IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

Hooper was asked this question & said that if they had to contact 500 people every month then it would take up to much staff time which is a fair point if they’re calling them but maybe a text to them asking for reasons & giving 3/4 possible reasons 

Makes it sound like the government is short staffed!

• Haha 2

As noted, there has been a rather uninformative release  on a Friday pm about the cessation of Breast Screening.

We may be reading more into the brief announcement than there is.

It may be down to the process of making a statement rather than its content.

ie  not having someone with sufficient  knowledge  who can make an informed statement  around, so it fell to someone who has none, deciding to say nothing rather than something.

In which case, it is predictable  that something more expansive will appear after the week-end.

6 minutes ago, littlebushy said:

I guess all the managers were too busy celebrating at the Manx Care awards ceremony last night.

As you say very unfortunate timing. They were all getting pissed at a back slapping do at the Empress the night before a press release goes out advising that breast screening was being withdrawn. 

Edited by offshoremanxman
  • Like 2

A relative of mine visited her GP with pain in breast a couple of weeks ago he referred her to the breast clinic and she got an appointment within 10 days.   Attended clinic saw consultant had mammogram and ultra sound saw consultant who confirmed their first was nothing amiss and she went home very relieved and grateful for the efficient service and kindness shown.    This took two hours in total. So if you have an issue the excellent service is still there.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Banker said:

Hooper was asked this question & said that if they had to contact 500 people every month then it would take up to much staff time which is a fair point if they’re calling them but maybe a text to them asking for reasons & giving 3/4 possible reasons 

I do not think that is the way surveys are done. A representative sample of the total set is taken, and they are asked the questions. The result is then assumed to be valid for the total set (or something along those lines).

What seems to be the case is that Manx Care says "There is a problem, but we have no idea what it is".

That sounds familiar. Now where is that image of the front page of the local newspaper, with a photo of Ann Reynolds and the headline "I haven't got a clue".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

More to the point, why they didn't attend.  That is the only way the problem will be addressed.  There could be numerous reasons some of which could be sorted with tweaks in the processes.  There will, however, always be a hard core of people who, for whatever reason ranging from CBA to not capable, will not turn up. 

I took a friend for an appointment a couple of weeks ago and while waiting a gentleman came rushing in and apologised for being a few minutes late but as he explained he had only just received the appointment letter which was typed up 12 days prior. If his post hadn't arrived that lunchtime he would have been classed as a DNA.  - That may be one reason for non attendances.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Zulu said:

I took a friend for an appointment a couple of weeks ago and while waiting a gentleman came rushing in and apologised for being a few minutes late but as he explained he had only just received the appointment letter which was typed up 12 days prior. If his post hadn't arrived that lunchtime he would have been classed as a DNA.  - That may be one reason for non attendances.

This. And lots of it. Happened to me.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hampsterkahn said:

As noted, there has been a rather uninformative release  on a Friday pm about the cessation of Breast Screening.

We may be reading more into the brief announcement than there is.

It may be down to the process of making a statement rather than its content.

ie  not having someone with sufficient  knowledge  who can make an informed statement  around, so it fell to someone who has none, deciding to say nothing rather than something.

In which case, it is predictable  that something more expansive will appear after the week-end.

As I posted initially - big lack of basic journalism skills to interrogate this release. But pretty typical - and good for Manx Care who will slide past without scrutiny on this.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Zulu said:

And, to state the bleeding obvious, why are appointments made by mail. Phone people - get immediate yes or no as to whether they can attend. No shows (with no phone to cancel) go to the back of the queue. Relying on mail is so last century.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Cinderella said:

And, to state the bleeding obvious, why are appointments made by mail. Phone people - get immediate yes or no as to whether they can attend. No shows (with no phone to cancel) go to the back of the queue. Relying on mail is so last century.

Maybe relying on mail is so last century to you, but there are people who for one reason or another cannot use a phone, sorry but you cannot use sign language over a phone!! Also lots of elderly people still prefer to see things in writing!

• Like 3