IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

2 hours ago, Two-lane said:

Well, it was deleted and now it isn't...

I am confused about this. Either he is getting a second salary from a hospital in Liverpool, or they are getting his services free of charge. Or maybe there is another explanation.

[I rarely listen to the audio clips, but did hear this one. Hooper is exceptional snotty.]

That's the crux of the matter - who is paying? If it's Manx Care then it is beholden of the MC CEO to explain why north of 200k is being spent in this manner. The sorry story of MD's on the IOM continues ........

5 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

Yebbut why did they accept the Michael Report, separate out DHSC from Manx Care and start a transformation project if they didn’t have the cash to back it up?   Or any intention of finding it?

An interesting question might be how much have JM and Robin O'Connor personally made  out of this process

• Like 1

Hooper complaint report to be published as reported by Julie Edge

CHIEF MINISTER - U-TURN
I'm pleased my persistence in questioning this report for greater transparency at HOK yesterday has paid off. It's good news that the report will now be released despite initial resistance from the Chief Minister. Here's hoping there are minimal redactions.
NEWS RELEASE
13 March 2024
Report into complaint under Government Code to be published
The Chief Minister will publish the report of an independent investigation he commissioned into complaints made under the Government Code against the Minister for Health and Social Care Lawrie Hooper MHK and Department Member Tanya August-Hanson MLC.
The complaints relate to interactions that took place between the Minister and the Health Services Consultative Committee.
The report will be published in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act and personal data that has been provided by witnesses will be redacted to protect their privacy.

18 hours ago, Moddey Dhoo said:

That's the crux of the matter - who is paying? If it's Manx Care then it is beholden of the MC CEO to explain why north of 200k is being spent in this manner. The sorry story of MD's on the IOM continues ........

I still cannot understand why Manxcare needs two people for the same job.

Can't the person who is in post here cover what Dr Andhol is doing  for manxcare  at the moment ? 

1 hour ago, mad_manx said:

I still cannot understand why Manxcare needs two people for the same job.

Can't the person who is in post here cover what Dr Andhol is doing  for manxcare  at the moment ?

Are you sure Manx Care actually have two people doing the same job?   The Interim Medical Director ( Dr Hudson?) IS covering the Manx Care job.    Not sure what you mean…

1 hour ago, Jarndyce said:

Are you sure Manx Care actually have two people doing the same job?   The Interim Medical Director ( Dr Hudson?) IS covering the Manx Care job.    Not sure what you mean…

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/medical-director-being-paid-by-manx-care-while-working-in-liverpool/

So why do we have an interim medical director and a medical director at the same time ?  Both seem to be getting paid !!!

Edited by mad_manx

1 hour ago, mad_manx said:

So why do we have an interim medical director and a medical director at the same time ?  Both seem to be getting paid !!!

Sorry - I misunderstood that you were actually asking about money.

Clearly, the interim is covering what Dr Andole did for Manx Care.   Dr Andole isn’t doing it because he isn’t here.   So the fundamental question is: are Manx Care paying Dr Andole to work in the UK; and, if so, why?

3 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Sorry - I misunderstood that you were actually asking about money.

Clearly, the interim is covering what Dr Andole did for Manx Care.   Dr Andole isn’t doing it because he isn’t here.   So the fundamental question is: are Manx Care paying Dr Andole to work in the UK; and, if so, why?

And if so, are they recovering the cost from the NHS Trust?

Hooper's reply to Julie Edge came across as intentionally obfuscatory.  He really doesn't score well on transparent presentation.  But, there again, his predecessors were equally opaque.  Is it due to the quality of the CS in DHSC briefing him? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

Hooper's reply to Julie Edge came across as intentionally obfuscatory.  He really doesn't score well on transparent presentation.  But, there again, his predecessors were equally opaque.  Is it due to the quality of the CS in DHSC briefing him? 

Haven't we just been through a very expensive employment tribunal and an expensive report saying just that?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Well yes, but we found out from what happened to Callister if a Minister tries to actually find out what is happening at DHSC.  And from happened to the HSCC when they dared to make even the most constructive criticisms. 

And that's with giving them the benefit of the doubt and assuming that the main moves in the Ranson affair were all got rid of.  Even though the subsequent legal shenanigans happened after the clear out.

Alf seemed to defend the remaining CS staff just last week? So, presumably he regards the few who have gone to be all the bad apples!

Actually, Cannan and Hooper seem to be rather arrogant and aloof and maybe Alf may see it as a good characteristic???

I think Hooper is a bit inhibited//shy and if his CS are bullying him, maybe he does the same to others for his own ego???

Dunno!

16 minutes ago, Gladys said:

And if so, are they recovering the cost from the NHS Trust?

I worked as a manager in the NHS for 25 years.  Secondments at senior management level are commonplace.  What  invariably happens is that the employing trust simply bills the trust where the employee is seconded to on a monthly or quarterly basis.  Full costs.

The only reason not to do so - or only do a partial recharge - would be if the employing trust was receiving some benefit from the secondment.

If Manx Care aren't gaining any benefit from this arrangement and aren't billing the trust in Liverpool they are missing a trick.

(Wasn't Magson employed on a similar basis?  I understood she wasn't employed by DHSC or Manx Care but continued to be employed by her PCT or clinical commissioning group in the UK, and that they recharged DHSC/Manx Care)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Chief Minister explained on MR why he initially did not make the report public. Apparently there were statements from a lot of people who for privacy reasons or data protection could not be named in the report so their names had been deleted and the CM said it would be very difficult to get a clear picture with so many deletions.     The people who had made statements were obviously still employed at Nobles and were probably promised anonymity.    I think I have got this right but this is the gist of it as I understood it.