IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

So what is really going on? 

Exactly. I understand that things can break down and I also understand that it's possible to be short of anesthetists but when you get two excuses for one failure it makes people suspicious and doubt that those in charge are capable or even telling fibs to cover some other issue.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Exactly. I understand that things can break down and I also understand that it's possible to be short of anesthetists but when you get two excuses for one failure it makes people suspicious and doubt that those in charge are capable or even telling fibs to cover some other issue.

More to the point, when one excuse is seemingly used to mask the real  underlying issue and I don't think covid is it. 

• Thanks 1

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/hospital-appointment-scheduling-to-change-to-reduce-dna/

Only 6 weeks notice for Out Patient clinic appointments in future, resulting in more people having to take notice any future travel plans into account. If people turn down appointments as a result then the hospital can not be blamed for adding to the waiting lists.  

I think this is another nudge to encourage private appointments as they now gradually dismantle the systems in the public domain and encourage more growth in private and charity services. 

Thats the debate yet to be had with the public though and politicians don't have the mandate for it. So it is being done with stealth and on the QT.

I wonder what Lawrie and his Lib Van pals will make of it all, and whether they will have the gumption to own up to what is really happening, going forward as they say.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Apple said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/hospital-appointment-scheduling-to-change-to-reduce-dna/

Only 6 weeks notice for Out Patient clinic appointments in future, resulting in more people having to take notice any future travel plans into account. If people turn down appointments as a result then the hospital can not be blamed for adding to the waiting lists.  

I think this is another nudge to encourage private appointments as they now gradually dismantle the systems in the public domain and encourage more growth in private and charity services. 

Thats the debate yet to be had with the public though and politicians don't have the mandate for it. So it is being done with stealth and on the QT.

I wonder what Lawrie and his Lib Van pals will make of it all, and whether they will have the gumption to own up to what is really happening, going forward as they say.

This is a wholly positive move, and one I’ve been calling for for years. 

6 weeks is the notice required for holidays. So at present, if I book leave in say January, any patients already booked for my clinics get cancelled and rebooked. We get patients turn up with multiple letters all the time - my personal record in clinic was 7, sent out on various dates alternately booking and cancelling appointments. 

It’s perfectly simple for the patient - if their appointment comes through for when they’re on holiday they phone up and reschedule for when they’re back. Far better that than multiple random changes. 

The only objection to this so far has been from the IT people who claimed ‘computer says no’. Presumably that has now been overcome. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wrighty said:

6 weeks is the notice required for holidays. So at present, if I book leave in say January, any patients already booked for my clinics get cancelled and rebooked. We get patients turn up with multiple letters all the time - my personal record in clinic was 7, sent out on various dates alternately booking and cancelling appointments. 

It’s perfectly simple for the patient - if their appointment comes through for when they’re on holiday they phone up and reschedule for when they’re back. Far better that than multiple random changes. 

The only objection to this so far has been from the IT people who claimed ‘computer says no’. Presumably that has now been overcome. 

Just wish they’d be consistent, across the board. I’ve just received a letter, today, with a non urgent annual review physiology clinic appointment for Thursday 21 October. I’m off Island. I’ll have to ring to rearrange from Spain. Physiology don’t book a year ahead. Not even a week ahead!

17 hours ago, Apple said:

what utter cynical paranoid rubbish. As @wrightyexplains, it’s a much better system.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wrighty said:

[...] It’s perfectly simple for the patient - if their appointment comes through for when they’re on holiday they phone up and reschedule for when they’re back. Far better that than multiple random changes. 

Logically it makes more sense.  The only problem is whether the system will actually 'remember' to send out the reminders at all.  Hospital admin isn't exactly famous for tits efficiency and not all patients are likely to be on top of when their next annual/n-monthly check-up is (this might also lead to them chasing up too early).

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

what utter cynical paranoid rubbish. As @wrightyexplains, it’s a much better system.

No it isn't in general and It's not the first time it has been considered.

Medical staff have to give 6 weeks notice, but that doesn't apply to all staff, yet. Some staff book their holidays well in advance, some people have to take TT off, etc. Do you seriously think this is being done for the benefit of patients?

Potentially the admin side is not geared up for it as @Roger Mexicohas indicated. 

As for my cynicism and paranoia @John Wright the strategy documents for the development of services previously  published have clearly indicated enlargement of charity and private services provision.

DA closed the PPU stating not more NHS patients (apart from Covid). Do you think those 20 beds with their numerous side rooms will ever be open for NHS patients when this is all over ?

Only if you can afford it according to DA. Let's hope Mr Hooper sees it differently.

2 minutes ago, Apple said:

No it isn't in general and It's not the first time it has been considered.

Medical staff have to give 6 weeks notice, but that doesn't apply to all staff, yet. Some staff book their holidays well in advance, some people have to take TT off, etc. Do you seriously think this is being done for the benefit of patients?

Potentially the admin side is not geared up for it as @Roger Mexicohas indicated. 

As for my cynicism and paranoia @John Wright the strategy documents for the development of services previously  published have clearly indicated enlargement of charity and private services provision.

DA closed the PPU stating not more NHS patients (apart from Covid). Do you think those 20 beds with their numerous side rooms will ever be open for NHS patients when this is all over ?

Only if you can afford it according to DA. Let's hope Mr Hooper sees it differently.

You’ve really got a bee somewhere, and have it all out of proportion. 6 weeks is much better than a year, as long as the IT system is robust enough. It works in England. 

Of course it’s for the benefit of patients. If it reduces DNA it means more will be seen.

Whats wrong with Third Sector, Charity and private involvement to deliver services free at point of delivery, where appropriate.

Why would a PPU be available for NHS patients, except in case of emergency. I’ve no issue with a PPU attached to Nobles, as long as it costs the taxpayer nothing, recovers its costs from patient’s insurers and doesn’t take staff away from treating NHS patients. The old PPU didn’t deliver that. Hopefully they’ll find a concession operator who will and pay a fee. Win Win.

Manx Care are 6 months in. They took over in an unprecedented health crisis. Nobles is a bit like a mega tanker. Takes time to change speed and course. I’m quietly impressed by the initiatives.

Frankly I’m fed up of your incoherent emotional ramblings on here, always criticism, never positive, and never offering any solutions. You’re part of the problem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, John Wright said:

You’ve really got a bee somewhere, and have it all out of proportion. 6 weeks is much better than a year, as long as the IT system is robust enough. It works in England. 

Of course it’s for the benefit of patients. If it reduces DNA it means more will be seen.

Whats wrong with Third Sector, Charity and private involvement to deliver services free at point of delivery, where appropriate.

Why would a PPU be available for NHS patients, except in case of emergency. I’ve no issue with a PPU attached to Nobles, as long as it costs the taxpayer nothing, recovers its costs from patient’s insurers and doesn’t take staff away from treating NHS patients. The old PPU didn’t deliver that. Hopefully they’ll find a concession operator who will and pay a fee. Win Win.

Manx Care are 6 months in. They took over in an unprecedented health crisis. Nobles is a bit like a mega tanker. Takes time to change speed and course. I’m quietly impressed by the initiatives.

Frankly I’m fed up of your incoherent emotional ramblings on here, always criticism, never positive, and never offering any solutions. You’re part of the problem.

But still entitled to his/her opinion.

• Like 3