IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

42 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Panorama tonight, toxic culture, poor management and recruitment issues.

That is all.

Horrific, distressing and vile. 

Not watched it but heard about it on R4.

Stories like this pop up all the time. I don’t think it’s limited to ‘care’ industries. This is just humanity - apart from isolated examples of niceness our species is just horrible. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

There’s no Plan A either. 

Oh, I think there is. 

The changes that have been instigated, and those still yet to come, have been set out over two administrations and funding for them planned over a similar time frame (wasn't it £20 million over 5 years at £4 million each and every year no matter which administration is in.). I remember someone at the time commenting about committing future administration to annual funding for it on such a basis. 

38 minutes ago, Kopek said:

There must be people who are capable of improving our service? They may need to be given Carte Blanche to achieve the end result,

They are here now and are doing just that with strictly no political interference. I understand the message has gone out now to all MHKs - do not get involved in constituent health matters directly - they have to go through MCALs just like the rest of us. And that is where they will get their answers from as well. 

Maybe we will end up just like the Isle of Wight service but we are too small now to fund and actually staff the delivery of a sophisticated health and social care system that is robust and safe enough to meet current and future needs.

• Like 1

Just now, wrighty said:

Not watched it but heard about it on R4.

Stories like this pop up all the time. I don’t think it’s limited to ‘care’ industries. This is just humanity - apart from isolated examples of niceness our species is just horrible. 

Yes, probably right, but add in hypocritical. 

Either we care or we couldn't give a toss, so anyone needing a toss needs to sort themselves out. 

5 minutes ago, Apple said:

Oh, I think there is. 

The changes that have been instigated, and those still yet to come, have been set out over two administrations and funding for them planned over a similar time frame (wasn't it £20 million over 5 years at £4 million each and every year no matter which administration is in.). I remember someone at the time commenting about committing future administration to annual funding for it on such a basis. 

They are here now and are doing just that with strictly no political interference. I understand the message has gone out now to all MHKs - do not get involved in constituent health matters directly - they have to go through MCALs just like the rest of us. And that is where they will get their answers from as well. 

Maybe we will end up just like the Isle of Wight service but we are too small now to fund and actually staff the delivery of a sophisticated health and social care system that is robust and safe enough to meet current and future needs.

What is MCALS? 

Just now, Gladys said:

What is MCALS? 

The new term for the complaints department, effectively. ‘Manx Care Advice and Liaison Service’ I think. Go through them, not your MHK, if you have an issue with appointment cancellations, waiting times, rude doctors, medical negligence etc. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Holte End said:

I hate people who say 'learning curve'. One of my old bosses use to say it, when he had fuck up or when he didn't have a clue what he was doing.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/there-are-polarised-views-of-dhsc-says-callister/

No doubt he will soon say he’s getting all the ducks in a row & some blue sky thinking is needed!!

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, wrighty said:

I think this is wrong. Of course we need the UK for the complex and the rare, but for the simple routine business of healthcare the last thing we need to do is partner the UK. Their NHS is on its knees. I was at a conference last week and speaking to several friends who still work there, the last thing we need is to be a satellite unit of an NHS trust. If that’s what we do we’ll always be an afterthought and the first to suffer in times of stress (ie always)

What we need is to make working here significantly more attractive than working there and get people to commit to the island’s health service long term, rather than relying on a succession of interim appointments who are seen as the next saviour figure. And this isn’t just about money - it’s about working conditions. Let’s offer mentoring for all new starters, retention premiums, free childcare and other employment perks, sabbaticals, guaranteed wind down working from age 55. Many other things I might not have thought of. 

I still maintain that healthcare here is pretty good if you can access it. And that is the problem. The admin side needs to be improved with regard to cancellations which we’ve all heard about. And access needs to be improved which simply means more staff. Attracting them has to be a priority. 

Thank you Wrighty, you have given me hope that there is a future for our health service.  

Do you think Manx care had the appetite and will to make the required changes?  

I don't believe our politicians have the backbone or nouse to prevent us becoming a IOM NHS trust. Sir Jonathan and his merry band have a lot to answer for.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Gladys said:

Well quite, but more to the point how has the 'structure' been allowed to fail in such a terrible way. 

We have seen one CQC  report into our own health service, will the others be published? 

We know our mental health services are poor, do we have similar issues in our system for vulnerable people whether through age or mental health? 

Her Majesty and I watched that last night and we both looked at each other and said in tandem... "Leadership". In other words if it's rotten at the top then you should probably expect the same lower down the order. 

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, wrighty said:

The new term for the complaints department, effectively. ‘Manx Care Advice and Liaison Service’ I think. Go through them, not your MHK, if you have an issue with appointment cancellations, waiting times, rude doctors, medical negligence etc. 

Will be a busy department then. How many work in that department?

• Like 1