.

11 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Whilst you're at it, for the sake of Douglas ratepayers, ask if there's a more conclusive way of dealing with seaweed than pushing it back into the sea, just to wash up again on the next tide?

Like taking it away altogether periodically which would reduce the need for the almost daily operation?

Farmers used to take it away and use it, but now it's too full of plastic and junk

• Like 1