Douglas Sh@hole!

Max Power

4 minutes ago, AOR said:

It may well have been latterly. I think there was a last entry too. There were queues at 10:30pm (I remember Parish Walk leaders coming in and being cheered by the queue). So plenty of time to have a good night out. 

3:30am is ridiculous.

Yes def queues at 10 30 etc but that was due to free entry or cheaper before that and security would hold punters on the door so the bar staff wouldnt be hammered . I worked there on the bar at weekends .Agree 3 30 am is to late. And its a fact , or was takings after 11 30/12 ish would plummet . 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AOR said:

@jackwhite I'm not against the alcohol industry per se. I'm not against late night so-called clubbing as such.

I'm all for it and all for people having fun and enjoying themselves. Dance to loud music all night long - I don't have a particular opinion.

What I am against is drunkenness and anti-social behaviour.

How can't you see that?

Go get drunk as much as you like (and yes, drugs too if that is a person's desire) but don't let that overspill into other people's enjoyment of life. Inebriated loudmouths wondering the streets of Douglas at 4:0m on a Sunday thinking the world revolves around them is what I am complaining about, and society is facilitating that. And your argument seems to be condoning it.

The few as always spoil it for the rest, and that includes people who enjoy late night drinking and partying and also the people who enjoy a bit of peace.

My 'argument' isn't condoning it. What I'm against is what I describe. I would say it's fairly straight forward. 

Let's take the case of lock ins from days gone by as an example shall we? There is even more chance of 'drunkenness and anti-social behaviour' at these given no monitoring was taking place. Some of these were from the licensees themselves. There is one who is legendary albeit no longer in the trade. These things have existed as long as alcohol has. 

I'd say those 'wandering the streets of Douglas at 4:0m on a Sunday' aren't thinking the world revolves around them. Most of them won't be thinking about anything other than getting home, finding a lady friend or somewhere that may still be serving food at that time. Your banging on that it shouldn't be allowed more smacks of you thinking the world revolves around yourself.

It's like everything, you will find responsible persons and not responsible persons. These include the likes of myself working in hospitality. If I can see someone is drunk I don't serve them. I don't care who they are (son of the owner on many occasions), who they're with or what the excuse is. However many of the bar staff on island don't follow this. They either don't know quite frankly (as many think it's the norm to continue to serve if they notice someone is drunk and have never been properly trained otherwise), the regime they are working under permits it or they simply turn a blind eye to it. Whether that be for profit or for possible fear of losing their job, I can't answer that. Regardless it's not right. Really that's what needs to be done to control it. The problem is it will never happen. There are unscrupulous landlords out there. However it's not 'black or white' like many things in life. 

Lets put it this way, if we do as you suggest and everywhere closes at 1, all this will lead to is more drunkenness as people throw drinks down their neck knowing they have even less time. 

Drunkenness will always happen. It doesn't take much to put me in that condition myself. Anti social behaviour I don't participate in. 

Anyway a lot of information in there but you can't directly just blame individuals. There is a need for everyone to do better. However it's not as simple as everywhere closing at 1am.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As Jack so ably puts it, drunkenness will always happen. We have the luxury of living in a free society, so people should be free to go out and have a good time until whenever the hell they want. This isn't North Korea. If we let the most conservative and the most elderly decide what's acceptable, then the only entertainment will be church on Sunday and the only drink will be a Dubonnet before the Queen's speech.

What AOR is complaining about is a tiny minority of drinkers who are making noise outside her house, but is broadening that into an assault on the liberty of everyone else who isn't. There's already plenty of measures out there to deal with noisy drunks, and either asking the Police for an extra patrol or just rolling over and going back to sleep are both viable options.

Squeeze society into a straightjacket, and it will pop out in other ways. The bang-on-the-door weekend shebeen down the road from me will get busier, where drinking goes on without any thought of measures, taxation or regulated drunkenness. Instead of clubbing in a licensed, supervised venue, the unlicensed raves that are already happening will get bigger. Nobody will worry about security, bar bans, measures or levels of drunkenness there.  

Over-regulation is not the answer. Regulation is only a thin veneer on the chaos of society that's there with society's consent. When it becomes too onerous and too difficult to comply with, society throws it off. Try to turn this place into a kafkaesque hell of pleasure-denial, and society will simply go around you, often making the problem worse.

• Thanks 1

An important aspect being missed out of this debate is ...Democracy! We have the lawful right to go about our lawful life without interference from the State.

In the sixties and before, there were Winter and Summer opening times, in the Summer because there were Tourists about, we were graciously awarded an extra hour of 'opening time' but in the Winter we Manx were hurried off to bed so as to be ready to give a full days work to our Lord and Masters the next day.

As we learnt that our place was not to be subjugated to these masters we demanded parity and that came through  an opening out of the licensing laws to reflect what we wanted.

OK. That came with groups of Men 'shouting' loudly Coldplays latest and groups of Women singing out of tune in an Brenda Lee voice  to whatever!

But this was Democracy, it doesn't suit everyone but it allows those who wish partake the chance to do so?

Does living above the noise give you the right to deny democracy?

Do we want restrictive Licensing Laws?

35 minutes ago, Kopek said:

An important aspect being missed out of this debate is ...Democracy! We have the lawful right to go about our lawful life without interference from the State.

In the sixties and before, there were Winter and Summer opening times, in the Summer because there were Tourists about, we were graciously awarded an extra hour of 'opening time' but in the Winter we Manx were hurried off to bed so as to be ready to give a full days work to our Lord and Masters the next day.

As we learnt that our place was not to be subjugated to these masters we demanded parity and that came through  an opening out of the licensing laws to reflect what we wanted.

OK. That came with groups of Men 'shouting' loudly Coldplays latest and groups of Women singing out of tune in an Brenda Lee voice  to whatever!

But this was Democracy, it doesn't suit everyone but it allows those who wish partake the chance to do so?

Does living above the noise give you the right to deny democracy?

Do we want restrictive Licensing Laws?

Pubs were closed on a Sunday in winter up until, pretty sure,  the early 80s.  They may have been open at lunchtimes on winter Sundays, all year round, I think. 

But, yes, you are right there was definitely a view that the Lord's day was to be kept for locals when there were no visitors. 

34 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Pubs were closed on a Sunday in winter up until, pretty sure,  the early 80s.  They may have been open at lunchtimes on winter Sundays, all year round, I think. 

But, yes, you are right there was definitely a view that the Lord's day was to be kept for locals when there were no visitors. 

12 till 2 then 8 till 10 wasn't it Sunday's ? But there were that many 'other' establishments open outside those hours. Guest house , Palace etc 

Edited by Numbnuts

19 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

12 till 2 then 8 till 10 wasn't it Sunday's ? But there were that many 'other' establishments open outside those hours. Guest house , Palace etc 

Prior to that you had to have a "substantial" meal to access alcohol and usually a trip out to the country!

22 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Not during the winter, I don't think they opened in the evening. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, alpha-acid said:

I moved here in 1980 and pubs were open on a Sunday Evening with the restricted times quoted above

Yes, but not before then.  They definitely closed in the evening during the winter, what I couldn't recall is if they opened at lunchtime in the winter.  It was known as 'winter opening times'.

• Thanks 1