IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

1 hour ago, cissolt said:

Add in the Abbotswood debacle and it shows either gross incompetence or corruption at the highest levels of gov.  AG, chief sec, Ashford, Alf and Howard all involved

Whichever way you look at it I think the words are, "institutionally corrupt".

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Roxanne said:

The same man who, instead of having the skills and fortitude to see his own part in this, dug his heels in, escalated, deflected, defended, lied, covered his tracks until the whole of government and the AG became involved resulting in a massive payout that, as you say, could have been used for the good of the Island rather than a massive, bungling, cover up operation that has left us covered in shame.

Whilst undoubtedly also being led and encouraged in all of the above by complicit civil servants. These are the real villains, Ashford simply allowed his vanity to blind him to what was going on, not that it is any excuse.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Roxanne said:

"So, 3.2 million pounds down, which should reflect that in Dr Ranson's initial legal letter to Minister Ashford, at the time, in which she simply asked for her job back".

David Ashford eh?

What a guy.

So if Ashford had agreed to this request, this would all have gone away?   And as Minister, it was within his power?

OK: if there’s some reason why he can’t be immediately sacked, all the IOM taxpayers should demand our £3.2 million back from him - out of his salary on a monthly basis, out of his pension, send the bailiffs in, etc.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Roxanne said:

Whatever did we do before FOI was finally accepted.

For all the talk before of 'unless time wasting questions', without it being brought into play we would be left a lot further in the dark than we are now.

I should have gone to specsavers.🤓

Edited by Holte End
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, joebean said:

This whole episode reflects very badly on the competence and, worse than that, the integrity of senior officials and politicians in the IOM Government. Very importantly, it also reflects very badly on the lack of proper oversight or scrutiny of government conduct and performance and raises real questions about the fitness of government to govern. All this is regardless of the merits of Dr Ranson’s case or the award given by the tribunal. What matters most is the conduct of officials and politicians before, during and, I suspect after the event. Up to now it has been abysmal. The electorate is largely disinterested, perhaps it is time for somebody else to hold them to account. Lack of competence is one thing; lack of integrity is on a higher and more damaging level. The proof is there to see. 

This whole episode reflects badly from the top to the bottom. The top eschelons, the big wigs, the politicos and the government cheerleaders will not be affected, no matter what - after all it’s only taxpayers cash, and we don’t count. The big knob civil servants, the Chief Executives the big noises, the bottom and trough feeders will not be affected as they have good salaries irrespective, they can afford to ride out any financial hardship. Also these people will never be disciplined or dismissed even for incompetence. Meanwhile, the poor, the sick, the middle classes,the just about managing and the working classes will have to clear up the shit left by CM Cannan useless ineptitude and incompetent administration. As a result of this tribunal, in turn was widely publicised in the UK, and by the BMA, reputational damage was done. At a time when waiting lists are excessive, treatment both at GPs and Nobles Hospital is either patchy or poor, the island is struggling to get decent medical professionals to come here. It’s the poor, sick and lower end of society who need medical help just as much as the wealthy. The wealthy can use private medical insurance and get on the plane. The same applies to our politicos. I bet CM Cannan gets preferential treatment for any aches or ailments. No doubt Tynpotwald has a Nurse to administer medical assistance, and the Lord Bishop will no doubt pray for him. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 7

Just now, asitis said:

For the first time in many years, I get the impression public opinion is more in line with us sceptics on the forum, than at any other time. Speaks volumes for how our administrators are performing.

I'm really surprised to hear that - pleasantly surprised at that. MF is my only benchmark for public feeling and I don't rely on it too heavily - for obvious reasons.

I must admit, I imagine social media would still be populated by the people who think David is a lovely boy and that he single handedly saved us from Covid.

So, is the tide turning then? Truly?

1 hour ago, Jarndyce said:

And as Minister, it was within his power?

It would have been in his power, yes, but by the time he'd allowed himself to become embroiled in the shit stirring nonsense behind the scenes he made it impossible for himself to act in the best interests of the people who he was elected to serve.. He really is his own worst enemy but, conversely, is also very good at playing the victim when his own behaviour gets him into trouble.

Anyway - good luck getting your money back,

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, asitis said:

For the first time in many years, I get the impression public opinion is more in line with us sceptics on the forum, than at any other time. Speaks volumes for how our administrators are performing.

Yes totally agree. Theres a real anger and amazement shown by so many who would normally be a bit apathetic about this sort of thing . Will it come to anything mmmmm not sure. Depends whats happening in the corridors of power surrounding Cannan. .  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, hampsterkahn said:

Apart from the cost of the  settlement, there is another  very high hidden cost to the Island which is impossible  to put an figure on, but  real and damaging: 

There was extensive coverage in various medical publications about this case last year. These were  not “sensationalist” journalism  they were extensive, fair and factual.

They did not make very good reading.

Despite problems elsewhere in the NHS, reading such articles would be enough to make any medical professional at the very least  hesitate before applying for a job here.Many I suspect would just turn the page.

Following the settlement, it is easy to predict that in the next few days there will  be further articles, especially in the BMJ, as the BMA supported Dr Ranson and will broadcast it.

How can that reputational damage be repaired ?

By stringing up Ashford and his ilk by the bollocks from one of DBC's faulty lamp posts!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

So, is the tide turning then? Truly?

Time will tell, it has always been my opinion that Government here have been slow to catch up with the intrusive power of social media, and are still governing as though it is behind closed curtains !

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Yes totally agree. Theres a real anger and amazement shown by so many who would normally be a bit apathetic about this sort of thing . Will it come to anything mmmmm not sure. Depends whats happening in the corridors of power surrounding Cannan. .  

Is Cannan going to make a statement about this whole shit storm?