IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

5 minutes ago, cissolt said:

The problems pre-date him, if he knew how bad it was what steps did he take to improve it?

I suspect his wife will be on shortly to defend him.

He supported having independent reviews included in the Manx Care legislation, and publicly voiced concerns about the culture, apparently.  However, he was keen to put deep blue sea between himself and personnel issues in the health service whilst Minister. I think we have seen one pretty public example of that. 

The two stances do not stack up. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

The NPM this morning has an interview with ex Minister of the DHSC David Ashford, who comments that he wasn’t surprised by the CQC report published yesterday. He further says that changing the culture could take decades. 

This really is appalling and shows that these politicos clowns either know what’s going on, are turning a blind eye to neglect and incompetence or Ministers in charge are incompetent themselves. Ashford was awarded his MBE based on his all brilliance during the pandemic, so he must have been aware of the culture but chose to do nothing - which is unforgivable. He really is now by his frankness proving that he isn’t fit to work within a department and certainly not fit to be a Minister.

I will say this, that it’s not totally Ashford who is incompetent but also ex CM Quayle who was formerly ex DHSC Minister, along with ex Minister DHSC Beecroft. 

Hooper is like a “Rabbit in the headlights” just sitting staring.   He is not a leader, like Beacroft he is all mouth no action

Less mouth to go with no action once he got a ministerial position. 
He needs to step aside and let someone who isn’t afraid of senior civil managers step in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Beecroft / Kinrade was sacked because she was trying to tackle the Nobles issue and Couch didn't want political interference.

I know Beecroft isn’t / wasn’t popular on these boards: but she took over an office in Nobles one day a week and encouraged staff to drop in and discuss concerns on a one-to-one basis.  It ended in failure when Couch sacked her, but I believed that she was really trying to do something positive.

It’s hard to imagine Minister Hooper or Professor Lord Ashford even considering something like this, which exposes them to the actual views and experiences of the workers at the sharp end.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, buncha wankas said:

Hooper is like a “Rabbit in the headlights” just sitting staring.   He is not a leader, like Beacroft he is all mouth no action

Less mouth to go with no action once he got a ministerial position. 
He needs to step aside and let someone who isn’t afraid of senior civil managers step in. 

Well as already pointed out, Beecroft (as was) tried to change things from the top and got sacked by Greenhow for trying (while Quayle who didn't have the guts to do it himself, sulked in the corner and tried to make it better with a bunch of flowers).  But of course Hooper has even less power than she theoretically had, he's only directly in control of the 40 or so civil servants in DHSC who seem to have absolutely no purpose at all[1].

The truth is the DHSC/Manx Care split was a wholly unnecessary and expensive folly, like much else produced by the Quayle administration.  Rather than try to tackle the problems themselves they hoped someone else would do it for them and they would be free from those nagging constituents trying to get them to fix things.

[1]  They're supposed to be monitoring and setting policy, but Manx Care also has policy people as well and the CQC have (rightly) been brought in to the monitoring.  You get the impression that a large proportion of the better paid parts of the civil service are basically courtiers, there to make the Ministers and each other feel important.

• Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, Manx Resident said:

Really, Mr Ashford MHK is being critical of the organisation for which he had responsibility!. Do our politicians think they are actually in an episode of “Yes Minister” and everything they say and do is only for comedic effect.

Having listened to the clip on the website, I don’t understand why a minister of such insight - and drive to makes changes - was ever allowed to leave the post!

• Haha 9

12 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Do you mean that Couch complained to Quayle, and Quayle sacked her?

No, Couch complained to Greenhow and Greenhow sacked her.  Quayle just nodded along and signed whatever documents were needed.  As usual. 

Beecroft had thought that Ministers had the power to change things and such heresy had to be dealt with severely.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Beecroft (as was) tried to change things from the top and got sacked by Greenhow for trying (while Quayle who didn't have the guts to do it himself, sulked in the corner and tried to make it better with a bunch of flowers)

6 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Do you mean that Couch complained to Quayle, and Quayle sacked her?

Ouch! - two factual corrections in under 15 minutes: I’ve let myself down, I’ve let my family down, I’ve let the Forum down, etc…

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Having listened to the clip on the website, I don’t understand why a minister of such insight - and drive to makes changes - was ever allowed to leave the post!

He just cannot resist opening his mouth to remove all doubt, (to bastardise a quote). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Jarndyce said:

Fair enough - good on yer!

Here we go.

There is a lazy myth that all nurses are angels and all doctors are demi-gods.  Flowing from this is a lazy assumption that they can't be criticised.

However, health and social care are full of really nasty people - some of whom don't care about the people that they are supposed to be looking after, and many of whom bully their colleagues relentlessly.  It is often the nasty ones who then form cliques, become union activists and throw out the concept of 'professional autonomy' to fend off any attempts by management to achieve good services that could be benchmarked against the best in the UK (as the CQC has tried to do).

Those cliques are canny too, and know how to get to the politicians.  This means that they are never challenged, and the politicians seek glory for awesome policies like little Finley getting his special medicine.

It can be changed through imposing standards etc. in law - which they are not in the Isle of Man, and obliging professionals contractually to deliver them.  Courage is needed from politicians and managers, but this would not be rocket science.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

It’s good to have you back with your input Apple. You’ve been missed on this topic - and others. 

Kind of you to say so, and others have supported the comment. Thank you for that.

Having said that, some of the insights demonstrated by several posters are in my view totally correct and I am sad /glad in a away it is all coming out into the open. 

The island deserves better, it will get better (somehow), it needs to get better.

My concern at the moment is we need a fully functioning staff team for A and E, trained up to the highest standards, and not just for TT. Would anyone propose a high speed road race as things stand today ? Would anyone come and watch if they knew the state of play ? 

Question. for Tynwald I think.

Good to be back, so far 😀

• Like 5