IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

5 minutes ago, littlebushy said:

An additional £3.4 million allocated from treasury to Manx Care.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/manx-care-awarded-3-4m-to-transform-childrens-mental-health-services/

It must be getting easier to stay within budget, if Manx Care repeatedly get allocated additional funding?

Isn't that what they, in whatever guise, have been saying for years?  Fund healthcare properly and it will stay within budget. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, littlebushy said:

An additional £3.4 million allocated from treasury to Manx Care.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/manx-care-awarded-3-4m-to-transform-childrens-mental-health-services/

It must be getting easier to stay within budget, if Manx Care repeatedly get allocated additional funding?

Has anyone kept a tally of how much extra they have received on top of their budget?  It must be nearing £60 million. 

The mental health service is severely underfunded, I don't see how this new model is going to improve the current case load.  No mention of increasing resources, just moving people between waiting lists

47 minutes ago, cissolt said:

The mental health service is severely underfunded, I don't see how this new model is going to improve the current case load.  No mention of increasing resources, just moving people between waiting lists

the so called crisis team is in crisis 

• 3 weeks later...

At the risk of being shouted down at, especially when a matter concerns emergency assistance and transport to the UK, I see that Manx Care are banging the drums for a more permanent air ambulance service. The idea is great but when it’s costed at over £8.5 million and Manx Care can’t keep to budget, I don’t think the idea would work. 

Manx Care says it hopes a lifesaving Helicopter Emergency Medical Service will be funded by charitable donations from the public in the future.

The health body currently pays for the lifesaving ‘airbridge’ – operated by the Great North Air Ambulance Service – which was launched in April 2022.

It sees medical experts bring pre-hospital care to the scene of serious incidents to help severely injured or ill people.

They can then be transported, via helicopter, to hospitals in the United Kingdom. 

GNAAS has been called on once already over TT week following a road traffic collision near Corrany.

It took the doctor-led team 32 minutes to fly to the scene; once there they were able to work on treating the patient alongside the Isle of Man Ambulance Service. 

GNAAS responded to emergencies across the United Kingdom 2,216 times in 2023/2024.

The service costs £28,000 a day to run and £8.5 million annually. 

Manx Care says it hopes the public will ‘buy into’ the idea of having the service and support the Great North Air Ambulance through charitable donations although admits there is ‘no rush’ for that to happen.

Gordon Ingram is a critical care paramedic, and head of operations, for the charity and Oliver Radford is the executive director of health services for Manx Care

I presume that those figures relate to the whole of the service, not just the Manx element?

It has become an essential part of our health service and so some contribution would not be unusual?

Every little helps.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Kopek said:

I presume that those figures relate to the whole of the service, not just the Manx element?

It has become an essential part of our health service and so some contribution would not be unusual?

Every little helps.

Are Manx Care wanting a helicopter based here? Yes it has become part of the health service, and I don’t mind contributing, the same as the hospice. 

However, the needs and wants of Manx Care are never ending and islanders are suffering due to management ineptitude. Eventually the tax rise imposed this year, will rise next year, and the year after. 

13 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Are Manx Care wanting a helicopter based here? Yes it has become part of the health service, and I don’t mind contributing, the same as the hospice. 

An enhanced air-bridge service was one of the recommendations of the Michaels report.  Yes, health care is getting more and more expensive year on year.  It has done since the NHS began, and will continue to do so.  I don't think we want a helicopter based here - much of the time it would be sitting here doing nothing, and when called out it would have to go across then fly back.  Better to be uk based, and if required fly in and then out.  Same airmiles, and can be more useful being used in UK domestic emergencies as well as coming here.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Government wants public to 'buy into' lifesaving medical service

So we are now being asked to pay thrice for services. Once through taxes and NI, once through Allinsons temporary ring fenced levy and now through donations.

The whole point of this service is it gives immediate on site emergency care from experts and it can afford to do this because it has a large catchment area and depth of medical resources that justifies it's use and upkeep. We are lucky to have been included in its range for what it costs.

