IOM DHSC & MANX CARE

Cassie2

5 hours ago, Ghost Ship said:

Both @Ham_N_Eggs and I suggested in the "Ashford: Should he stay or should he go?" thread on 17 and 19 May that Tynwald could easily have amended or temporarily suspended the relevant Standing Order if they'd wanted to.  But no, unlike any other democratic legislative assembly they'd prefer to be more restricted as to what subject matter they can discuss than people outside that assembly.

You also put the point very well yourself in the same thread:

No doubt the problem is the people who get elected are easily distracted by all the smoke and mirrors and ceremony attendant on Tynwald, and they don't have the confidence or assertiveness to stand up and say "Why can't we do that?"

And if they're told they can't do it because that's what the rules say:  "Well what's to stop us changing the rules?  We are Tynwald. This is an important matter that the electorate* wants discussed and we look weak if we can't do so."

*Or a couple of people on Manx Forums at least...

Or, more succinctly, if our elected representatives are not in charge, WTF is? 

2 hours ago, Boo Gay'n said:

Look at page 10 of this document - the seating plan.  Ignoring the CoMin secretary, there are four technocrats - AG, CFO, Chief Secretary and head of comms.  There is your answer Gladys.

Now 404s - and it's not your link as googling for it produces the same result.

Interestingly there's a number of statements being made in tomorrow's Tynwald, including one on governance:

3. Update on Public Service Governance
Statement to be made by the Chief Minister.
4. Update on Public Services Commission
Statement to be made by the Minister for the Cabinet Office.
5. Financial Statement
Statement to be made by the Minister for the Treasury.

4 hours ago, Boo Gay'n said:

Look at page 10 of this document - the seating plan.  Ignoring the CoMin secretary, there are four technocrats - AG, CFO, Chief Secretary and head of comms.  There is your answer Gladys.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Now 404s - and it's not your link as googling for it produces the same result.

They've updated it this month: https://www.gov.im/media/1378023/the-government-code-october-2022-chapter-7-update.pdf

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cissolt said:

Another £18 million for manxcare being pushed through today.

Clare Christian asked an interesting question regarding procurement and conflict of interests between Manx care board members and the provider.  

Would also be interesting to find out how many “subject matter experts”, so-referred in minutes, have been engaged, who recommended them, what the recruitment process was, what qualifications made them “subject matter experts “ and how much is being paid out!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cissolt said:

Another £18 million for manxcare being pushed through today.

Clare Christian asked an interesting question regarding procurement and conflict of interests between Manx care board members and the provider.  

Perhaps I'm confused, but isn't Manx Care the provider and DHSC (or whatever it's called) the commissioner?

If so, I'd have thought any potential conflicts would lie with individuals on the commissioner's management and/or board, not Manx Care's.

(Not that I fully understand the need for a purchaser/provider split somewhere as small as the IoM.  Yes, I suppose there may be some benefits, but unless there's a lot of competition on the supply side of the service - and I presume there isn't really - then I'm not sure how cost effective those benefits can be... )

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ghost Ship said:

Perhaps I'm confused, but isn't Manx Care the provider and DHSC (or whatever it's called) the commissioner?

If so, I'd have thought any potential conflicts would lie with individuals on the commissioner's management and/or board, not Manx Care's.

(Not that I fully understand the need for a purchaser/provider split somewhere as small as the IoM.  Yes, I suppose there may be some benefits, but unless there's a lot of competition on the supply side of the service - and I presume there isn't really - then I'm not sure how cost effective those benefits can be... )

I've not heard the report, but  I am guessing it refers to a perceived conflict between Manx Care board members and suppliers to Manx Care, such as Spire, perhaps? 

10 hours ago, Ghost Ship said:

Not that I fully understand the need for a purchaser/provider split somewhere as small as the IoM.  Yes, I suppose there may be some benefits, but unless there's a lot of competition on the supply side of the service - and I presume there isn't really - then I'm not sure how cost effective those benefits can be... )

Agreed

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ghost Ship said:

You may have spotted this elsewhere on MF, but the summary is that Sir Jonathan Michael was engaged to review the island's health and care system and sold us the diet version of England's Lansley 'reforms' just at the time that everyone across realised that they didn't really work.  This was all announced to hurrahs in Tynwald in 2019.  We will suffer the negative consequences for a generation unless, à la Truss, someone apologises for making a terrible mistake and reverses such a costly and ineffective experiment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5