800 Billion Pounds.....

ManxTaxPayer

7 hours ago, finlo said:

Someone very knowledgeable about such things told me many years ago that with modern drilling technology those outside our territorial waters would be already drawing off this reserve!

Highly, highly unlikely. A quick Internet trawl suggests maximum lateral well lengths of around 10,000ft or 3km.

10 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Natural gas will inevitably be the last tap that’s turned off as it’s the least damaging of all the fossil fuels. 

Indeed. The govt will probably play this as being 'green' as it is the least damaging.  It will be the only green energy we ever get.

The nimbys won't allow any windmills (the same ones that don't want sewage plants in Peel and Laxey, then complain about the shit slicks), solar and tidal/waves are a non starter. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Have you seen the size of offshore windmills, and heard the noise that they produce?

This giant offshore turbine could be the future of wind energy | World  Economic Forum

Yes. I just look East!

Plus the ones all over Portugal and Spain I've stood below and the windfarm development project I was involved in Kenya (which incidentally has a shitload of sun but still uses windmills).

Any other suggestions nimby?

50 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Have you seen the size of offshore windmills, and heard the noise that they produce?

This giant offshore turbine could be the future of wind energy | World  Economic Forum

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to live underneath one. I think the Island would be too small for anything  onshore.

But a farm offshore of the north of the island (relatively shallow, sheltered from the predominant SW Storms) would probably be out best option for green energy.

There's quite a bit of research to say they are beneficial for fish populations too. Whether that's due to increased shelter or reduced fishing pressures is still uncertain.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

20 years onshore.  All dependent on regular maintenance with a 'service' every 6 months.

Probably a little less offshore 

I believe there is a major problem with getting rid of the blades as they can't be re-cycled? It's not very, 'green', is it if they only last twenty years and can't be re-cycled? Just think of the energy and pollution caused by manufacturing, building, transporting and maintaining.

• Like 1

The wind turbines of Barrow require a lot of maintenance, if you go on AIS and have look at the amount of supply/maintenance ship's there are in the area, I have counted at least 20 today so I am not so sure they are that good for the planet as everyone of them ships will have at least one diesel engine for propulsion and many will have additional engines for auxillery services etc. I think the cost of the turbines/ maintenance will offset any ecological savings and getting rid when the are unserviceable plus the mess they leave on the seabed after relocating.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to live underneath one. I think the Island would be too small for anything  onshore.

But a farm offshore of the north of the island (relatively shallow, sheltered from the predominant SW Storms) would probably be out best option for green energy.

There's quite a bit of research to say they are beneficial for fish populations too. Whether that's due to increased shelter or reduced fishing pressures is still uncertain.

One suggestion I've seen is that they are a deterrent to any whales and dolphins that may wish to go past, because of the noise and vibrations. I suppose that might encourage fish that can ignore them! Similarly, fish might benefit, because ships, and presumably fishing boats, are not allowed anywhere near them.

The latter point may be relevant if you are considering offshore north of the Island - a lot of ships pass that way, including our own, which quite often head that way round to Belfast.

I'm all for making builders put solar panels on all newbuilds.

• Like 1