IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

16 hours ago, Apple said:

The issue about car parking charges at Nobles has not gone away yet and was included in the Board papers as an option for a business case. Is it still on that table or was it just a potential lever top encourage more money for that particular case.

There is no business case. The hospital is not a business, it's existence is funded by the taxpayer. There'll be plenty of non-essential/frontline cost centres where savings could be made.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Exactly stop the abuse. Surely it can’t be that difficult to come up with a system to stop the abusers. Do they not have the moral decency to understand that they are denying a parking space to those who need one and for which they were created.

Paying for parking to have hospital treatment or visiting sick, recovering relatives or friends just seems so intuitively wrong. 

Surely we are better than that.

It's lazy public finance economics.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I received a letter today with regard to was I still  needing to be on the orthopedic waiting list , currently in my case 4 years. Must be connected to this initiative to cut waiting list. Guess over a 4 year period a few people no longer need the operation due to no longer being around. Got the form filled quickly ready to post tomorrow because would be cool to know I only have to wait 3 1/2 years. Seriously though there's many much worse than me with there osteoarthritis . I'm not pushing tbh as although my mobility is a little restricted its a small price to pay for all the years of sport.  

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

I received a letter today with regard to was I still  needing to be on the orthopedic waiting list , currently in my case 4 years. Must be connected to this initiative to cut waiting list. Guess over a 4 year period a few people no longer need the operation due to no longer being around. Got the form filled quickly ready to post tomorrow because would be cool to know I only have to wait 3 1/2 years. Seriously though there's many much worse than me with there osteoarthritis . I'm not pushing tbh as although my mobility is a little restricted its a small price to pay for all the years of sport.  

It's all getting  a bit like the old communist jokes with all the waiting lists etc 

In Soviet Russia a Man Goes to Buy a Car...

He goes up to the owner and asks for a car, to which the owner responds:

'You know there is a 10 year waiting list?'

The man then answers, 'OK,' and after some time he then agreed to buy a car.

So he pays for the car in advance, and just before he leaves he asks the owner,

'Can I pick the car up in the morning or afternoon?'

'It's 10 years away, what does it matter?'

'The plumber is coming in the morning'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 12/21/2022 at 12:11 PM, Andy Onchan said:

There is no business case. The hospital is not a business, it's existence is funded by the taxpayer. There'll be plenty of non-essential/frontline cost centres where savings could be made.  

The car parking charges were part of an option appraisal for a business case as part of the Board papers recently, not as a business case in itself. I think it was part of the Cost Improvement Plan. Some  business cases include a "shroud waving" option that looks to be politically dodgy to try and influence positive consideration of the proposal.

6 hours ago, Apple said:

The car parking charges were part of an option appraisal for a business case as part of the Board papers recently, not as a business case in itself. I think it was part of the Cost Improvement Plan. Some  business cases include a "shroud waving" option that looks to be politically dodgy to try and influence positive consideration of the proposal.

My local hospital in England introduced parking charges in the 1990s. They said it was to pay for maintenance of the car park. Charges are still being levied 30 years later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sentience said:

Just a heads-up.

I went to my local Pharmacy yesterday (In view of the recent massive increase in Covid strain numbers in China) to get a 'Just in case' box of five LFC tests.

£12.99!....be prepared!

You was robbed. £2 each by M&S checkout tills

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Apple said:

Some  business cases include a "shroud waving" option that looks to be politically dodgy to try and influence positive consideration of the proposal.

“Shroud waving” is also the standard phrase that the CS and politicians use to belittle a genuine clinical argument when found in a business case.   I’m a bit surprised by your comment @Apple, unless I’ve misinterpreted it!

4 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

“Shroud waving” is also the standard phrase that the CS and politicians use to belittle a genuine clinical argument when found in a business case.   I’m a bit surprised by your comment @Apple, unless I’ve misinterpreted it!

That may well be the case, I don't know, but my experience is not as described above being neither a CS or a politician. 😀