IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

13 hours ago, Two-lane said:

Manx Care's Director of Nursing to 3FM:

"Speaking to 3FM, Paul Moore, says culture issues are partly a symptom of an 'underlying and chronic' shortage of staff."

So all the bullying 'n' stuff is because of a shortage of staff. I assume that by now Manx Care will have recruited a Deputy Chief Information Officer, so all will be well.

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/manx-care-director-of-nursing-equally-concerned-and-optimistic-about-cqc-report/

I’m across at a conference this week. Talking to several of my old mates who work in UK trusts, it’s the same there. Paul is right. The cultural issues are at least partly down to staffing shortages and hence burnout of those that remain. 

I’m of the opinion that the NHS model of healthcare is broken. Irreparably. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I’m across at a conference this week. Talking to several of my old mates who work in UK trusts, it’s the same there. Paul is right. The cultural issues are at least partly down to staffing shortages and hence burnout of those that remain. 

I’m of the opinion that the NHS model of healthcare is broken. Irreparably. 

Is that just an issue with single payer systems? New Zealand, Canada, Sweden etc all have similar issues with their universal healthcare systems.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/470743/healthcare-crisis-widening-equity-gap-says-women-in-medicine-charitable-trust

The cost of missed GP appointments for 2022 is on average £47,000 per month.

That's according to the Island's former health minister, who adds an average of 1,200 appointments have been missed every month this year.

Mr Hooper says Primary Care Services are currently working with Manx Care Communications to publicise this data monthly to 'highlight the issue to the public.'

Figures show just under 60,000 GP appointments have been missed over the past five years. 

20 minutes ago, snowman said:

The cost of missed GP appointments for 2022 is on average £47,000 per month.

That's according to the Island's former health minister, who adds an average of 1,200 appointments have been missed every month this year.

Mr Hooper says Primary Care Services are currently working with Manx Care Communications to publicise this data monthly to 'highlight the issue to the public.'

Figures show just under 60,000 GP appointments have been missed over the past five years. 

What are the reasons behind them though?  It sounds a suspiciously high number for no shows!  How does that compare with previous years?

37 minutes ago, cissolt said:

What are the reasons behind them though?  It sounds a suspiciously high number for no shows!  How does that compare with previous years?

There are 11 GP practices on the Isle of Man so 1200 missed appointments a month equates to around 5 a day per practice on average (although it will likely be more in the larger practices and fewer in the smaller practices). I would imagine the figure includes missed appointments with doctors and practice nurses etc so seems like quite a believable number to me.

1 hour ago, snowman said:

How many cancellations made by hospital and the costs associated with those for the public would be more useful. Many report last minute changes and cancellations but no reports on that issued. 

Or are we being prepared for the possibility for GP visit charges to be introduced ? Nightmare to administer.

58 minutes ago, cissolt said:

An appointment notification service would surely go a long way to mitigating it. Everywhere else has one (texts/emails/etc). Could probably be done without a centralised booking system (although this would help).

What are the reasons behind the cancellations? Is is because you feel better before the appointment? Could you not have anticipated the recovery? Is it because the time to get an appointment is too long and there is a natural improvement?

Or is it hypochondria? The worried well? Want a hour off work, want some sympathy?

Without more information, it's not poss judge these cancellations!!!

1 minute ago, Kopek said:

What are the reasons behind the cancellations? Is is because you feel better before the appointment? Could you not have anticipated the recovery? Is it because the time to get an appointment is too long and there is a natural improvement?

Or is it hypochondria? The worried well? Want a hour off work, want some sympathy?

Without more information, it's not poss judge these cancellations!!!

I think the point is that the missed appointments aren't cancelled. They just don't turn up. If someone feels better and they cancel the appointment, that isn't really a problem as the appointment can then be given to someone else.

16 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

An appointment notification service would surely go a long way to mitigating it. Everywhere else has one (texts/emails/etc). Could probably be done without a centralised booking system (although this would help).

I get a text when I book an appointment at Hailwood practice and one the day before the actual appointment. Pretty good tbh .