IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

6 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Bear in mind however that 2020 & 2021 had lockdowns and no TTs or GPs.

17, 18 & 19 were getting an extra 2000 per year! 

Three years isn't really enough for a pattern, we'd need to see further back.  I was surprised how little the lockdowns and no TT affected attendance though.  I would expect a rise this year as we know they say TT was the busiest they have ever had.

It would be interesting to see a month-by-month analysis, which might show any trends in more detail.  We've not got any 2022 figures, so I suppose it's possible that there has been a big upsurge and it would helpful to find out why.

59 minutes ago, Banker said:

There’s definitely people there who couldn’t get GP appointment etc , going with sore shoulder, headache, minor cut etc & Ramsey is open 8-8 every day

I'd agree that Ramsey should get more use, though it can be awkward for people who don't have or can't use their own transport.  The figures above are only for Nobles, so figures for the Ramsey MIU are unknown and it would be nice to see their usage figures and if there has been an increase with them getting more promotion this year.

There have always who went to A&E when a GPs appointment might have been more suitable, though it works the other way as well.  But that's something that shouldn't change or explain why the CQC found the ED such a mess.  One thing that affect it is people new to the island who aren't registered with a GP, but I can't see that making that much of a difference.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nom de plume said:

I remember him.

One of the Covid cranks that said we'd all be dead now. Where's the stat man, can't even remember his name? 

That’s what annoyed me. We closed everything down to pander to cranks like him and now we have done they’re moaning all that nothing works properly. No shit Sherlock. 

4 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

As for people who "shouldn't be there", how do they know that until they have been seen?  A similar thing applies to those who might have gone to Ramsey (which isn't open all the time anyway).  They may not know they only have a minor injury until it has been checked out.

The clue is in the title - Accident and Emergency. If you’ve not had an accident, and if what you’re presenting with is not an emergency (eg slightly sore knee for two weeks, that sort of thing) then see your GP. And as for Ramsey MIU again the clue is in the title. Minor Injury Unit. So if you stub your toe but can walk ok, or turned your ankle the day before, or knocked your hand against a cupboard…

It’s not actually difficult to signpost to the right place. I’m not saying it’s the whole cause of the access problems in A&E, but it contributes. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Banker said:

it’s the same everywhere!! 

No it isn't. In Jersey/Guernsey the waiting room floors are paved in solid gold and the nurses all provide "happy endings" and pay you for attending their hozzies......apparently.😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, wrighty said:

The clue is in the title - Accident and Emergency. If you’ve not had an accident, and if what you’re presenting with is not an emergency (eg slightly sore knee for two weeks, that sort of thing) then see your GP. And as for Ramsey MIU again the clue is in the title. Minor Injury Unit. So if you stub your toe but can walk ok, or turned your ankle the day before, or knocked your hand against a cupboard…

It’s not actually difficult to signpost to the right place. I’m not saying it’s the whole cause of the access problems in A&E, but it contributes. 

and yet when the clue is in  the title of NATIONAL health service  you are quite happy for us to accommodate INTERNATIONAL patients.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

As for people who "shouldn't be there", how do they know that until they have been seen?

Are there any figures for people who have queued at Nobles A&E, only to be told that they should see their GP?

If none have been turned away, then they are there because they need to be.

The last time I went to the Ramsey GP, before being permitted to see a doctor I was first seen by someone who looked like he should be still at school (that's because I am old). He thought it only necessary for me to have blood tests, which he organised. So there was no need to see a GP.

Is the same process done at Nobles, to sort the wheat from the chaff?

5 hours ago, John Wright said:

Well, I’m listed for a bone marrow biopsy at Clatterbridge on Monday. The best they can say is they hope the clinic will run, but it depends on whether staff take the bank holiday. They’ll let me know at 09.30 on Monday!

Fortunately I’m stopping in Liverpool over night on my way home from Spain. Set off for Bilbao in an hour, then 30 hours on ferry to Portsmouth on Saturday/Sunday.

They've said if it doesn’t happen Monday they’ll fit me in on Tuesday. My last two sets of tests for the leukaemia marker have thrown anomalous results. BMB is only way to determine.

Good luck, John. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Are there any figures for people who have queued at Nobles A&E, only to be told that they should see their GP?

If none have been turned away, then they are there because they need to be.

The last time I went to the Ramsey GP, before being permitted to see a doctor I was first seen by someone who looked like he should be still at school (that's because I am old). He thought it only necessary for me to have blood tests, which he organised. So there was no need to see a GP.

Is the same process done at Nobles, to sort the wheat from the chaff?

They don’t turn anyone away as far as I know but they triage them first to check symptoms, blood pressure etc & presumably rank them in terms of urgency . Someone like ex rugby player Dick Welsh with a cut leg wound I assume be less priority than an old lady with chest pains

• Like 1