IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

12 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But were these people performing competently before their promotion?  The problem with DHSC was worse than people being promoted beyond their capabilities, it was people operating in a malign and self-centred manner and getting away with it because that fitted so well with how the government operated.

As I understand it the people creating a hostile environment are not part of policy making.

There's one thing worse than a manager whom can not manage, that's a manager who can not manage being allowed to hire other manager's whom can not manage. To cover up the fact that they can not manage and who should not of been put in a managerial role in the first place, Just because they were the tea boy twenty years earlier and have been there most of their working lives should not be the only qualification they hold to be put in a position of power and trust. Constantly being promoted to cover up some misdemeanour or fuck up to quietly move them away from the point of blame and having to invent roles to employ managers to do the work that should of been covered by the first manager and so on and so forth.    

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

There's one thing worse than a manager whom can not manage, that's a manager who can not manage being allowed to hire other manager's whom can not manage. To cover up the fact that they can not manage and who should not of been put in a managerial role in the first place, Just because they were the tea boy twenty years earlier and have been there most of their working lives should not be the only qualification they hold to be put in a position of power and trust. Constantly being promoted to cover up some misdemeanour or fuck up to quietly move them away from the point of blame and having to invent roles to employ managers to do the work that should of been covered by the first manager and so on and so forth.    

But weren't the main protagonists very senior and not those having come up through the ranks? 

It is highly likely that the very situation you describe meant that the behaviour went unchecked, by those below the main protagonists and created an environment where such behaviour was either acceptable or those who found it unacceptable felt they had no voice to oppose it.  This is why getting proper independent support for whistleblowing must be given priority. 

There must have been people who could see what was going on and could see it wasn't right. 

• Like 7

I'm astonished that IOMG is still growing...!

Sure new legislation needs people to administer it but as it comes along legacy stuff should be dropping off at the other end.

Add to that the rise in integrated IT systems and fewer people should be working smarter.

I know that sounds like marketing BS from the likes of IBM (very average product but the best sales blurb in the business) but there is a lot of truth in it.

For a start I would flatten out the very slow, inefficient pyramid structures....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

There must have been people who could see what was going on and could see it wasn't right. 

Yeah say fuck all and keep my cushy life/pension, Speak out and be ostracised by my seniors and juniors for endangering their cushy life/pension. 

Speak out, get real cash and comfort the great incentive. Do you not think they went in for the job knowing exactly what they were getting. Surely you can not believe that. You say you believe the best of everybody, I would say that is pretty naive. 

1 minute ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Yeah say fuck all and keep my cushy life/pension, Speak out and be ostracised by my seniors and juniors for endangering their cushy life/pension. 

That is why whistleblowing support is so important.  Instead of ranting just think about it.  The whole culture needs to change and an important step is to assist people in raising concerns without fear of repercussions. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

34 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I'm astonished that IOMG is still growing...!

Sure new legislation needs people to administer it but as it comes along legacy stuff should be dropping off at the other end.

Add to that the rise in integrated IT systems and fewer people should be working smarter.

I know that sounds like marketing BS from the likes of IBM (very average product but the best sales blurb in the business) but there is a lot of truth in it.

For a start I would flatten out the very slow, inefficient pyramid structures....

I'm not. 

For the last 15 years big parts of the Civil Service have been about nothing but making their jobs 'essential'. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Speak out, get real cash and comfort the great incentive. Do you not think they went in for the job knowing exactly what they were getting. Surely you can not believe that. You say you believe the best of everybody, I would say that is pretty naive. 

I would say that is very naive.

Every organisation needs folks at the coal face who will tell it like it is. This is particularly true of pyramid structures where a top down view is easily obscured by layers of managers each with their own little fiefdom to protect. Which basically means the organisation is over-managed and under-led.

Step forward IOMG....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

For the last 15 years big parts of the Civil Service have been about nothing but making their jobs 'essential'. 

This in spades ... as I posted elsewhere the island is drowning in buckets of red tape and bureaucracy  ! It is holding everything back now, but I guess we shouldn't be surprised employing so many pencil necks at great cost !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

I can tell you from first hand that the Public Sector is still growing. They're by far the most powerful professional group on the Island, with formidable clout, and it's a runaway (gravy) train. Who's going to stop it ? Certainly not the politicians - who are they ? They don't run anything, have no expertise, don't make the decisions, have limited power and know fuck all. The Ranson case only opened the lid because she had professional advice and the resources behind her to fight back.

I genuinely think Alf Cannan will try to do his best though, and the outcome of the next few days could be interesting - or disappointing. The appeal decision last week at least gave hope for some optimism. We'll see.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I can tell you from first hand that the Public Sector is still growing. They're by far the most powerful professional group on the Island, with formidable clout, and it's a runaway (gravy) train. Who's going to stop it ? Certainly not the politicians - who are they ? They don't run anything, have no expertise, don't make the decisions, have limited power and know fuck all. The Ranson case only opened the lid because she had professional advice and the resources behind her to fight back.

I genuinely think Alf Cannan will try to do his best though, and the outcome of the next few days could be interesting - or disappointing. The appeal decision last week at least gave hope for some optimism. We'll see.

The only thing that can stop it is itself. 

It will eventually hit the buffers/run off a cliff in spectacular fashion. Sadly for the rest of us the whole island will collapse around it at the same time. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Edge raised concerns over Govt numbers last October. It all went quiet. Nothing else heard.

Moorhouse raised the same concerns @ 2 months ago following the release of the latest recruitment numbers. It's all gone quiet again.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, asitis said:

This in spades ... as I posted elsewhere the island is drowning in buckets of red tape and bureaucracy  ! It is holding everything back now, but I guess we shouldn't be surprised employing so many pencil necks at great cost !

Then factor in Turkeys and Xmas mentality and you have a perfect storm. And we sure do.  

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1