IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

5 minutes ago, Dr. Grumpy said:

"The CQC asked five questions - is the service safe, effective, well-led, responsive and caring? In four of these five areas, the inspectors found the service was not meeting expectations."

In case you're wondering.  It is Caring. 

6 minutes ago, Dr. Grumpy said:

Even though this will release an avalanche of more bad news, we should at least applaud the fact that an independent agency has been allowed in to carry out this 'pilot' review.

For far too long, IMHO, the senior medics, nurses, midwives and other professionals have thought that they run health and social care (particulalrly Noble's Hospital).  If the politicians can understand that and remove that culture, we may be able to move forward.  If not, it will be 'same old, same old', with a worsening service and increasing costs.

10 minutes ago, Gladys said:

One of the findings of a review by the CQC into ED.  There are other, quite frankly, disturbing findings. 

I’ve just listened to the clips: Paul Moore’s comment on serious medication errors in the ED was frankly astonishing - lauding their openness and transparency while simultaneously obfuscating the issue.   It was a masterclass.

I’ll need to go back and listen to the whole hour…

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

For far too long, IMHO, the senior medics, nurses, midwives and other professionals have thought that they run health and social care (particulalrly Noble's Hospital).  If the politicians can understand that and remove that culture, we may be able to move forward.  If not, it will be 'same old, same old', with a worsening service and increasing costs.

For avoidance of doubt: you’re suggesting that the current situation is the fault of the healthcare professionals at the sharp end?    You’re suggesting that the politicians and senior CS who manage the service are blameless?

9 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

I’ve just listened to the clips: Paul Moore’s comment on serious medication errors in the ED was frankly astonishing - lauding their openness and transparency while simultaneously obfuscating the issue.   It was a masterclass.

I’ll need to go back and listen to the whole hour…

Yes, that is what I will do this evening, instead of watching The Chase. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

But it's all right, because medicine is a 'high risk' activity apparently.   Why should adrenaline-junkies bother with the TT when they can go straight to Nobles? 

Paul Moore is also in charge of 'governance' as well as nursing, which you would have thought would be a conflict.  This all seems to be the DHSC/Manx Care getting their story in first before the report is published later today.

At least we're getting external inspections though, but it does make you realise why they fought so hard against having them before.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

For avoidance of doubt: you’re suggesting that the current situation is the fault of the healthcare professionals at the sharp end?    You’re suggesting that the politicians and senior CS who manage the service are blameless?

I'm happy to debate this with you, but let's wait for the report (hopefully not redacted) and pick up some of its themes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But it's all right, because medicine is a 'high risk' activity apparently.   Why should adrenaline-junkies bother with the TT when they can go straight to Nobles? 

Paul Moore is also in charge of 'governance' as well as nursing

I’ll bet all the money in my pockets against all the money in your pockets that the report broadly classes the medication errors as governance issues (ie, under Mr Moore’s direct purview) and NOTHING to do with individual patient variation to drugs, which he seemed to be trying to imply.

• Thanks 1

One bit of context that coincidentally recently appeared, was the answer to a Written Question:

The Hon. Member for Douglas North (Mr Wannenburgh) to ask the Minister for Health and Social Care: How many people went through Accident and Emergency in each completed calendar year since 2017; of those, how many waited a) less than four hours, b) four to eight hours, c) eight to 12 hours and d) in excess of 12 hours; [...]

image.png.f2a901f84101852571878b240c0faf02.png

[...] Please note that the above table:-

• Does not include patients that left before being seen;

• Notes the total time that the patient is in the department inclusive of triage, any waiting time, assessment and treatment. Also includes time waiting for a bed to become available (if the patient is being admitted);

• Provides data only in respect of Nobles Emergency Department and not the Minor Injuries Unit in Ramsey Cottage Hospital.

The interesting thing is that we keep on being told that the problem is more and more patients going to A&E when they should be attending GPs instead.  But actually A&E attendances are pretty constant at around 30,000 a year over the last five years (and didn't drop much over the pandemic, unlike in the UK).  What has got worse is the number of longer 'waits' and I suspect these are to do with people waiting longer for a hospital bed. 

• Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

I’ll bet all the money in my pockets against all the money in your pockets that the report broadly classes the medication errors as governance issues (ie, under Mr Moore’s direct purview) and NOTHING to do with individual patient variation to drugs, which he seemed to be trying to imply.

Listening to the mannin line, and having been on the recieving end of medication errors, shows that this is a wide spread and common problem.

In my case I was given the wrong patients drugs on two occasions.  When I queried this with the head nurse I was told to just take them.  Obviously I declined, but what about those who are not alert enough to notice?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

• Notes the total time that the patient is in the department inclusive of triage, any waiting time, assessment and treatment. Also includes time waiting for a bed to become available (if the patient is being admitted);

This is the bit I am not sure people are understanding.

I went up with chest pain a year or so ago.  Was triaged and on a monitor within 15 minutes.

They wanted to monitor me but didn’t see any need to admit as long as they didn’t need the cubicle so I stayed there most of the day.

It is my understanding that in these figures I will be down as 10 hours despite being seen immediately and receiving care and attention that I couldn’t fault.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

This is the bit I am not sure people are understanding.

I went up with chest pain a year or so ago.  Was triaged and on a monitor within 15 minutes.

They wanted to monitor me but didn’t see any need to admit as long as they didn’t need the cubicle so I stayed there most of the day.

It is my understanding that in these figures I will be down as 10 hours despite being seen immediately and receiving care and attention that I couldn’t fault.

But the point is that exceptional cases like that should be fairly constant over the years.  Normally people will be admitted or discharged.  If the number of long waits is increasing over time, there will be other reasons for it.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, english zloty said:

Or sacked… the nickname Can’t Cope is fairly commonplace 

Quite clear from report just made public that Cope can cope, OHR Director specific to Manx Care achieved nothing apart from a promotion 

who is head of Infection control that needs held accountable and disposed of? 
answers on a postcard to Copeless