IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

3 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

The way I look at it is Nobles will be more like a GP service and we get rid of the need for operations on site. Planned ops shipped to off island hospitals, Accident/Emergency's helicoptered to where ever in England thus savings all round, no need for expensive slice n dice personal no need for theatres with there expensive staff. Just out source it all, look at the savings we have made where's me bonus. Great for a year or two then watch it collapse like a house of cards, and the upper echelon slope off with wads of cash and obscenely fat pensions. Just my thoughts on the situation, no guarantee thats the way its going to go. But who would like to bet against me.   

Way off.

I could just about accept your thesis regarding planned care, but, as one example amongst many, what about hip fractures? Accepted standards are to operate on almost all of them within 36 hours - we achieve that over 90% of the time, with our median being 18 hours.  We get about 120 per year, and this seems to be increasing year on year.  If we don't do even that locally we may as well close the hospital and not provide a health service at all.  And if you have surgeons capable of replacing broken hips, and theatres in which to do them, surely it makes sense, financially as well as for convenience, job satisfaction etc, for those surgeons to do similar procedures electively for patients with arthritis.

Similar arguments can be made for other things - if we need a surgeon to deal with your strangulated hernia as an emergency, why not do some elective ones as well.

We should do the simpler, commoner procedures here, and send over the rare and/or complex.  I don't think anyone disagrees with that.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, 2112 said:

Are Manx Care wanting a helicopter based here? Yes it has become part of the health service, and I don’t mind contributing, the same as the hospice. 

However, the needs and wants of Manx Care are never ending and islanders are suffering due to management ineptitude. Eventually the tax rise imposed this year, will rise next year, and the year after. 

I hope we also contribute to  Macmilian.  They are often the option for end of life care at home,  especially when Hospice cannot meet the needs of this.

• Like 3

What could another 50 mil a year to Man Care do to give us Gold standard? Ok, 1k extra tax but we get the service we want.

Ah! forgot the tax bit, so we'll just trundle along as now!!!

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Getting worse in UK, relative waited 23 hours last week in A&E to be seen after collapsing at home. People complain about a few hours over here.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/nobles-hospital-hasnt-experienced-overcrowding-issues/

A UK A&E consultant was here a few weeks ago. He told us that if he turns up and finds fewer than 40 patients are in the department having been there all night he considers it a quiet start to the day. 70 is not unusual. 

So you’re right, it’s all relative, and the UK NHS seems far worse off than ours. 

10 hours ago, Banker said:

Getting worse in UK, relative waited 23 hours last week in A&E to be seen after collapsing at home. People complain about a few hours over here.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/nobles-hospital-hasnt-experienced-overcrowding-issues/

Like the UK the island throws money at the problem, hoping it goes away. Sadly the money injected is used inefficiently and in some cases squandered. 

3 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

Evidence?   Examples?   Should be easy…

We could start with the endless reviews.....WMQRS anyone? And how much has been wasted on the Jonathan Michaels debacle who would know....... And then there are the payouts to get rid of people, must be getting up to nearly 4 million on medical directors alone (deposit on a shiny new helicopter wasted there)

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Moddey Dhoo said:

We could start with the endless reviews

Agreed 100%, including the Michael review.   And they don’t let any changes “bed in” properly, before starting the next review - the staff have had whiplash every three or four years, for about 20 years now.

Edited by Jarndyce
Clarity

6 minutes ago, Moddey Dhoo said:

We could start with the endless reviews.....WMQRS anyone? And how much has been wasted on the Jonathan Michaels debacle who would know....... And then there are the payouts to get rid of people, must be getting up to nearly 4 million on medical directors alone (deposit on a shiny new helicopter wasted there)

Where are they asking for a helicopter?  Thought they just to encourage the public to make donations to the existing service.

2 hours ago, Moddey Dhoo said:

Another one bites the dust. The good Doctor Andole is offski. Be interesting to know if he took a chunk of taxpayers change with him......

Who? What does he do & why’s he leaving? 

3 hours ago, Moddey Dhoo said:

Another one bites the dust. The good Doctor Andole is offski. Be interesting to know if he took a chunk of taxpayers change with him......

Wasn't he supposed to working  somewhere else ?  Has he left ? 

Didn't see anything in the news .