IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

2 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Firstly, I'm not sure this has anything to do with DHSC.  He's been practising here, privately, as an osteopath for many years.

This leads into the business of 'protected titles'.  Some years ago, anyone with a bucket and sponge who ran onto the footie pitch after an injury could call themselves a physiotherapist.  I'm pretty sure the same was true of 'osteopath' and 'chiropractor'.  I think it is still true of 'sports therapist'.  I know there was a case here many years ago when one of the legitimate (as in fully qualified and regulated by the CSP) physiotherapists had to complain to the Yellow Pages (when that was still a thing) to get one of their 'physiotherapists' de-listed.  He still practices here, and patients frequently refer to him as a 'physiotherapist', when he's not at all qualified to be one.

It's only a few years ago that chiropractors here did not have to be registered with the chiropractic council.  That changed, but it was a bit of a battle to get it through.  I understand DHSC are now in the process of regulating and licensing all therapists and other private practitioners.  So they should.  Or at least ensure that those that aren't qualified or regulated advertise the fact in big letters.  Anyone fancy a bit of amateur dentistry?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Both seemingly. I also went to that one in peel that does all the weirdo shit. Can't believe dobbsy was the charlatan out of the two

The one whose office is behind the cafe and the post office? I've been to him and his daughter as well for sciatica, had good results from both. Prefer the daughter though, imo she was more thorough and paid closer attention to my medical history. 

As wrighty says, this is about protected titles.   According to the General Osteopathic Council:

The title 'osteopath' is protected by law (Protection of title) and you have to be registered with the General Osteopathic Council (GOsC) to practise in the UK, Isle of Man and Gibraltar.

and these are the practices listed in the Isle of Man:

image.png.c5a2077e9576ce5f2aaa6d2870f38675.png

Though I've found another one who didn't fill his address in properly.

Can't find anyone called Dobbs however or anyone in Peel.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Add italics

5 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

As wrighty says, this is about protected titles.   According to the General Osteopathic Council:

The title 'osteopath' is protected by law (Protection of title) and you have to be registered with the General Osteopathic Council (GOsC) to practise in the UK, Isle of Man and Gibraltar.

and these are the practices listed in the Isle of Man:

image.png.c5a2077e9576ce5f2aaa6d2870f38675.png

Though I've found another one who didn't fill his address in properly.

Can't find anyone called Dobbs however or anyone in Peel.

The guy in Peel doesn't claim to be an osteopath. I forget how he describes his practice although it's called the Balanced Health Clinic. I went to him as he's local (don't have a car) and he was highly recommend by several friends. 

35 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Two duplicates there (Newman and Silverston) and Chiropractors are a different (though also protected) title.  I'm not sure the Port Erin place is still going.  So it's only Dobbs who is calling himself one without having the legal membership (irrespective of how good he is).

1 hour ago, Zarley said:

The guy in Peel doesn't claim to be an osteopath. I forget how he describes his practice although it's called the Balanced Health Clinic. I went to him as he's local (don't have a car) and he was highly recommend by several friends. 

Yes if claim to be New Age-y enough you can get away with anything.  Say you practice "Systematic Kinesiology" and "Ishta Spinal Touch" rather than osteopathy and you'll be fine.  Say you're a practitioner of "Craniosacral Therapy" rather than a chiropractor and they can't touch you.  As usual it's all about words.

• Like 1