Douglas Sh@hole!

Max Power

36 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

The actual promenade surface is in good condition. The properties all along the promenade are the biggest shithole from hell so its not helping much. If Douglas is a shithole, what on earth is Morecambe?

Agreed. I have been there recently, and to Blackpool. Awful places. Morecombe will benefit from Eden North, if it happens, and happens there. Blackpool was an awful tacky place. I am glad to say Douglas is far better. 

30 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Hopefully this will help some. I can't believe this didn't happen years ago. I assumed empty properties already paid rates

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/owners-of-empty-properties-in-douglas-will-be-made-to-pay-rates/

I have never understood why empty properties do not attract rates. The infrastructure is still there and has to be maintained. No excuse. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

All the people who constantly moan about the Isle of Man why don't you go and live in one of these towns that you claim are so much better? I don't understand why you would stay somewhere you hate 

See you are still having problems with your reading. I don't think anybody is saying other places are better, they are saying the IOM is becoming an eyesore

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The truth is there are places better than Douglas and there are places worse than Douglas. 

One thing that is clear is that people don't seem to take any pride in Douglas like they used to. 

I think that is down to over burdensome bureaucracy, expensive rents, and a general lack of spending power in the local economy. 

I feel like people are generally just more tired and worse off than they ever used to be (although that could just be becuse they're talking with me 😂)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There are weeds outside the Tynwald building. But I suppose most members drive in through the back to their car park.

I think every Douglas councillor/ MHK/ city centre manager etc should come out of their office and walk around their constituency at least once a year.

Pavements, footpaths and bus shelters are especially neglected.

And they could set up a webpage where people can point out the 'grot spots'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

I have never understood why empty properties do not attract rates. The infrastructure is still there and has to be maintained. No excuse. 

oddly i was thinking the opposite , what infrastructure ?   i am assuming standing charges for water and electric still need to be paid unless they have been disconnected , but if no one is in the property there is no rubbish to collect, if the house is demolished the road and pavement will still go past the site anyway and any street lighting will still shine on the place and there is no sewage to deal with, why is there a cost if no services are being used??

53 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

Which ever way you cut it, there can be no doubt that the overall tidiness and cleanliness of the Island, and not specifically Douglas, has perceptibly declined.

I suppose the only real big recent investment has been the Prom (with mixed success?), and much busier areas have been left untouched since the more active years when the quayside, Strand Street and Prospect Hill were done in fairly close succession.

1 hour ago, Hairy Poppins said:

The truth is there are places better than Douglas and there are places worse than Douglas. 

One thing that is clear is that people don't seem to take any pride in Douglas like they used to. 

I think that is down to over burdensome bureaucracy, expensive rents, and a general lack of spending power in the local economy. 

I feel like people are generally just more tired and worse off than they ever used to be (although that could just be becuse they're talking with me 😂)

We were regular visitors to the Costa Brava and would visit at all times of the year and even outside the tourist season we found that the shopkeeper's butcher's hairdresser's etc took great pride in sweeping and wsahing down the pavement and facade of their property every morning and greeted customers with a smile and you were welcome to go into the shop's and browse with no obligation to purchase. Douglas' unfortunately leaves a lot to be desired on the alluring front, in fact if the staff can be bothered to get of their phones and interact if you are lucky.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cambon said:

I was at the NSC the other day and noticed the huge empty building next door. Was it a care home? Seems a huge building to be left to rot.

11 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

I suppose the only real big recent investment has been the Prom (with mixed success?), and much busier areas have been left untouched since the more active years when the quayside, Strand Street and Prospect Hill were done in fairly close succession.

It's the usual problem, just gradually getting worse.  There's always big money for 'prestige' projects that civil servants can use to make themselves feel big and justify their salaries and recruit even more underlings.  And of course award contracts to the right chums to design and carry the projects out. 

To pay for this, especially when the projects cost more than they should because they were so badly-run, ordinary maintenance is cut again and again.  But this isn't just because of self-created cost pressures - those running this actively dislike keeping things in good condition.  Partly because decay gives the excuse for more projects, but also because they see themselves as above supervising such menial tasks.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Utah 01 said:

Which ever way you cut it, there can be no doubt that the overall tidiness and cleanliness of the Island, and not specifically Douglas, has perceptibly declined.

Where's Amadeus when you want an answer...

31 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

We were regular visitors to the Costa Brava and would visit at all times of the year and even outside the tourist season we found that the shopkeeper's butcher's hairdresser's etc took great pride in sweeping and wsahing down the pavement and facade of their property every morning and greeted customers with a smile and you were welcome to go into the shop's and browse with no obligation to purchase. Douglas' unfortunately leaves a lot to be desired on the alluring front, in fact if the staff can be bothered to get of their phones and interact if you are lucky.

You'd probably find if you tried sweeping the the street the Coucil's business prevention officers would be all over it with permits and nonsense.

• Like 5