Douglas Sh@hole!

Max Power

In the same vein as the Royal Institution Christmas Lectures, perhaps Mr Guard could be persuaded to deliver an Isle of Man Government Annual Bollocking, listing the chores he set on previous occasions and noting "That bedroom is still a disgrace, young man."

Edited by loaf
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, The Port Soderick Herald said:

If so it would probably follow their street parking policy. Pedestrianize streets so they can use them for their own free parking.  

8804CD7F-E1A8-4BEF-A5B3-68396F27A61B.jpeg

Whose are those?  I think I know who the BMW belongs to but would not like to say just in case I am wrong.

Ok.

Is Amadeus about to go and take some photos of the parking signs down there and let us know what the restrictions are or aren’t?

We all know he love a parking Moan so I am sure he will be all over this misdemeanour 😂

IMG_7231.jpeg

Edited by Asthehills
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Asthehills said:

Whose are those?  I think I know who the BMW belongs to but would not like to say just in case I am wrong.

You’d be right whose it is PMN 121 K. The exact same person who seems to have an issue with calling out everyone else’s so called selfish parking on Twitter (inc the Rolls Royce driver in your post above). 

Edited by The Port Soderick Herald

The NPM are highlighting replies from this weeks Tynpotwald, whereby Minister Thomas says that Lord Street development will be years away, he wants to see action prior to 2026 election, but fresh planning will have to be made. Why wait? If using 2026 as a benchmark target for completion is anything, it won’t get MHKs re-elected. I think IOMG are too nice, friendly, cosy, chummy and in league with many developers, allowing them sway within aspects of island life. However in this case the scheme hasn’t worked, the island is poorer, Douglas is still a shithole, and the developers have prime asset gifted to them to do as they please. 

Local Historian Charles Guard comments that developers be financially bound whilst good ideas just won’t happen. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, 2112 said:

The NPM are highlighting replies from this weeks Tynpotwald, whereby Minister Thomas says that Lord Street development will be years away, he wants to see action prior to 2026 election, but fresh planning will have to be made. Why wait? If using 2026 as a benchmark target for completion is anything, it won’t get MHKs re-elected. I think IOMG are too nice, friendly, cosy, chummy and in league with many developers, allowing them sway within aspects of island life. However in this case the scheme hasn’t worked, the island is poorer, Douglas is still a shithole, and the developers have prime asset gifted to them to do as they please. 

Local Historian Charles Guard comments that developers be financially bound whilst good ideas just won’t happen. 

Did you actually listen to the audio, because it doesn’t sound like you did?

He clearly says they have applied for funding under the new scheme and are waiting for an answer back on whether they have been successful (like a lot of other sites in town) if they have they will need to apply for new planning as the scheme has changed.

26 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

He clearly says they have applied for funding under the new scheme and are waiting for an answer back on whether they have been successful (like a lot of other sites in town) if they have they will need to apply for new planning as the scheme has changed.

Yes I did listen. Listening to the waffle didn’t fill me with confidence. Perhaps we will give them (developers) the money, let them build and they still go tits up because of a) lack of finance b) lack of finance c) economic uncertainty ………….. 

Let’s just another bus station, retail units with social housing over the top. Forget about retail, cinema and leisure as it’s pie in the sky and won’t happen. Like the Duke Street flats development will never get completed. Another pie in the sky development. 

40 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

I'm so happy the taxpayer could bail these guys out. I couldn't think of a better use for our funds. Hopefully we'll get some luxury apartments and/or a budget hotel as part of any revised planning.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Twitch said:

I'm so happy the taxpayer could bail these guys out. I couldn't think of a better use for our funds. Hopefully we'll get some luxury apartments and/or a budget hotel as part of any revised planning.

Since when is a grant to help make something more viable for all of our benefits bailing someone out?

22 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Yes I did listen. Listening to the waffle didn’t fill me with confidence. Perhaps we will give them (developers) the money, let them build and they still go tits up because of a) lack of finance b) lack of finance c) economic uncertainty ………….. 

Let’s just another bus station, retail units with social housing over the top. Forget about retail, cinema and leisure as it’s pie in the sky and won’t happen. Like the Duke Street flats development will never get completed. Another pie in the sky development. 

I agree it needs developing but the present owners who government sold it to don’t have funding in place to do it which is why they want to run it as a car park & charge, government said no which is why he’s letting it be used as a free for all without planning!!

Assume the date when development must start will be up in next few years when presumably it will revert back to government ownership under agreement.

Unless you know different government can’t build on sites they don’t own & also no planning permission for social housing etc!!

26 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Let’s just (build) another bus station, retail units with social housing over the top.

I remember the old bus station - but I can’t remember why it was demolished.   Allowing for the usual satirical responses, can anyone remember what reason/purpose was given at the time?

14 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

I remember the old bus station - but I can’t remember why it was demolished.   Allowing for the usual satirical responses, can anyone remember what reason/purpose was given at the time?

Probably because it was tired, dated and concrete. Not fit for purpose. Didn’t meet standards. The old building was never ideal, was old fashioned but it served its purpose, like a lot of taxpayer owned property. It should be adapted, reimagined, repurposed not entirely knocked down - last resort. 

Edited by 2112
  • Haha 2