IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

Master Hooper is responsible for the action , he confirmed he signed off on it , whether he did it reluctantly or not is irrelevant  ( which is what he indicated in the interview on IOM TV), this shows his lack backbone and political understanding. So many politicians fail to understand that they are there to represent the people who voted them in and hold the government machine to account. All to often as in this case they believe they are part of the process and need to defend “ it “ rather than hold the system and the process to account . Anyone with common sense ( which he obviously lacks ) could see where this was going and why the action was brought forward which could only further frustrate and highlight  to the general public that the civil service defends its interests above what is right . 

What this does highlight is that MHKs need to be able to access independent legal advice and not just follow what the AG office advises. This may have helped “The Boy Hooper” in making the right decision .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I thought this issue was all about Dr Ranson being treated very badly...?

So why all the animosity towards Hooper?

I'm aware a lot of folks have had it in for him from the go-get but even so...

That's the point, to perpetuate the DHSC conduct towards Dr Ranson with frivoious high court action, which Hooper as Minister could have stopped makes him complicit.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Mann O Mann said:

Master Hooper is responsible for the action , he confirmed he signed off on it , whether he did it reluctantly or not is irrelevant  ( which is what he indicated in the interview on IOM TV), this shows his lack backbone and political understanding. So many politicians fail to understand that they are there to represent the people who voted them in and hold the government machine to account. All to often as in this case they believe they are part of the process and need to defend “ it “ rather than hold the system and the process to account . Anyone with common sense ( which he obviously lacks ) could see where this was going and why the action was brought forward which could only further frustrate and highlight  to the general public that the civil service defends its interests above what is right . 

What this does highlight is that MHKs need to be able to access independent legal advice and not just follow what the AG office advises. This may have helped “The Boy Hooper” in making the right decision .

Exactly the kind of animosity I meant.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Holte End said:

That's the point, to perpetuate the DHSC conduct towards Dr Ranson with frivoious high court action, which Hooper as Minister could have stopped makes him complicit.

By "frivolous" do you mean the appeal?

Hooper is exactly right that it's a good way to make sure everything is in the public domain.

Had to laugh at all the "car crash" comments about the interview with PM. I mean, what " interview" was that?

They both should know better...

• Sad 1

I bear no animosity towards Lawrie Hooper and he is one of my MHKs.

I believe he inherited this situation which was not of his making; however he signed off and therefore supported an action which has failed. The intent of that action was to cover up questionable conduct in the Ranson matter.

He should have known far, far better and with this "gamble" having failed he should do the honourable thing. As Minister he is not there to defend or cover up dishonourable conduct by his Department's public servants. He is there to serve his taxpaying electorate.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, P.K. said:

By "frivolous" do you mean the appeal?

Hooper is exactly right that it's a good way to make sure everything is in the public domain.

Had to laugh at all the "car crash" comments about the interview with PM. I mean, what " interview" was that?

They both should know better...

So Mr Hooper agreed to it for Government Transparency, Well I think someone should put him forward for an MBE.

• Haha 5

12 hours ago, Gladys said:

Indeed, not sure if the window is closed for that though.  But, again everyone has made their mind up on this.  Perhaps there is a more straightforward explanation that points to incompetence rather than some conspiracy. 

Not that that is any better for the GMP, and still needs to be addressed and quickly, but we need to wait and see what transpires next week rather than expecting a whole expose of misdeeds. 

If I have followed this correctly it's not just the dates not matching, there was minutes of meetings of "committees"  that were presented that are dated before these committees were even created.

That is not incompetence 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

If I have followed this correctly it's not just the dates not matching, there was minutes of meetings of "committees"  that were presented that are dated before these committees were even created.

That is not incompetence 

Quite.

The island is very right wing, you only have to see the piles and piles of Daily Mails being unloaded at manx newsagents every day to know that, but if this case teaches anything it's how important it is to belong to a Trade Union or similar organisation...

7 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Quite.

The island is very right wing, you only have to see the piles and piles of Daily Mails being unloaded at manx newsagents every day to know that, but if this case teaches anything it's how important it is to belong to a Trade Union or similar organisation...

Daily Mails may be one thing but quite how the culture has evolved where CS feel that they are above the law and regulations and/or feel that they may disregard or modify them at their own discretion is what needs to be examined and addressed. Did Greenhow instigate this culture or does it pre-date his tenure?

If a few bullets need to be fired during this investigation then so be it.

• Like 4

the law was changed re the MEA loans ,  the law was also changed to stop government getting sued or being liable for something ages ago but i can't remember what that was about, then there were the parking tickets that weren't really but the fines still stood and no doubt many other things

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WTF said:

the law was changed re the MEA loans ,  the law was also changed to stop government getting sued or being liable for something ages ago but i can't remember what that was about, then there were the parking tickets that weren't really but the fines still stood and no doubt many other things

The NI fund was ring fenced till it suited them to raid it for the hospital and more recently for Covid funds. They just do what they want regardless of morals or whats promised. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2