IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

34 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

So government costs were £900k to lose a case for £3.2m and RR costs were £36k? Or to put it another way RR's lawyer was 28 times more cost effective. No doubt all down to someone in the government trying desperately to 'win' to cover up the mess that caused the situation in the first place.

You've got this wrong.  The £31,500 which I quoted from the FoI were the "costs of legal services for representation of Dr Ranson (regarding Appeals) payable by DHSC pursuant to Order of the Court".  In other words they only relate to her legal representation at the two short appeal hearings the DHSC wanted and which were dismissed by the Deemster.  The Deemster required that the DHSC paid Ranson's costs at the time of the hearings.

The total £676,184.51 is for all DHSC legal costs of which the appeals will only be a small part, most of it will be relating to the various Tribunal hearings, especially when they were represented by QC/KCs.  This appears to be only the bills for external representation (and there may still be more to come in from more recent hearings), there will be large additional internal costs from the AGs Office as well as non-legal costs (Expol?) and of course the costs of the Tribunal itself, which will be very high.

Plus of course a substantial percentage of Ranson's costs - 70% of those associated with the original Tribunal.  Though, as usual with employment cases she will still have to pay a good deal out of her own pocket, not just the 30% (which may be covered in part by the BMA) but also all the legal costs in the run up and for the remedy hearings this year.

32 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

I have it on good authority that Alf is to resign in the coming weeks.

If true I so hope its the start of a total change in mentality and practices. And the opportunity is taken to restructure the mess thats the CS.  Take brave people but have we got any?. Most are already entrenched in the system….fingers crossed this could be a important time in Manx politics .

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Numbnuts said:

If true I so hope its the start of a total change in mentality and practices. And the opportunity is taken to restructure the mess thats the CS.  Take brave people but have we got any?. Most are already entrenched in the system….fingers crossed this could be a important time in Manx politics .

The question is: who would you propose replaces him, really? JPW?

2 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

The question is: who would you propose replaces him, really? JPW?

Thats a really good question but my answer would differ depending how far they went with CS restructuring. Not holding my breath on that despite it desperately being needed . 

7 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Alf promised this, both at the beginning of his reign and when the first results emanated from the Ranson business. Black and then Greenhow both got the heave-ho in fairly short order. Since then it has all gone very quiet, was he neutered?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Thats a really good question but my answer would differ depending how far they went with CS restructuring. Not holding my breath on that despite it desperately being needed . 

But again: how far do we go? One review after another in to different sections?

I think an AG's restructure needs to happen and yes, we all know the CS needs restructuring.

Just now, NoTailT said:

But again: how far do we go? One review after another in to different sections?

I think an AG's restructure needs to happen and yes, we all know the CS needs restructuring.

Agree with the AG restructuring , badly needed , but how far we go is limited to how far the old clique is broken up. We need to arrive at a point when the majority of the public at least know they are being looked after as best as possible and who you are doesn't open so many doors. The really annoying thing for me has been the total lack of input from so many MHK’s etc under recent governments. Cannan has been particularly suppressive it seems .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoTailT said:

I have it on good authority that Alf is to resign in the coming weeks.

I hope he does'nt (at the risk of unleashing a Manxforums lynch mob), and I do not see this as a resigning matter for CM.

He has some culpability for the response of this (and particularly the final outlay), but he was not implicated in the actual bullying or whistleblowing saga himself, and has shown he is not afraid to 'clear house' in the past. He has clearly identified the role of chief secretary and the performance management of the chief execs as an issue too.

He has also started to draw in the purse strings, even if it hasn't (thus far) affected CS numbers.

if you contrast the above to how a Howard Quayle or a Tony Brown administration would act, it's definitely an improvement.

• Like 2

Alf's head shouldn't be on the block for this. He needs to stay and lead the change. There's real opportunity for him now to step up and lead from the front. Plenty would back him. The whole of Tynwald should act en bloc behind him and show who they really serve. No one should abstain. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Banker said:

Alf is making a statement on Ranson case to Keys on Tuesday at 10am

I don't know what the rules of Tynwald and government are, but could Alf do the pseudo-honourable thing and put his future in the hands of the members?  In other words, trigger in effect a vote of confidence and thereby hope to strengthen his position?

3 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

I don’t agree with Ashy on a lot and I’m not supporting that statement at all after what happened with Magson. But the reality is they have to offer the hybrid working otherwise they’d have nobody to fill the role. That’s the reality. We have a whole tourist industry looking to bring people here, and locate.im literally bribing people to come across with NI reductions and relocation expenses. But the reality is that we can’t even pay someone £100K+ a year with a gold plated pension to actually come here and work for our own government because it’s reputation absolutely stinks.

Sorry. Have to disagree. As a CEO they should be expected to lead from the front. If that means paying the going rate then so be it.

The silent department in all of this is Treasury. Cost of everything vs value = zero.

• Like 2