Having a helicopter based in the Isle of Man is nonsense on several grounds.

• Having a suitable base for 24hr call out with attendant crew, re-fuelling and maintenance facilities.
  • Not having the qualified emergency staff to sit on 24hr callout for the type of extreme trauma and illness this service is clearly designed for.
  • Would it only be used for isalnd emergencies? Thus largely unused while sucking up money & resources that could be better used on regular emergency provision (i.e. proper staffing to keep A&E open) to benefit the majority rather then the few.
  • If it was shared with other areas in the UK, would we find the service we are paying a premium for is unavailable due to attendance at an existing emergency? 
  • If it was shared, how would we recoup the costs?
  • What happens when the helicopter is out of action for servicing/repairs, would we have to hire in a spare or also be contributing to the UK service for cover too?

This smacks of the upper echelons avoiding the real work of getting the service they have right because it is too messy and too hard.

If they sorted that out, then maybe we could afford the cost of the UK service within the budget and not have to put out the begging bowl.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

The way I look at it is Nobles will be more like a GP service and we get rid of the need for operations on site. Planned ops shipped to off island hospitals, Accident/Emergency's helicoptered to where ever in England thus savings all round, no need for expensive slice n dice personal no need for theatres with there expensive staff. Just out source it all, look at the savings we have made where's me bonus. Great for a year or two then watch it collapse like a house of cards, and the upper echelon slope off with wads of cash and obscenely fat pensions. Just my thoughts on the situation, no guarantee thats the way its going to go. But who would like to bet against me.   

Edited by Dirty Buggane

37 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

So we are now being asked to pay thrice for services. Once through taxes and NI, once through Allinsons temporary ring fenced levy and now through donations.

The whole point of this service is it gives immediate on site emergency care from experts and it can afford to do this because it has a large catchment area and depth of medical resources that justifies it's use and upkeep. We are lucky to have been included in its range for what it costs.

• Having a suitable base for 24hr call out with attendant crew, re-fuelling and maintenance facilities.
  • Not having the qualified emergency staff to sit on 24hr callout for the type of extreme trauma and illness this service is clearly designed for.
  • Would it only be used for isalnd emergencies? Thus largely unused while sucking up money & resources that could be better used on regular emergency provision (i.e. proper staffing to keep A&E open) to benefit the majority rather then the few.
  • If it was shared with other areas in the UK, would we find the service we are paying a premium for is unavailable due to attendance at an existing emergency? 
  • What happens when the helicopter is out of action for servicing/repairs, would we have to hire in a spare or also be contributing to the UK service for cover too?

This smacks of the upper echelons avoiding the real work of getting the service they have right because it is too messy and too hard.

If they sorted that out, then maybe we could afford the cost of the UK service within the budget and not have to put out the begging bowl.

I think your summary is well put. Sadly the original article on the NPM is so confusing and you are left scratching your head. Perhaps this press release was put out in the knowledge that it’s TT week and there is little news, coupled with the fact the news can be buried, or there is very little scrutiny? 

1 hour ago, Dirty Buggane said:

The way I look at it is Nobles will be more like a GP service and we get rid of the need for operations on site. Planned ops shipped to off island hospitals, Accident/Emergency's helicoptered to where ever in England thus savings all round, no need for expensive slice n dice personal no need for theatres with there expensive staff. Just out source it all, look at the savings we have made where's me bonus. Great for a year or two then watch it collapse like a house of cards, and the upper echelon slope off with wads of cash and obscenely fat pensions. Just my thoughts on the situation, no guarantee thats the way its going to go. But who would like to bet against me

No ops at all?  No ED at all?   Plus the expense of getting patients off-island quickly enough in an emergency situation, the difficulty in finding beds for routine elective surgery in the current UK NHS - plus the recharge for tertiary care?   “Courageous” decisions for any minister.

Nobles may not be all that we might wish for - but I’ll bet against your scenario any day of the week…

• Like 4

3 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

Just been covered above by Wrighty!