IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

It was reported by the NPM that the islands nursing staff, primarily with the RCN have voted to strike. They turned down a pay offer and a £1000 offer from Manx Care. I would say that for the nurses not to carry out their strike threat, would require a decent offer, or a humiliating uturn from Minister Hooperman, I certainly can’t see either. 

Just now, Harry Lamb said:

Nurses have voted to strike, it appears.

Coupled with the negative publicity fallout from the Ranson Tribunal and IOMG provocations with the BMA, it’s likely it won’t be confined to just nurses. Junior Doctors and other Doctors via the BMA. What a mess!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Coupled with the negative publicity fallout from the Ranson Tribunal and IOMG provocations with the BMA, it’s likely it won’t be confined to just nurses. Junior Doctors and other Doctors via the BMA. What a mess!

As  far as I know  senior doctors at the hospital had a vote and  accepted a below inflation  pay rise  offer from Manx care. At least that's what I understood from a mate of mine. 

Not sure about junior doctors and whether their pay negotiations are different..

Wrighty can probably confirm this. 

Edited by mad_manx

1 hour ago, forestboy said:

Just a 46% turnout!!

So more than in 5 constituencies in the last Keys election, then, and much more than most LA elections. The real concern is the level of dissatisfaction in a vital sector with a staffing crisis and the failure of our elected representatives to manage it properly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mad_manx said:

As  far as I know  senior doctors at the hospital had a vote and  accepted a below inflation  pay rise  offer from Manx care. At least that's what I understood from a mate of mine. 

Not sure about junior doctors and whether their pay negotiations are different..

Wrighty can probably confirm this. 

Substantive doctors (consultants and SAS) have accepted a 6% plus £1000 for 2022-23 - I expect we’ll get the owed back pay end of July. Now to start the 2023-24 negotiations. 

Junior doctors here - not sure. They’re treated differently to the English doctors who are striking, and ours here haven’t so far. I don’t know if they’ve accepted an offer, or if they haven’t been balloted etc. 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2023 at 3:18 PM, Roger Mexico said:

Meanwhile the latest tribunal decision has been published:

https://www.judgments.im/content/ET 21-20 Dr Rosalind Ranson V Department of Health and Social Care (Order).pdf

as discussed previously it was a bit of a ragbag in what it covered.  From the various odds and ends considered (in order of appearance):

• The parties had worked constructively and had agreed the precise sum to be paid to Dr Ranson and in fact £2,597.653.41 has now been paid to her to satisfy the 2nd May Decision. This is the award net of tax. The gross award had attracted headline figures of an award of about £3.2 million.
  • The Clerk of Tynwald (Dr King) had asked for access to all documentation for their latest Inquiry.  Both sides are happy to release it to them, irrespective of what happens with any further litigation, but please take the lot as "The alternative task of filtering the documents may have become contentious".  Quite
  • Ranson's husband (Dr Falkowski[1]) is (probably) entitled to be paid for the work he did for her[2] before the BMA took over the case, especially for work since a formal agreement was signed in October 2021.  But all the relevant paperwork needs to be sorted out.
  • The second complaint was only ever intended to be a back-up and if the Ranson side want to continue with it they'll have to come up with some really good reasons.
  • Please go away and sort it out between yourselves.  Which is what should have been done in the first place.

I'd like to hope this is the end of it (though probably not as much as Douglas Stewart does) but the ability of senior civil servants to drag things out out of spite shouldn't be underestimated.  But even they must have realised that the more this goes on, the more annoyed the legal system will get.

[1]  One of the oddities of this case is how many of those involved have been musicians.  Magson was a music graduate and organ scholar; Falkowski started as a professional orchestra violinist; King started as a musicologist and Ranson also plays.  None of this seems to resulted in much harmony.

[2]  Or at least the 70% that the taxpayer is having to stump up due to nearly everyone on the government side behaving badly.

The recurrent theme of the fiddle is indeed, fascinating

57 minutes ago, Moddey Dhoo said:

The recurrent theme of the fiddle is indeed, fascinating

I’m surprised there isn’t a Manx Care Choir and Chamber Ensemble providing the accompanying music. It wouldn’t matter, money is spent on the arts and other important things, except frontline services. 

5 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I’m surprised there isn’t a Manx Care Choir and Chamber Ensemble providing the accompanying music. It wouldn’t matter, money is spent on the arts and other important things, except frontline services. 

Yeah we could have them singing "Nothing Else Matters"(metalica) when any discussion comes up about CS pensions. 

• Haha 2