IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

Mr Ashford has apparently mentioned having a limit of 2GB of data storage. During the Covid briefings he often spoke about data protection as if he was some sort of expert and even shredded a letter to protect the identity of the supposed author!. So I trust he is aware that he should not be holding any personal data for longer than is necessary, and that he will in future ensure that personal data that should be deleted is removed from his user account and from back-ups.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Manx Resident said:

Mr Ashford has apparently mentioned having a limit of 2GB of data storage. During the Covid briefings he often spoke about data protection as if he was some sort of expert and even shredded a letter to protect the identity of the supposed author!. So I trust he is aware that he should not be holding any personal data for longer than is necessary, and that he will in future ensure that personal data that should be deleted is removed from his user account and from back-ups.

The Ashford mantra of data protection: Protect only when it suits. Destroy when it doesn't.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

My Chemist on Windsor road who usually are brilliant have had problems these last few months too. But they have said theres issues with getting lots of the meds particularly popular ones. I myself have been given part prescriptions on several occasions so they have enough to provide for everyone. Whoever they get them from is the problem. Think blood pressure meds and the likes are a issue.  

Is there actually a shortage or are they just searching for the cheapest?

Some of my repeat medications seem to change manufacturer each prescription and some of the products seem to be much more cheaply packaged, (a good thing), or the inhalers don't have counters on, (a bad thing).

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Is there actually a shortage or are they just searching for the cheapest?

Some of my repeat medications seem to change manufacturer each prescription and some of the products seem to be much more cheaply packaged, (a good thing), or the inhalers don't have counters on, (a bad thing).

I believe its a shortage and they are shopping round to try and  fulfill prescriptions . Thats what they indicated to me anyhow. . 

43 minutes ago, code99 said:

If people do not have very deep pockets or rich backers (as the government clearly has the upper hand in terms of the legal and financial advantage).....

The government "backers" are you and I who seem to be on a cost only arrangement. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, code99 said:

IMHO, what we are seeing here is a coordinated effort by government to use the legal system to ‘get their own way’. Even though the DHSC have technically lost this case and Dr Ranson has won it, they are still willing to continue frustrate her claim.

It’s called institutional bullying. She’s lucky she’s not Manx and has moved away so they can’t start the personal ostracism of your entire family and try to destroy the next job you have either.  

14 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

It’s called institutional bullying. She’s lucky she’s not Manx and has moved away so they can’t start the personal ostracism of your entire family and try to destroy the next job you have either.  

Has she?  I thought she was still here.

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

The government "backers" are you and I who seem to be on a cost only arrangement. 

Absolutely. The Island is at the beginning of a cost of living crisis. Yet the IOMG is unnecessarily wasting taxpayers' money (which could be used for something else) to defend and justify its own bad behaviour. The IOMG's behaviour throughout this whole sorry saga is a disgrace.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, code99 said:

Absolutely. The Island is at the beginning of a cost of living crisis. Yet the IOMG is unnecessarily wasting taxpayers' money (which could be used for something else) to defend and justify its own bad behaviour. The IOMG's behaviour throughout this whole sorry saga is a disgrace.

I can remember walking the dogs on Marine Drive, listening to MR when DA justified the remote working of Magson,  probably early 2020 when Covid was gathering momentum.  He was similarly authoritative about how we (you know, the generally dumb GMP) should move with the times and accept the benefits of technology.  I was just gobsmacked that such an important appointment was viewed as being perfectly able to be performed remotely, particularly at that time. 

How would she get a feel for the place, people and importantly the people she was leading, how would the 'water cooler' chats happen and how could she be an effective leader when most of her next in command would have to book a Teams call with her?

TBH, that has been the root cause of this costly fiasco, in my opinion.  Once wedded to an ill advised appointment, very hard to undo it. 

(Please, no reference to the lilac knickers, they weren't mine and have long gone.  But, there are still questions never answered; whose were they and how did they end up tangled in the Marine Drive fence?)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I can remember walking the dogs on Marine Drive, listening to MR when DA justified the remote working of Magson,  probably early 2020 when Covid was gathering momentum.  He was similarly authoritative about how we (you know, the generally dumb GMP) should move with the times and accept the benefits of technology.  I was just gobsmacked that such an important appointment was viewed as being perfectly able to be performed remotely, particularly at that time. 

How would she get a feel for the place, people and importantly the people she was leading, how would the 'water cooler' chats happen and how could she be an effective leader when most of her next in command would have to book a Teams call with her?

TBH, that has been the root cause of this costly fiasco, in my opinion.  Once wedded to an ill advised appointment, very hard to undo it. 

(Please, no reference to the lilac knickers, they weren't mine and have long gone.  But, there are still questions never answered; whose were they and how did they end up tangled in the Marine Drive fence?)

Sorry, no idea about the knickers (but I had a hunch - have we met before?)

As I understand it, the Manx Care Board Members are based in the UK. We'll see how their 'remote working' will pan out. 

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I was just gobsmacked that such an important appointment was viewed as being perfectly able to be performed remotely, particularly at that time. 

TBH, that has been the root cause of this costly fiasco, in my opinion.  

I agree. I only really know about medicine, but over the years it’s hardly ever worked to appoint a commuting medic, let alone a full-on off-island appointment. I’ve always thought that to be good here, and for the island to be good to you, you have to immerse yourself in the place. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Just now, code99 said:

Sorry, no idea about the knickers (but I had a hunch - have we met before?)

As I understand it, the Manx Care Board Members are based in the UK. We'll see how their 'remote working' will pan out. 

Not sure about meeting, but it has been a long running joke on here about lilac knickers I found up on Marine Drive years ago .  Absolutely perplexed about the story behind them.

More to the point, I kind of "get" that the board members (non-execs) could be effective even if remote.  I do not "get" that the CEO can be effective if remote.  From what we know, and it isn't clear, Magson was seconded so there would have been no employment issue if we had said "Look, given the uncertainties around Covid, we really need someone heading our health service based here, so if you can't do that, we will have to disengage sorry."

Who knows, if both Ranson and Magson had a face to face relationship, it may have been a more constructive one and this whole nonsense would never have happened. 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Not sure about meeting, but it has been a long running joke on here about lilac knickers I found up on Marine Drive years ago .  Absolutely perplexed about the story behind them.

More to the point, I kind of "get" that the board members (non-execs) could be effective even if remote.  I do not "get" that the CEO can be effective if remote.  From what we know, and it isn't clear, Magson was seconded so there would have been no employment issue if we had said "Look, given the uncertainties around Covid, we really need someone heading our health service based here, so if you can't do that, we will have to disengage sorry."

Who knows, if both Ranson and Magson had a face to face relationship, it may have been a more constructive one and this whole nonsense would never have happened. 

Manx Care is no better.

I had heard that the former head of governance for the Manx Care board was paid to leave not long ago because they (the board) didn't want to adhere to good governance. Best to pay him off and make the concept of good governance disappear. Theresa Cope and other members of leadership refusing to participate in courses - specifically around HR issues - because then it gave them plausible credibility to say they hadn't been trained effectively to deal with certain problems internally.

Our entire healthcare system is broken. Right at the very top, from Ministers (current and former) to senior leadership (current and former). This is a Government-wide problem, but this is our health we're talking about. Bad decisions made and good people lost because we are too pansy to address the root problems head-on.

Edited by NoTailT
  • Thanks 3