Douglas Sh@hole!

Max Power

35 minutes ago, AOR said:

There was a reply to one of my posts somewhere on the forum about me awake at night worrying about zombies fighting and roaming the streets of Douglas late at night.

It was of course, a sarcastic dig at my consternation of noisey drunks/druggies late at night/early morning at weekends in Douglas.

Turns out the sarcasm was somewhat mis-placed. Admitting it was 'only' 1:18 am on a Sunday morning rather than 3 or 4am, but I wouldn't be happy staying in one of the sea view hotels on Douglas Promenade.

This from Isle of Man Today:

When my dad first moved to the island to work as a 22yr old Irish lad, a group of Glaswegians kicked him half to death on Douglas Prom in the middle of summer 1950! In the days when we had actual tourists, not imaginary ones! 

@AORI know you've been banging on about the state of the capital city after dark and the carnage that ensues and, to be honest, I thought you were being a pissy little cry baby. That was until I had the misfortune to spend a night in one of the hotels on the prom a month or two back. The room was actually at the 'back' so we ended up on Castle Street, right next to the takeaways. It sounded like WW3 almost non stop until after 5am. And not just young people enjoying themselves but people totally out of it, brawling, throwing stuff about, including bins, glasses and bottles, and each other, screaming and shouting at the top of their voices. And this is loads of different groups, as one lot moved along the next would quickly take their place. Was an absolute shitshow and that was only for one night, you have my sympathies for having to put up with that every single weekend.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I was in town the other day and the shop that used to be Wallis had a pile of litter and rubbish in its doorway, between that and the abandoned mess opposite the street looked really scruffy, don’t they have road sweepers any more.

What ever happened to the guy with the twitch?

1 hour ago, reptar said:

@AORI know you've been banging on about the state of the capital city after dark and the carnage that ensues and, to be honest, I thought you were being a pissy little cry baby. That was until I had the misfortune to spend a night in one of the hotels on the prom a month or two back. The room was actually at the 'back' so we ended up on Castle Street, right next to the takeaways. It sounded like WW3 almost non stop until after 5am. And not just young people enjoying themselves but people totally out of it, brawling, throwing stuff about, including bins, glasses and bottles, and each other, screaming and shouting at the top of their voices. And this is loads of different groups, as one lot moved along the next would quickly take their place. Was an absolute shitshow and that was only for one night, you have my sympathies for having to put up with that every single weekend.

In the middle of a city, right where all the pubs and nightlife is?   No way!!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, finlo said:

What ever happened to the guy with the twitch?

Yes , not seen him around for awhile. Nice guy ,sadly had a tough time over recent years and has a few issues but doesn't stop him from trying to lead a happier life. Hope he's still got work somewhere.   

2 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Yes , not seen him around for awhile. Nice guy ,sadly had a tough time over recent years and has a few issues but doesn't stop him from trying to lead a happier life. Hope he's still got work somewhere.   

Nice guy? A few issues? He was a convicted nonce with a violent temper. 

4 minutes ago, quilp said:

Nice guy? A few issues? He was a convicted nonce with a violent temper. 

Then I am mixing him up with someone else. Sorry .. 

The guy I am referring to is so the opposite traits to what you suggest.   

Edited by Numbnuts

16 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Not sure what you are saying. Things like this happen in every town and city in the world all the time. There are far worse places than Douglas as I am sure you know. 

Yes I know. I don't live there in those places. I don't men to sound disrespectful but your point is irrelevant.

16 hours ago, Max Power said:

When my dad first moved to the island to work as a 22yr old Irish lad, a group of Glaswegians kicked him half to death on Douglas Prom in the middle of summer 1950! In the days when we had actual tourists, not imaginary ones! 

The very same thing happened into the 1970s when two Glaswegians were birched. It was 'sport' to kick shit out of people in those days, even by local thugs. It has been interesting to see them develop into old men, now supposedly pillars of society some of them.

12 hours ago, Asthehills said:

In the middle of a city, right where all the pubs and nightlife is?   No way!!

You're right of course. Yeah, so we extend the licensing hours to 3:30am Saturday and Sunday to bring the misery to more people for a longer duration.