IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

30 minutes ago, 2112 said:

All I can say is use your own judgement. Everyone must have heard horror stories of medical fuck ups, sheer incompetence and general mistakes. I certainly have and the NPM has broadcast tales on news reports. There are some very good medical staff working within Manx Care. Thus Island  can not attract good quality doctors or consultants. I myself have been on the receiving end of long wait to see a consultant, passed from pillar to post for diagnosis as nobody capable and poor treatment. 

Family member had excellent service from Dermatology & I’ve had excellent treatment from cardiology so depends who you see 

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I was having a quick look at DfE's vacancies website yesterday, the number of vacancies under Manx Care is notable. Either they have huge staff shortages or they're empire building...

Pretty well everywhere is struggling.

Just FWIW two people living in can charge up to £75k / year.

9 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I was having a quick look at DfE's vacancies website yesterday, the number of vacancies under Manx Care is notable. Either they have huge staff shortages or they're empire building...

Major staff shortages, maybe pay the HCA's and housekeepers more than £20K a year and they may just get and keep staff!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Over 100 short. Nurse should be +90.

That's just to achieve SAFE care levels.  In other words, it's the minimum required for safety.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Have you been under a stone recently?  They are severely understaffed in all areas.

I would like to know if other CQC reviews will be published. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/13/2022 at 10:26 AM, Numbnuts said:

the sooner they start managing efficently staff and get out of the lazy culture thats existed for years nothing will change.

One of the problems is how do you measure efficiency in a health and social care service? I don't think staff are lazy - there is just not enough of the ones that really matter and the types that can make a big difference. Some have tried and were ignored. Added to that a the transfer of staff and terms and conditions from the DHSC did not really go down well. Sure, it gets numbers off the governments books but what does it really mean and what message does it send out to most people?

4 hours ago, Banker said:

There are some very good medical staff working within Manx Care. Thus Island  can not attract good quality doctors or consultants.

Yes there are, some very hard working, (Someone yesterday singing the praises of General / Vascular Surgeon Mr Shutt who in my opinion is one of the best).  But is really isn't about all the staff, medical, clinical or nursing or managers etc. Good leadership has to come from the top and politicians in my view have been too reluctant / scared to tackle some of the direct issues themselves. (as we now see). (they depend on the services for themselves and their families too).

One of the issues from my time is that when a new consultant was employed they usually came with a 'list' of wants / needs such as new equipment or team members that in some cases had  significant costs. Hospitals and services can be turned round. Remunerating staff in the right way can be just one of the mechanisms. IOM Manx Care has to be imaginative in that respect. 

Good health and social care isn't cheap, but if all sections and grades of staff are not happy then research shows the care will not be the greatest. Thats the mountain Manx Care have - to win the staff, against a seemingly uncaring political background. It can be done but I am not sure the current politicians will be able to stay out of the way, and the limelight (again, as we continue to see ). 

Too many knew too much for too long. And we don't know why.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

21 hours ago, Gladys said:

Have you been under a stone recently?  They are severely understaffed in all areas.

Everywhere and every industry appears to be understaffed at the moment. 

I keep saying that 

a) Have we reached some sort of peak capitalism, whereby demand now completely outstrips supply for everything.  Someone with a sensible grasp of Economics needs to educate me on this one. 

b) If thanks to Brexit we (the UK) now control our Borders, why isn't someone from the jobcentre on Dover beach greeting all the rubber boat people?  I'm only half joking. 

• Like 1

Whilst we all have a go at the current politicians and management, it needs to be remembered that this hasn't happened overnight. People from both those groups were paid considerable amounts of money during this decline to ensure that it, er, didn't.

Some people need to be asked how and why it was going on under their watch - and why they weren't addressing it. Because some people have recently admitted to being cognisant of it too...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1