IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

2 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Wrighty, did you feel like your advice wasn't being followed or passed on to ministers? 

I cant imagine the stress you and your colleagues must have gone through during the pandemic.

You hit on an often overlooked issue with Henrietta, she decided to go ahead with her leave knowing that we were in the verge of a major crisis.  I hope this wasn't a factor when considering border closures.

At the start it was the opposite - I felt there was too much reliance put on the medical committee. Personally, I was the numbers droid, and I thought there was over-reliance on the modelling, as though I was some sort of fortune teller, being asked stuff like “how many patients will be on ITU at day 35”. The group were also asked to opine on things such as window-cleaners being allowed back to work. We were however frustrated by the comms and command structure. Gold/Silver/Bronze etc - I once quipped that our group was “plywood command”. 

As far as I am aware, Henrietta’s holiday was not considered regarding border closures. I also don’t begrudge her going on holiday - it was such a fast moving situation. I was in Northern Italy myself in mid February, just a week before it kicked off over there. Even at that point nobody really knew what was coming. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, wrighty said:

At the start it was the opposite - I felt there was too much reliance put on the medical committee. Personally, I was the numbers droid, and I thought there was over-reliance on the modelling, as though I was some sort of fortune teller, being asked stuff like “how many patients will be on ITU at day 35”. The group were also asked to opine on things such as window-cleaners being allowed back to work. We were however frustrated by the comms and command structure. Gold/Silver/Bronze etc - I once quipped that our group was “plywood command”. 

As far as I am aware, Henrietta’s holiday was not considered regarding border closures. I also don’t begrudge her going on holiday - it was such a fast moving situation. I was in Northern Italy myself in mid February, just a week before it kicked off over there. Even at that point nobody really knew what was coming. 

Thanks wrighty, I know it doesn't mean much from a random person on the internet.  But thank you for all you have done during the pandemic especially in such difficult circumstances.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wrighty said:

The whole response was over the top from the beginning. But this is about the toxic environment that exists within Manx Care and DHSC. 

If Alf follows through on his promise to put independent board persons in every department to give impartial advice to Department Ministers then things may well get better.

Having said that..............

If the CM needs to appoint people to filter bullshit and lies from senior CS to their departmental ministers is a shocking state of events.

Does the UK or any other democracy need a group of non elected non CS to filter the truth? to the elected politicians???

This is the main thing said today in my opinion and it is a very sad reflection of the weakness of our elected and the standard of our top CS.

• Like 1

Just now, Boris Johnson said:

If Alf follows through on his promise to put independent board persons in every department to give impartial advice to Department Ministers then things may well get better.

If the CM needs to appoint people to filter bullshit and lies from senior CS to their departmental ministers is a shocking state of events.

Does the UK or any other democracy need a group of non elected non CS to filter the truth? to the elected politicians???

This is the main thing said today in my opinion and it is a very sad reflection of the weakness of our elected and the standard of our top CS.

As was said many times by many people on here when Manx Care was first proposed...we all look forward in 5 years to the enquiry about why Manx Care was first proposed.

Every 5 to 10 years we look into failing social care and health systems here...and learn...nothing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

I’m not suggesting we look to increase costs, but MPs get a budget to cover the staffing costs, as well as the cost of running a local office. So they can afford to pay a trusted advisor to help them work through what they are presented with by civil servants. Our MHKs are very much on their own and have to fully rely on civil servants, who may have their own agenda.

https://www.theipsa.org.uk/mp-staffing-business-costs

Edited by StrangeBrew

1 minute ago, StrangeBrew said:

I’m not suggesting we look to increase costs, but MPs get a budget to cover the staffing costs, as well as the cost of running a local office. So they can afford to pay a trusted advisor to help them work through what they are presented with by civil servants. Our MHKs are very much on their own and have to fully rely on civil servants, who may have their own agenda.

https://www.theipsa.org.uk/mp-staffing-business-costs

UK politicians have a Party behind them, the staffing costs are more for admin and replying to minor stuff like a constituent moaning about dog shit on a pavement that our lot seem to revel in.

The islands top CS should not need to be fact checked when they tell their minister stuff.

That this is being implemented is shocking and a shows that our top CS are liars and cannot be trusted.....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

More for the band wagon, more wages, more pensions. Just cull the numbers at the top and if real independent advisers are being employed they should replace existing, excessive staff numbers. The entire government edifice is way too large.

Many of us have said similar many times before so don't hold out much hope anything will be done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

More for the band wagon, more wages, more pensions. Just cull the numbers at the top and if real independent advisers are being employed they should replace existing, excessive staff numbers. The entire government edifice is way too large.

Many of us have said similar many times before so don't hold out much hope anything will be done.

Such a review this term was already rejected by Alf Cannan 2 months ago.

5 more years of even much worse to eventually have to sort out....with a lot of sudden pain.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Well quite.  And of course if these people are appointed, the people who decide who they are will be the civil service, so they're hardly likely to rock the boat.  It's also worth pointing out that the one Department where this sort of system operates already is the DfE with its maze of Executive Agencies and Boards.  And it's probably the most useless Department around - even the DoI does some stuff, if not well.

• Like 2

It is interesting how the problem has been seen  in Tynwald by CM in general terms perhaps as a “dilutional approach ’   rather than specific  to the the case in question.

Choosing to see it  as a general attitude/ cultural  problem “in Govt”  that can be addressed by general changes in attitude, culture by   training etc,

The problem  in fact could not  have been more specific  -a named individual,  Dr Ransom,  brought a case of unfair dismissal against the government and  Gov. lost -and how.

Further,  in the course of that tribunal specific individuals  working for government  (not a whole Department) ,  were very clearly identified  as being the sole  cause of that unfair treatment and considerable evidence was forthcoming of their totally unacceptable  behaviour  as individuals towards her.

There is no evidence (from this tribunal)  that this behaviour was in some way a cultural norm  for that or any other Department. On the basis of the tribunals findings, any general   “improvements” should begin with action against these perpetrators.

I may have missed hearing it,but recognising that the tribunal was about an individual being proven to have been treated badly, an apology to Dr Ranson would have been appropriate.

Edited by hampsterkahn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well quite.  And of course if these people are appointed, the people who decide who they are will be the civil service, so they're hardly likely to rock the boat.  It's also worth pointing out that the one Department where this sort of system operates already is the DfE with its maze of Executive Agencies and Boards.  And it's probably the most useless Department around - even the DoI does some stuff, if not well.

Think the agencies were Lewins idea & moved on leaving a crock of shit behind! Scrap those & MDC and save probably £1m pa with all the civil service support.

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

Think the agencies were Lewins idea & moved on leaving a crock of shit behind! Scrap those & MDC and save probably £1m pa with all the civil service support.

Don't you know...running a £multi-millions health agency is just like running a hotel? ...

...Fawlty Towers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1